Serum keeps crashing

Discuss VST stuff here!
plasticfractal

18 Jun 2017

Is anyone else having this problem? I just got Serum (v1.20b4). I can open it in a track once and select a patch. If I try to open it again, it crashes and Reason sandboxes it and it can't be used. If I save the track in that state, I will not be able to open Serum again if I reopen the file. Other VSTs seem to be working for me, but Serum crashes every time.

etyrnal

19 Jun 2017

I still can't believe everyone wanted vst in reason so badly. These problems are the reason I abandoned other Daws and stayed with propellerhead all these years.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

EnochLight

19 Jun 2017

plasticfractal wrote:
18 Jun 2017
Is anyone else having this problem? I just got Serum (v1.20b4). I can open it in a track once and select a patch. If I try to open it again, it crashes and Reason sandboxes it and it can't be used. If I save the track in that state, I will not be able to open Serum again if I reopen the file. Other VSTs seem to be working for me, but Serum crashes every time.
I'm currently on 1.113 (August 10, 2016) and it's rock solid. Have you tried downgrading to 1.113?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Oquasec

19 Jun 2017

While I have no issues with vsts being in Reason, there was already emi or rewire specifically for those.
What got me using vsts more often again was the obvious, the cv system :lol:

It was unnecessary giving Reason an exclusive toolset like that on top of another exclusive to reason only format.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

EnochLight

19 Jun 2017

etyrnal wrote:
19 Jun 2017
I still can't believe everyone wanted vst in reason so badly. These problems are the reason I abandoned other Daws and stayed with propellerhead all these years.
Well, problems like the OP is having can often be addressed by downgrading to a previous version that worked fine. If an RE dev issues a bunk update and you Sync All, you're pretty much screwed until the dev issues a fix. And people wanted VST in Reason so badly because synths like Serum and VPS Avenger, along with a plethora of other titles, can elevate your production's potential ten-fold. And I say this as a 17 year-Reason-veteran who will take Reason to the grave with him. :D

But, I understand that VST is not for everyone. It's just nice that we all have a choice, now.
Oquasec wrote:
19 Jun 2017
While I have no issues with vsts being in Reason, there was already emi or rewire specifically for those.
EMI/ReWire was not even remotely close to what we can do with actual VST support in Reason, IMHO.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Oquasec

19 Jun 2017

You have a point. You couldn't combine a vst with a Rack extension/Reason device like that before 9.5.
You had access to the public [everybody had that version of the vst] version.

Then propellerhead did the unthinkable and gave Reason a huge addition that is really gigantic if you understand why it is such a big deal in the first place giving reason a second format with native control voltage support when you already had millions of possible configurations prior :?

It's like propellerhead was making Reason a second kyma or something
Producer/Programmer.

jonheal

19 Jun 2017

etyrnal wrote:
19 Jun 2017

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
I am experimenting only with Reaktor in Reason, and while I have had no crashes, there are certainly usability issues, or at least "quirks."

It is possible that the use of VSTs in Reason, over the long haul, will result in a reduction of stability for the environment. Exactly what Propellerhead harped on for all those years.

But there is an easy fix: If they annoy you with their quirks/issues/crashes, don't use VSTs. It's not mandatory.
Last edited by jonheal on 19 Jun 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

Oquasec

19 Jun 2017

He hit the nail on the head. Stick to rack extensions and Native if you don't wanna use vsts and use reason the regular way. :roll:
Sticking to the A-Series rack extension for my fully modular needs
Producer/Programmer.

EnochLight

19 Jun 2017

At the OP: email Steve direct for faster help at steve AT xferrecords.com

Looks like Steve Duda just released this Serum update yesterday. Here's the release notes:
Please note: all graphics require a Skins folder, if you are getting an error, you should check the default location that Serum installs to:
MacOS: (command-shift-G in Finder):
/Library/Audio/Presets/Xfer Records/Serum Presets/
Windows:
\Documents\Xfer\Serum Presets\
look for Skins folder there and move the (other/correct) Serum Presets folder.
And the details:

changes for 1.20b1:
mostly focused around GUI re-write, a number of changes under the hood for other future features
• added: default oversampling level now (optionally) can be set in Serum.cfg file (otherwise 2x as usual)
• added: WT Editor->Add/Remove menu->Reduce submenu: thins the number of frames, in order to easily keep only every Nth frame.
• added: ability to get a separate vertical grid size for the LFO with text entry: double-click on grid size (assuming pref enabled) and type e.g. 8,12 for 8 horizontal and 12 vertical grid lines.
• added: secondary sort method for preset browser, Serum will remember the previous column you clicked for ordering and use that as a secondary ordering: e.g. click Location column, presets are sorted by location. Then click Rating column and the presets will be sorted by Rating, but the sorting within a given rating will be ordered by Location.
• added: alt-drag LFO tile to WT now an official feature / works on Windows too
• added: preset name is now rescanned on Serum instances re-opening (for checkmark / menu advancing)
• added: resizable interface (lower-right corner), zoom menu in top-left (Serum logo) and preference/setting in Zoom Menu for default window size.
• fix: oversampling level wasn’t visually updating on preset changes unless GUI closed/reopened
• fix: a project saved with hidden piano keyboard was not visually re-opening properly on song reload in some hosts
• fix: dragging macro mod sources weren’t changing mouse cursor to ‘+’ on some systems
• fix: right-clicking env curve handles would visually reset to linear but would revert to the previous curve if not touched further.
• fix: it was possible to get the mouse ‘stuck’ held on the page selector buttons if using both mouse buttons.
• fix: using copy Osc A<>B could lead to a crash with active voices playing in certain situations
• fix: pressing ESC with a pop-up text entry enabled could crash FL studio (as ESC was closing the Serum window and the text entry simultaneously).
• fix: improvements to ‘clear effect tails on transport stop’ (reduced CPU)
• fix: some small memory leaks surrounding preset browser searches
• fix: non-visible LFO rate on active notes wasn’t updating when automating rates directly in host.
• fix: Smooth knob on LFO 5-8 was not working in all situations
• fix: Preset folders containing a single-quote (‘) were not appearing in browser or could cause issues
• fix: fixes to double-click for type-able values on Windows
• fix: exporting 16-bit wav files would incorrectly export full code sample values as full negative
• fix: in some cases a preset made “init preset” default saw would, once reloaded after other presets, retain the oscillator shape to from previous preset.
• fix: checkmarks weren’t showing on Matrix mod destination menus when the assignment was made via drag and drop (until window reopened).
• fix: ‘Var” parameter for Combs/Allpasses/Reverb filters was not displaying the text label (‘Damp’).
• fix: effects were not resuming from suspend if source signal 100% R channel only
• fix: loading LFO shapes could parse an improper curve or Y value in some rare situations
• fix: adding LFO loop points and switching to Off mode would not remove the loop points until updating the LFO graph
• fix: when exporting the entire effect rack (creating .fxr files) the effect chain order and module-bypasses were not saving correctly.
• fix: when browsing presets, Macro knob values were not loading correctly in Reason 9.5
1.20b2 changes:
• signed installer for MacOS Update
• fix for some machines on text entry affecting first run
1.20b3 changes:
• fix: in previous 1.2 versions, LFO grid size was not adjusting vertical snaps
• fix: in previous 1.2 versions, Serum AAX could become bypass-enabled which changing presets
• fix: in previous 1.2 versions, in some hosts, resize was stealing pop-text entry and shrinking entire UI to 50% size
• added: if oversampling is set in config to non-2x the oversampling lock will also enable.
1.20b4 changes:
• fix on Windows for missing (tiny) plug-in window on first run
• fix on Windows for LFO mod source tiles sometimes invisible when UI set to 90%
• fix issue where voice filter would stick quietly ‘ringing’ after a note off in rare situations
• fix: LFO Grid Size wasn’t accepting all mouse events in 1.20b3

EnochLight

19 Jun 2017

plasticfractal wrote:
18 Jun 2017
Is anyone else having this problem? I just got Serum (v1.20b4).
v1.20b5 is out now. Have you tried that to see if it fixes your issue?

plasticfractal

19 Jun 2017

EnochLight wrote:
19 Jun 2017
plasticfractal wrote:
18 Jun 2017
Thanks, I just installed. The problem doesn't seem to be there now. It appears to be working perfectly now.

EnochLight

19 Jun 2017

plasticfractal wrote:
19 Jun 2017
EnochLight wrote:
19 Jun 2017
plasticfractal wrote:
18 Jun 2017
Thanks, I just installed. The problem doesn't seem to be there now. It appears to be working perfectly now.
Good to hear, because I'm planning on installing tonight just for the resizable GUI/UX alone! ;)

scratchnsnifff

20 Jun 2017

Have you installed any recent patches or wavetables? I went in my folders and put wavetables in the patch folder and it made serum crash and couldn't even open it, I only bring it up because that has been the only thing that has made it crash for me, hope this helps?
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

EnochLight

20 Jun 2017

v1.20b5 is working rock solid for me, but I haven't tried that.

kuhliloach

20 Jun 2017

VST's in Reason are not perfect, but I'm glad they're here after much consideration. There are too many instruments and effects made by brilliant people to ignore it. I've had similar problems to your Serum issue in the larger more complex VST's I've tried; now I'm mostly uninterested in incorporating VST's into my workflow. Compatibility, cost, stability, convenience all seem to be the price and I don't want to pay it. I was already overwhelmed with choices. Propellerheads is working to overwhelm me more (profit) rather than make some better sense out of what is already there (UI improvements). For many people the Factory Sound Bank and Browser, in general, might as well be a chest with a lock on it.

EnochLight

20 Jun 2017

kuhliloach wrote:
20 Jun 2017
Propellerheads is working to overwhelm me more (profit) rather than make some better sense out of what is already there (UI improvements).
While I don't deny that Propellerhead's goal is to make money (of course it is - they've been a "for profit" business since they began over 20 years ago!), I don't feel that they've stopped trying to improve what's already there. There have been incremental changes to the sequencer over time, workflow, and plethora of other things - it just takes time to implement when they have so many feature requests that people want on top of those things.

One could argue that they took massive strides in improving the UI when the released version 8 and made the "shell" (transport, etc) updated - allowing them to resize and change the graphics easily. I'm pretty sure they'll continue to move in that direction, even though they'll likely retain the skeumorphic rack/device paradigm. But, I digress. Looks like the OP's problem was fixed by updating Serum to the latest version.

Karim
Competition Winner

20 Jun 2017

Same problem here exactly with vers 1.20 as your. (Osx Yosemite here). I downgrade to the 1.09 as my mates suggested me. End of problems...

Inviato dal mio SM-G925F utilizzando Tapatalk

Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

Kalm

20 Jun 2017

I had a problem with Serum where the VST said "Please contact *insert steve dude's email*" . The audio would still play through and everything. I was even able to get to the load disk to save my patch before I closed it. Adding a new Serum instance didn't help. But once I rebooted my Mac, everything worked fine again.

Moral of the story . . . the same situation happened in Pro Tools but worst. Serum defaulted my patch or create a random unorthodox digital pattern full of static in the wavetable after crashing Pro Tools. Then PT wouldn't even start up. Safe to say Propellerhead didn't do a bad job with incorporating VSTs. This is the only issue I've had so far with them.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

EnochLight

20 Jun 2017

Karim wrote:
20 Jun 2017
Same problem here exactly with vers 1.20 as your. (Osx Yosemite here). I downgrade to the 1.09 as my mates suggested me. End of problems...
Which version of 1.20 did you try? The latest v1.20b5 (which would appear as 1.205, dated June 18, 2017) seems to work fine.

Karim
Competition Winner

22 Jun 2017

EnochLight wrote:
Karim wrote:
20 Jun 2017
Which version of 1.20 did you try? The latest v1.20b5 (which would appear as 1.205, dated June 18, 2017) seems to work fine.
I'm afraid to give another try.. I ever encountered lot of problem just with Serum (most crashes) so I'll just stick with 1.09 .

Inviato dal mio SM-G925F utilizzando Tapatalk

Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

• Information