Is there a place dedicated to just Reason's CV here?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Oquasec

16 Jun 2017

Like if you basically wanted to delve into the wired abyss, using modules for purposes you probably don't even use in actual songs and such.
There's a ton of undiscovered crap I'd like to wrap my head around since there was a purpose for Reason being built the way it was for such a long time.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

AttenuationHz

16 Jun 2017

Oquasec wrote:
16 Jun 2017
Like if you basically wanted to delve into the wired abyss, using modules for purposes you probably don't even use in actual songs and such.
There's a ton of undiscovered crap I'd like to wrap my head around since there was a purpose for Reason being built the way it was for such a long time.
Such as? What's not making sense?
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Oquasec

16 Jun 2017

Hm...examples can be:
Matrix, curve vs note or using both of those at the same time for stuff.
Spider gymnastics.[Can be anything unnecessary lol]
Difference between kong's gate out & in for stuff.

Anything I might have overlooked previously. Something not simple basically anything that you could easily overlook in this program.
Producer/Programmer.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

16 Jun 2017

There was a discussion about having a CV and Modular section I can't remember the outcome..

Thought it was a good idea...

Oquasec

16 Jun 2017

Yep, for example Having a thread with nothing but the theory of the wire in one subforum.
Producer/Programmer.

Jagwah

17 Jun 2017

This forum has so many sub categories already, it's almost too many. It works well as is though, everything can be rightfully placed in a sub category.

Things you are suggesting Quasec belong in the Tutorials and Techniques section.

AttenuationHz

17 Jun 2017

Oquasec wrote:
16 Jun 2017
Hm...examples can be:
Matrix, curve vs note or using both of those at the same time for stuff.
Spider gymnastics.[Can be anything unnecessary lol]
Difference between kong's gate out & in for stuff.

Anything I might have overlooked previously. Something not simple basically anything that you could easily overlook in this program.
Matrix curve is based on the same principle as any CV signal numbered 0-127 for 128 steps of resolution or 7 bits. The note lane is the same but on the matrix it has been spread across the piano roll so you can play it to the correct cv value. There is 5 octaves on the matrix 5x12 60+1 for 61 cv steps. You would use the note as notes and the curve for controlling a filter typically. You use the unipolar for controlling 0-127 and bipolar is centred at 64 anything below the centre has negative value above positive. You'd use bi-polar typically for a filter too but the centre is controlling the centre frequency set on the filter - values go down + up.

The cv spider is the same as the audio spider it can take 1 cable and duplicate it. With an inverse (inv) signal which can be duplicated 3 times. I would use the inversed cv as a way to push EQ gain down on the signal the level controls are for scaling the cv signal. Inversed/opposite if the cv was on bi-polar minus values become plus/ plus become minus.

A gate is basically a 1 and a 0, on/off, opened/closed, The gate out on a Kong or ReDrum just duplicates the gate in while triggering the pad. Good for layering kicks and what have you without needing to make a second matrix to trigger the pad.

This is just from what I've learned myself so anyone feel free to correct me.
Last edited by AttenuationHz on 17 Jun 2017, edited 3 times in total.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Gaja

17 Jun 2017

Well I'd recommend you watch these, if you haven't done so already:

IIRC it covers pretty much all you need to know about CV.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

AttenuationHz

17 Jun 2017

Jesus the sound quality in them videos is bad :(

Gaja

17 Jun 2017

Yeah streaming wasn't as seamless as it is today, back in 2011
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Biolumin3sc3nt

17 Jun 2017

Peffy still was, and still is "Killin it"!

Jagwah

17 Jun 2017

raccoonboy

17 Jun 2017

There should definitely be a CV sub-forum on here. 100%

The thing about CV is it's actually pretty easy.

I have modular gear which helps, for sure, but what really helped me was reading "Electronic Music Systems, Techniques, And Controls (Volume 2) By Allen Strange"

It will cost you about $500 second-hand, but you might be able to find a version online somewhere, pretty sure years ago I saw it on some education website although I'm not sure if it's there anymore.

It's huge and I only ever read the few chapters, but that was enough to keep me going for years.

I have a very inquisitive mind also, so I always try sticking cables in different places, to see what happens and I'll have an idea of some workflow thing I want to figure out so I'll spend ages wiring stuff up until it works. But definitely reading a little of that book will go a long way, it'll give you the confidence to know what you're doing so you won't need to rely on people's tips and just come up with your own stuff.

Oquasec

17 Jun 2017

I'm thinking of buying welsh's synthesizer cookbook & maybe some CV/Gate novels. Does subtractor let you turn off both oscillators and use just the noise osc?
Producer/Programmer.

selig
RE Developer

17 Jun 2017

Oquasec wrote:I'm thinking of buying welsh's synthesizer cookbook & maybe some CV/Gate novels. Does subtractor let you turn off both oscillators and use just the noise osc?
Yes, by keeping OSC 2 OFF and turning the MIX knob all the way to OSC 2 - then turn noise on and that's all you'll hear!
:)

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Oquasec

17 Jun 2017

selig wrote:
17 Jun 2017
Oquasec wrote:I'm thinking of buying welsh's synthesizer cookbook & maybe some CV/Gate novels. Does subtractor let you turn off both oscillators and use just the noise osc?
Yes, by keeping OSC 2 OFF and turning the MIX knob all the way to OSC 2 - then turn noise on and that's all you'll hear!

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
This is exactly what I'm on about. I actually overlooked something like that :? :thumbs_up:
Producer/Programmer.

dpcoffin

17 Jun 2017

Create it and I'll certainly bookmark it–and check it daily!
Gaja wrote:
17 Jun 2017
Well I'd recommend you watch these, if you haven't done so already:

IIRC it covers pretty much all you need to know about CV.
I've already watched these and read Peff's books…and it's clear to me that there's a TON more to know or to at least wonder about regarding CV and Reason, esp. now that the walls have come down so far.

Explanations of what CV all by itself actually is, and examples of how it's used in Reason are all over the place, sure, and the first part is pretty easy while the second is endless–fine so far as that goes. And a good use of a special section here or somewhere would be simply to collect all those resources; that’s probably already been done somewhere else; would love to know about that.

What's NOT in any such resources that I've found in the last month or so of looking quite hard, is detailed coverage about how to create, convert, access and input every other type of signal or message that can possibly be used as CV, inside Reason, coming into Reason, and going out of it.

Quite apart from Reason's new VST power, it's also apparently long been one of the most powerful and complex software devices in existence for manipulating CV signals, especially given all the RE's devoted to doing just that. But put those two facts together and you've got, I'd guess, a LOT of folks just like myself who have plenty of experience with other DAWS and plugins, and large collections of such products, but have never til now used Reason or needed to care about CV. But now, we're suddenly right in the thick of both of these new worlds. And we, or certainly I, want to know, right from the start:

How do other apps that use CV (Bitwig, Reaktor, Numerology, Max, just to name a few of the bigger ones) talk to Reason, and vice versa? Does Reason CV have to be converted to MIDI or audio to be sent out, and do external CV signals have to be converted to MIDI or audio to get back in? What are good tools and interesting workflows for doing so? In short, how exactly, and in what interesting ways, and with what limitations, does Reason's CV mojo completely change our game? Is it the One DAW to Rule Them All, or just a cool new tool that has implications beyond the obvious and typical?

Without that level of understanding, IMO, no explanation of Reason CV is actually useful to those like myself who already know plenty about wave shapes, LFOs, polarity, envelops, gates, pitch, mod matrices, etc. but have never until now needed to use CV, or even had access to it, to play with these things—which are all the typical CV tutorial or article tend to talk about—i.e., CV 101. Where's the "Advanced CV for Multi-App Users" tutorial, or Forum? Why not here?

Oquasec

17 Jun 2017

I've been using CV for really basic things for years. Emphasis on the really basic use-case scenario not wire gymnastics like routing 5 spiders to a crapton of rpg-8's routed to thors connected to subtractors ran through an audio splitter or something lol.

Really basic shit like hooking kongs to redrums and modulating stuff that has clear labels on them.
Producer/Programmer.

MannequinRaces

19 Jun 2017

Another vote for a dedicated CV forum! Do it! Please!

AttenuationHz

19 Jun 2017

I dunno fellas Reason is pretty much based on cv this is what is unique about it. Its ingrained into Reason and the forums have been doing well not having a CV dedicated forum. How about a sub-forum In tutorials and techniques for advanced tutorials? Or even tut request forum would probably suite it better.

sdst
Competition Winner

19 Jun 2017

cv Is what makes Reason different from others Daw, and the most fun thing in the software

That's why most users want the combinator 2

It would be good a site only for cv

Jagwah

19 Jun 2017

Have you guys seen how many sub forums there already are here?

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

19 Jun 2017

Jagwah wrote:
19 Jun 2017
Yes, there are 2 "Reason Feature Requests" and "Reason Song Files"

What is needed is for the top level to be reorganised.

"Allihoopa General" could be made a sub forum of "Reason Music"

"Website suggestions" could be made a sub forum of "Forum Rules and Announcements"

I would also put VST Plugins below "Rack Extensions"

New top level "Reaon CV & Midi", sub forums "Hardware CV & Midi" and "Reason Modular setups"

PoohBear
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recent Music
(Electronic) Into The Night - added 2nd May
(Upbeat) The Players Took Me There Made in Reason 9 with heavy use of the players
(Electronic) 5 Steps (Video added) Updated

My Soundcloud Page

Jagwah

19 Jun 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
19 Jun 2017
Jagwah wrote:
19 Jun 2017
Yes, there are 2 "Reason Feature Requests" and "Reason Song Files"

What is needed is for the top level to be reorganised.

"Allihoopa General" could be made a sub forum of "Reason Music"

"Website suggestions" could be made a sub forum of "Forum Rules and Announcements"

I would also put VST Plugins below "Rack Extensions"

New top level "Reaon CV & Midi", sub forums "Hardware CV & Midi" and "Reason Modular setups"

PoohBear
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recent Music
(Electronic) Into The Night - added 2nd May
(Upbeat) The Players Took Me There Made in Reason 9 with heavy use of the players
(Electronic) 5 Steps (Video added) Updated

My Soundcloud Page
I agree Alihoopa could be merged with Reason Music, but something like VSTs and REs definitely should not be merged - and I imagine there would be uproar if that happened. I just don't see why CV related things don't belong in the Tutorials and Techniques section, and I don't see why breaking the forum up into yet more sub / other / extra (not playing semantics) forums is something we shouldn't avoid.

selig
RE Developer

19 Jun 2017

Some good suggestions here! Can I ask a simple question that may help understand the requests for a sub forum for CV: What would having a sub-forum facilitate?

I ask because sometimes a proposed solution is not the best way to address the root issue, so IMO it's best to first clarify the root issue and then discuss possible solutions.
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information