Waves plugins - Multiple versions

Discuss VST stuff here!
Despondo
Competition Winner

30 Jun 2017

Recently I took advantage of a few sales from Waves and bought a few of their plugins. Having never used Waves VSTs before, I am a bit perplexed on why there are sometimes dozens of options for 1 plugin.

For example, I recently bought and installed H-Reverb Hybrid Reverb and get so many entries in the browser that it is hard to choose which version given the job at hand. Some make sense, like the Stereo, Mono and 5.1 versions, but others aren't as clear.

Anyone who is familiar with Waves plugins want to chime in and tell me when I should use what version?

Thanks!
Screen Shot 2017-06-30 at 9.01.45 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-30 at 9.01.45 AM.png (212.1 KiB) Viewed 2926 times

Ahornberg

30 Jun 2017

I always take the stereo version.

joeyluck

30 Jun 2017

That looks awful to deal with. I would personally deactivate the ones I don't use regularly and reactivate them if and when I do need them.

Noise
Competition Winner

30 Jun 2017

Do you like this plugin ? I'm tempted
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

Staarchylld

30 Jun 2017

Sounds really good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hauser+Quaid

30 Jun 2017

Yeah just deactivate the ones you'll never use (probably the Stereo one is the only one you actually WILL use). I did this with a bunch of the Waves and UA ones I have to reduce clutter.

aeox
Competition Winner

30 Jun 2017

just keep mono and stereo. 5.0, and 5.1 are surround sound but you can activate them later if you need them.

davidvilla

30 Jun 2017

The manual explains it:

WaveShell technology enables us to split Waves processors into smaller plugins, which we call components. Having a choice of components for a particular processor gives you the flexibility to choose the configuration best suited to your material.

H-Reverb has two sets of time components: regular H-Reverb components that allow up to six seconds of reverb time, and “long” H-Reverb components that allow up to 12 seconds of reverb time. The main reason for having two components is to give you some control over the amount of CPU consumption: the long components take up approximately 30% more CPU, but we believe it’s only rarely that you will need more than six seconds of reverb time.

Each set of time components includes several channel configuration components, including mono, mono-to-stereo, and stereo. For those of you engaged in surround sound production, we also offer mono and stereo to 5.0 or 5.1 multichannel formats, as well as 5-to-5 and 5.1-to-5.1 to insert across full surround auxiliaries.

miscend

30 Jun 2017

It's annoying as hell. Just keep the stereo version and the long stereo.

clone

30 Jun 2017

joeyluck wrote:
30 Jun 2017
That looks awful to deal with. I would personally deactivate the ones I don't use regularly and reactivate them if and when I do need them.

Yeah I was wondering if I could do that, don't think I will be using mono stuff. How do you deactivate a plugin?

joeyluck

30 Jun 2017

clone wrote:
30 Jun 2017
joeyluck wrote:
30 Jun 2017

Yeah I was wondering if I could do that, don't think I will be using mono stuff. How do you deactivate a plugin?
From Reason, go to:
Window > Manage Plugins

Then select the ones you want to disable and click 'disable.' I used the incorrect term earlier. But there it is.

Do the same to enable them. This allows you to keep plugins installed, but out of the Browser. Of course, if you have plugins you end up never using, you can consider uninstalling those by deleting them from their folders.

Despondo
Competition Winner

01 Jul 2017

Thanks. This clears things up a bit. Just curious, when would you use the 5.0 version? I would think that anyone doing surround at all would have a SUB, making it 5.1. Perhaps since you'd never want to add too many effects to a SUB signal?

scratchnsnifff

01 Jul 2017

I had to get infected mushrooms pusher plugin and I like it a lot! I had the same question thanks for the infp on how to get rid of the duplicates! Personally I don't find many of waves plugins to be all that mind blowing. Codex is cool for sequences but it feels like a toy (that's how I'd put it) I think malstroms is better to use. Maybe I'm just use to malstrom. But are there any other waves plugins that are must haves? I'm trying to like them but so far not that much luck. Sorry for my little rant lol
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Hauser+Quaid

02 Jul 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:
01 Jul 2017
I had to get infected mushrooms pusher plugin and I like it a lot! I had the same question thanks for the infp on how to get rid of the duplicates! Personally I don't find many of waves plugins to be all that mind blowing. Codex is cool for sequences but it feels like a toy (that's how I'd put it) I think malstroms is better to use. Maybe I'm just use to malstrom. But are there any other waves plugins that are must haves? I'm trying to like them but so far not that much luck. Sorry for my little rant lol
I find Waves to be one of those things that if you get a chance to get a bundle (like now) on sale, they're worth having as a suite. As a bunch of one-offs I find them not as necessary, and there are better (often cheaper) alternatives.

There are a few Waves plugs I personally can't live without. RVox is one of them. I've done vocals with that plug for over 10 years and I can't imagine doing them without it. Another one also for vocals is CLA Vocals. Again, just slap it on and you're good to go.

I also like the Renaissance suite, very useful utility plugins. But times have changed which is probably why there are so many Waves sales these days and there are a lot more kids on the block. And the new kids make better and often cheaper plugs.

• Information