(electronic) Untitled0171

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Steedus
Competition Winner

19 Jun 2017

Been mostly in a slump for a number of years, but slowly getting creative again. I just completed this demo track and kinda at the last minute decided it needed some African vocals (been listening to Bonobo's Bambro Koyo Ganda track too much probably :P). I happened to come across this at the start of a long random youtube video of various recordings. I'm totally stealing it I know, but how would I go about seeking proper licensing for such a sample?

Anyway, what do you think? Do the vocals work? I've never used a vocal sample like this before and I was surprised at just how well it seemed to fit. I would appreciate the feedback.

timaeus185

19 Jun 2017

hi, nice track, well crafted though the mix except drums sounds a bit flat. I see the influence of bonobo and I would recommend a patient A/B referencing with his track to improve the mixing.
re samples my suggestion would be for you to try to recreate the African samples, to license it you would need to contact the source of it which might be not easy. Anyhow I would hear a nice female voice singing on this track, I think it would make it even more original
well done! cheers

Wickline

19 Jun 2017

The vibe on this is awesome dude. I'd listen to this while driving. Same goes for your other stuff.
Only real negative I have is the water drop sample ending. I've heard it before somewhere and it's bugging the shit out of me. Just pulls me out of the mood completely. Might just be me though.
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:

[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

Steedus
Competition Winner

19 Jun 2017

Ha yeah, the water drop is just a stock sound from Reason so I'm sure it's the kind of cheesy thing that's been used a million times. Just wanted to mix up using that same old crash cymbal sound. I'll continue to work on it. Thanks.

timaeus, I wasn't trying to make the track sound like Bonobo or anything, just figured that's where the vocal idea came from. Trying to re-creating vocals like that is probably out of my reach. But yeah I'll look into updating the vocal samples if I find something better. I sort of just slapped them in at the last minute. Thanks.

Hoyos

19 Jun 2017

Really digging the vocals, and the panned percussion. Love the relaxing feel to it!

Audiotic

22 Jun 2017

Nice. Love the relaxed atmosphere. Vocals fit well!
Is the guitar a sample or recorded/programmed yourself?
The kickdrum is a bit to prominent in the upper ranges for my taste, could be problematic on some speakers...
I'd like to hear some more playing with that bass, like that transition at 1:51. Potential there!
Good job!

Steedus
Competition Winner

22 Jun 2017

Thanks. The guitar is from an old demo I found in my backlog .. I wanted to re-record it but I'm missing the top e string on my guitar right now and I think I need it for this part.

And yes, I'm pretty terrible at good bass lines. I'll continue to play around. Thanks. Probably going to bite the bullet and upgrade from 6.5 to 9.5 over the weekend which might help expand the sound :)

• Information