Samplers for Reason 9.5

Discuss VST stuff here!
jmusic

16 Jun 2017

What are or is some great samplers that are very similar to "Sampler" and "Simpler" in Ableton Live 9? Anyway to use "Simpler and or "Sampler" from Ableton Live 9 in Reason 9.5 without using ReWire? Anyway to convert "Sampler" and or "Simpler" to VST to use in Reason 9.5?

geekles

16 Jun 2017

Redux from the makers of Renoise is pretty sweet.

stephensmattlee

17 Jun 2017

Really like the TAL-Sampler, also acts and a synthesiser too as well as sampling capabilities. Can also use the DAC controls to add lo-fi vintage sampler emulation [emoji4]

https://tal-software.com/products/tal-sampler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsp

17 Jun 2017

The day Reason 9.5 was released, I bought two sampler VSTs:

1) Renoise Redux

pros:
+ CPU efficient
+ hi-fi sound
+ mono and stereo samples
+ note or velocity switched keyzones
+ mute groups
+ "alt" sample selection
+ complex parameter modulation chains (similar to Ableton Live or Fabfilter)
+ allows you to route samples through an arbitrary number of internal FX chains
+ FX chains can be routed to other FX chains or to up to 12 individual outputs
+ lots of builtin FX (e.g. transient shaper, convolution reverb, delays, filters, ..)
+ builtin "tracker"-style "phrase" sequencer which can be played polyphonically
+ 8 macro parameters (very similar to Reason's combinator programmer)
+ XML based file format (in case you want to write your own patch generators)
+ builtin sample editor
+ undo/redo works as expected
+ imports mp3s
+ it actually samples (has a stereo input)

cons:
- fixed polyphony (either mono or 12 voices)
- no easy way to modulate sample or loop start / end
- samples are always embedded (flac compressed)
- per-voice bitcrusher/sample rate reducer cannot be filtered (only via an FX chain filter)
- no easy way to modulate e.g. the amp release of all samples/zones

summary:
This sampler was not exactly made for beginners. It takes some practice to wrap your head around all its features. Especially the phrase sequencer is quite unique and very handy for drums or for programming advanced modulation patterns -- it's even possible to use it for wavetable sounds (via sample select + slide).

2) TAL sampler

pros:
+ crunchy, lo-fi sound that emulates old E-Mu and Akai samplers
+ mono and stereo samples
+ microtuning support (can import .tun files)
+ per-voice "randomization" via the "Service Control" dialog
+ up to 4 sample layers, each with their own set of keyzones ("mappings")
+ mute groups
+ 10-slot mod matrix
+ sample/loop start/end modulation (also works while sample is playing)
+ realtime stretching (probably via time domain overlap-add, sounds very 90ies Akai)
+ XML based file format (in case you want to write your own patch generators)
+ undo/redo works as expected
+ imports mp3s
+ mod matrix ADSR targets modulate all layers / keyzones

cons:
- relatively high CPU load
- no "alt" sample selection
- no individual outputs
- no sample editor (only a viewer)
- file browser does not remember last selected path
- SFZ/SF2 importer only seems to import single samples
- on *rare* occasions, it kills all Reason audio (no crash. My guess is that this has to do with denormalized floats. It usually happened after turning on the filter)
- it can't sample, it only replays existing samples
- it cannot open its own patch files (.talsmpl) via drag'n'drop

summary:
Since there is no "alt" sample selection feature and no individual outputs, this sampler is not the best choice for entire drum kits but If you're looking for an easy to use "creative" sampler that adds a lot of color, this is it.

Both samplers cost ~60e and are definitely worth the asking price, IMHO.

Ahornberg

17 Jun 2017

jmusic wrote:
16 Jun 2017
What are or is some great samplers that are very similar to "Sampler" and "Simpler" in Ableton Live 9? Anyway to use "Simpler and or "Sampler" from Ableton Live 9 in Reason 9.5 without using ReWire? Anyway to convert "Sampler" and or "Simpler" to VST to use in Reason 9.5?
It sounds like you want to use patches for Sampler/Simpler anyway in Reason. Maybe there is a software to convert from Sampler/Simpler to NN-XT? Maybe ask in an Ableton forum.

EnochLight

17 Jun 2017

A sampler is only as good as its available library, IMHO, and for that reason alone it seems like Kontakt 5 is the sampler to get. Its on-board library comes with 1,000+ instruments and 43+ GB of content.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Oquasec

17 Jun 2017

There's thousands of good plugins out there to get amazing results but you will definitely always have the few being mentioned [great marketing I also own kontakt/omnisphere]
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Marc Swing

17 Jun 2017

BRIGGS

17 Jun 2017

Is there not an easy mode for kontakt?
r11s

Goriila Texas

17 Jun 2017

EnochLight wrote:
17 Jun 2017
A sampler is only as good as its available library, IMHO, and for that reason alone it seems like Kontakt 5 is the sampler to get. Its on-board library comes with 1,000+ instruments and 43+ GB of content.
You can't sample in Kontakt. People who chop samples up could careless about the libraries the samplers come with,it's all about functionality and ease of use of the sampler. Just look at the comparison by user bsp,which is very good.

Watching this thread as I'm looking for an new sampler editor.

Goriila Texas

17 Jun 2017

Goriila Texas wrote:
17 Jun 2017
EnochLight wrote:
17 Jun 2017
You can't sample in Kontakt and everything is very small in Kontakt. The editor can be detached for bigger view but trying to drag samples to keys is a pita and I NI knows it that's why they give you a choice for an editor in Kontakt. People who chop samples up could careless about the libraries the samplers come with,it's all about functionality and ease of use of the sampler. Just look at the comparison by user bsp,which is very good.

Watching this thread as I'm looking for an new sampler editor.

aburazaru

18 Jun 2017

What are you trying to do, a little more specifically? I don't know what sampler/simpler is, as I haven't played with ableton in many years. But between what you can do in reason with NN19 (to play samples back in different notes), the sequencer window (time stretch etc...), and rex or octorex (chop, shuffle, juggle, flip, flop and tumble) or, if you're an old-school reason user like me, ReCycle (other fancy business), you can typically get a lot done right there without having to spend bucks or figure out

Not trying to be an "OMG Reason is the best ever" dude, BUT, it's got some pretty decent tools built in. If what you're doing is outside of that, we might have a better idea of what direction to point you.
How was I supposed to know "don't touch" meant to not push the big...red...button?

EnochLight

18 Jun 2017

Goriila Texas wrote:
17 Jun 2017
You can't sample in Kontakt.
It has a sample editor and offers the ability to create sample libraries. Isn't that sampling?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

nix808

18 Jun 2017

Sampling can also mean recording, EnochLight
I think that's what was meant

Goriila Texas

18 Jun 2017

EnochLight wrote:
18 Jun 2017
Goriila Texas wrote:
17 Jun 2017
It has a sample editor and offers the ability to create sample libraries. Isn't that sampling?
Not really how I want to use it. I think what the OP is looking for a sampler with the functionality of an MPC,where you record,chop,crop and drag samples on keys inside the editor for playing chops.
Last edited by Goriila Texas on 18 Jun 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Ahornberg

18 Jun 2017

aburazaru wrote:
18 Jun 2017
What are you trying to do, a little more specifically? ...
Ye, I think that's the question ... an then choose your tool. :ugeek:

EnochLight

18 Jun 2017

nix808 wrote:
18 Jun 2017
Sampling can also mean recording, EnochLight
I think that's what was meant
Goriila Texas wrote:
18 Jun 2017
EnochLight wrote:
18 Jun 2017
Goriila Texas wrote:
17 Jun 2017
Not really how I want to use it. I think what the OP is looking for a sampler with the functionality of an MPC,where you record,chop,crop and drag samples on keys inside the editor for playing chops.
Gotcha.

OverneathTheSkyBridg

24 Jun 2017

I came from a background of using trackers for music creation, and Redux was the thing I was most excited about when Reason added VST support. It's sample editor alone is everything the Reason sampler SHOULD be.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

QVprod

25 Jun 2017

Goriila Texas wrote:
18 Jun 2017
EnochLight wrote:
18 Jun 2017

Actually the only thing you can't do in Kontakt is record audio. Everything else can be done. Most folks sampling nowadays though aren't recording audio unless they're sampling with hardware.

Goriila Texas

25 Jun 2017

QVprod wrote:
25 Jun 2017
Goriila Texas wrote:
18 Jun 2017

Actually the only thing you can't do in Kontakt is record audio. Everything else can be done. Most folks sampling nowadays though aren't recording audio unless they're sampling with hardware.
A lot of old heads and the new school are moving towards using software or hybrid setups like Maschine or the new MPC. I personally don't like Kontakt for chopping loops because UI imo is just too small.

EnochLight

25 Jun 2017

Goriila Texas wrote:
25 Jun 2017
I personally don't like Kontakt for chopping loops because UI imo is just too small.
This was one of the reasons I returned Exhale and Rev (well, that and I wanted to buy a guitar LOL)!

QVprod

25 Jun 2017

Goriila Texas wrote:
25 Jun 2017
QVprod wrote:
25 Jun 2017

A lot of old heads and the new school are moving towards using software or hybrid setups like Maschine or the new MPC. I personally don't like Kontakt for chopping loops because UI imo is just too small.
True but typically they're using an MP3/wav file rather than recording live audio with Machine being that it's really software based . The new MPC would count as hardware being that it can function standalone without a computer. As for not chopping in Kontakt, I can understand that. I prefer to use a DAW sequencer for that myself and import the chops into a sampler afterwards. I was responding to you seeming to say it can't be done.

Goriila Texas

25 Jun 2017

edison_screenshot.jpg
edison_screenshot.jpg (159.79 KiB) Viewed 5329 times

An audio editor… as a plugin ... or standalone

You may load as many instances of edison as you desire, in any number of mixer tracks or effects locations.

Key features:
Optimized for sampler use (sampler region, seamless looping)
Drumloop slicing (auto-slicing, slice manipulation)
Quick drag&drop support (between instances or to your sequencer/other plugins)
Various recording modes (start/stop with host, on audio input, can also work as transparent audio logger)
Time manipulation (time stretching/pitch shifting, scratching)
Effects: convolution reverb, blur, linear-phase equalization, ...
High-quality resampling
The smoothest spectral analysis display
Click-free editing
Full undo history
Intuitive editing with key feature tool-buttons
(Pascal) scripted manipulation of waveforms
Control surface support (FL Studio 8 version)

Or SliceX
slicex.jpg
slicex.jpg (56.29 KiB) Viewed 5329 times

Slicex Screenshot (Click for larger image)

A new way of slicing

If the wave file contains slice/region data this will be automatically used instead of the beat-detection algorithm.

Slicex offers playback, reordering of slices and time-stretching capabilities optimized for drum loops.

Related plugins are the Fruity Slicer and Edison.

• Information