Controlling Drum Sampler VSTs with Redrum

Discuss VST stuff here!
decoyz

16 Jun 2017

So I upgraded to 9.5 recently - very cool! Have been playing with NI Komplete in Reason and am really struggling to find a solution to something that seems like it should be straightforward. Essentially I would like to be able to control drum samplers like Battery 4 or Polyplex with a step sequencer like Redrum. IE: have each channel of Redrum trigger a cell in Battery 4 or Polyplex. Unfortunately I only have one gate cv on the VST device in the rack whereas I need outs for each drum cell that I want to control.

I thought perhaps one of the CV control parameters I can assign to "Modulation CV In" on the device might do the job but I have no idea where to start as they're all unnamed for me and I'm not certain any of them even will correspond to the gate of any of the cells of either plugin.

Has anybody come up with a solution for this? It would be extremely handy - I can't face drawing drum patterns by hand in the piano roll!

Thanks!

decoyz

16 Jun 2017

Wow, this is genius! Would never have come up with this myself - thanks so much, it works perfectly. Note for anybody who comes across this solution who wants to control Polyplex with it - the lowest octave you can use to trigger Polyplex's pads is C3 - C4 so you'll need to go into ljekio's combinator and change the value of each Thor's step sequencer from C1, C#1, etc up to values that Polyplex can take as inputs.

ljekio

17 Jun 2017

Good what you understood it.
I gave several times that link without any response.
I think there is one way for Reason CV sequencers with able CV control for VSTi drum instruments.
Assuming a difficulty of understanding, leading questions would help to solve the problem. But even there were no questions.

Redster

18 Jun 2017

Yes it is great ljekio. I have been playing around with it and I guess there no way to get all 16 of propulsion channels playing the same vst. I have tried chaining mopol devices but they are limited to 8 channels. Also tried combining note and gate from 2 mopol using spiders with no luck so far... is there an internal limitation to how many poly can be sent through one cv note and gate pipe?

Btw you can replace the 8 instances of Thor with one Cv8x4 and dial in the note data on one pannel. Cv8x4 is also free.

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... generator/

ljekio

19 Jun 2017

Yes, 8 is limit of MoPol, unfortunately. And I haven't ideas how to overcome it.
Thor is necessary for it because CV Notes not can be static value for MoPol.
If Propulsion be have note outputs (like Tick tick sequencer) Thors will not need then.

Redster

19 Jun 2017

The only way I can see how to utilise all 16 channels is to use two instances of the vst.

With kontakt based kits you can unload certain drum sounds, so you can have one instance running kick snare hats toms and another cymbals and percussion.

By unloading some elements you save some resources...

It is a bit of a cludge though...

Redster

19 Jun 2017

I have posted a setup for Propulsion that works with 16 channels here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7490538&p=339679#p339679

I will do one specifically for ReDrum in the morning.

Red
Last edited by Redster on 24 Jun 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Redster

23 Jun 2017

Here ReDrum running Kontakt Studio Drummer. There are 2 instances of Redrum for 16 channels.

You can swap out the two instances of Kontakt for any other VST drum sampler, but you may need to use the CV8X4's to dial in the drum hits, although for the most part this is pretty generic.

Unfortunately, ReDrum's Hard, Med and Lo hits are far too distant for Studio Drummer to be worthwhile. You will need to scale the CV input within your Drum VST of choice. I guess there may be a CV velocity input scaler but I cant find it....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b4ic89t3616kl ... eason?dl=0

Red
Last edited by Redster on 24 Jun 2017, edited 2 times in total.

Redster

23 Jun 2017

Here is ReDrum running 8 pads of Battery with separate SSL channels....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/koolx9mmwsyqz ... eason?dl=0

This works much better than Studio Drummer. I have named the ReDrum channels using blank audio files which I have self-contained in the song so it should all label up correctly.

I really like being able to drag cells around in Battery, it makes it dead easy to switch out drums at will.

Also you can use the rotaries on the CV8X4 to "scan" the drum cell you wish to trigger (hold shift for fine tune).

Red over and out.
Last edited by Redster on 24 Jun 2017, edited 3 times in total.

Redster

24 Jun 2017

And here is ReDrum running 8 pads of Polyplex sent to 8 separate SSL channels. Cripples the CPU though....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lki3kpnorhbt0 ... eason?dl=0

Red

• Information