Jump to next block

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Bewlay

11 Jun 2017

Hi there,

I use Reason in a live band situation and the file I use is over a hour long with backing tracks, synths, samplers etc. hooked up to an Oxygen49. (I'm still on Reason 6.5 on my laptop).
It has its advantages and disadvantages but I've got it to a point where everything works really well and I don't ever have to touch the laptop keyboard.

The one frustrating thing is how difficult it is to move around to different places in the sequencer.
I obviously use rewind and fast forward a lot but, if I'm searching for something or skipping songs, this can be cumbersome, especially on stage.

My question is, does anyone know of a way, say, for example, of jumping to the next block (I use empty blocks as markers), or jump to a specific sequencer position in one go?
It would be amazing to be able to press one key and instantly go to the next song. (Which could be 7 minutes down the sequence.)

It took me a while to find the name but the manual tells me it's the 'Song Position Pointer' :)
I'd love a more flexible way of moving it around. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Reason 10, Mac OS 10.9.5, Digital Performer 7
http://www.grousemusic.com/

artotaku

11 Jun 2017

Bewlay wrote:Hi there,

I use Reason in a live band situation and the file I use is over a hour long with backing tracks, synths, samplers etc. hooked up to an Oxygen49. (I'm still on Reason 6.5 on my laptop).
It has its advantages and disadvantages but I've got it to a point where everything works really well and I don't ever have to touch the laptop keyboard.

The one frustrating thing is how difficult it is to move around to different places in the sequencer.
I obviously use rewind and fast forward a lot but, if I'm searching for something or skipping songs, this can be cumbersome, especially on stage.

My question is, does anyone know of a way, say, for example, of jumping to the next block (I use empty blocks as markers), or jump to a specific sequencer position in one go?
It would be amazing to be able to press one key and instantly go to the next song. (Which could be 7 minutes down the sequence.)

It took me a while to find the name but the manual tells me it's the 'Song Position Pointer' :)
I'd love a more flexible way of moving it around. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Cleverly jumping around in the sequencer can be done with a remote codec and the Remote protocol.
Controllers by Nektar (e. g. Impact LX series) just do that out of the box,
see at the end of this video

If you want to do it on your own for a controller that does not have this feature, it requires a fair bit of programming remote codecs though.

Bewlay

12 Jun 2017

Thanks for that artotaku.
If I was back there again, that keyboard would appear to be a good option for Reason integration.

Thinking about it, I've come up with a half way decent work around.
I've set up a large loop (about the length of a short song).
Then using remote override, I can program 4 buttons on my controller.
One to jump to the left loop point, one to jump to the right and then 2 other buttons to move the loop point 'one loop length' left and right.
That way I can make large jumps about in the the sequence and use the rewind/ ff for the more refined movements.
I think it'll work for now.
Having a 'jump to next block' button would be better but for now this is cool.

Someday I will get into programming codecs! :shock:

centomila

12 Jun 2017

If you are looking for keyboard shortcuts, watch page 5
https://a.phcdn.se/Reason9/Manuals/Reas ... mmands.pdf

Those are some of the remotable items for the transport

Bar Position
Beat Position
Sixteenth Position

Tick Position 0 0 Delta Text Subticks 0 1 - Value
Clear Subticks 0 1 Trig Value
Loop On/Off 0 1 Toggle Value
Left Loop 0 2147483646 Value Value
Left Loop Bar 0 0 Delta Text
Left Loop Beat 0 0 Delta Text
Left Loop 16th 0 0 Delta Text
Left Loop Tick 0 0 Delta Text
Left Loop Subticks 0 1 - Value
Clear Left Loop Subticks 0 1 Trig Value
Right Loop 0 2147483646 Value Value
Right Loop Bar 0 0 Delta Text
Right Loop Beat 0 0 Delta Text
Right Loop 16th 0 0 Delta Text
Right Loop Tick 0 0 Delta Text
Right Loop Subticks 0 1 - Value Clear
Right Loop Subticks 0 1 Trig Value
Punched-In 0 1 -

Move Loop Left 0 1 Trig Value
Move Loop Right 0 1 Trig Value
Move Loop One bar Left 0 1 Trig Value
Move Loop One bar Right 0 1 Trig Value

selig
RE Developer

12 Jun 2017

Don't know if this would work for you, but the quickest way would be to select a bock, then hit the the P key to play it (sets loop points automatically). Two clicks to any block in the song, as long as you are OK using the mouse during your set.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

stratatonic

12 Jun 2017

selig wrote:Don't know if this would work for you, but the quickest way would be to select a bock, then hit the the P key to play it (sets loop points automatically). Two clicks to any block in the song, as long as you are OK using the mouse during your set.
Wouldn't need a mouse, since it's a laptop :), but yes to click the track pad to select the first block in the set.

After that, you just need to press the arrow button to select the next block, then hit P to start playing the next block. Still two clicks, but you don't have to try to find the next block area to select with the pad/mouse.

selig
RE Developer

12 Jun 2017

stratatonic wrote:
selig wrote:Don't know if this would work for you, but the quickest way would be to select a bock, then hit the the P key to play it (sets loop points automatically). Two clicks to any block in the song, as long as you are OK using the mouse during your set.
Wouldn't need a mouse, since it's a laptop :), but yes to click the track pad to select the first block in the set.

After that, you just need to press the arrow button to select the next block, then hit P to start playing the next block. Still two clicks, but you don't have to try to find the next block area to select with the pad/mouse.
I was going to clarify by "mouse" I meant "pointer" rather than using your controller buttons (since I haven't used a mouse for years myself), but I see you got the "point" anyway! ;)

Cool tip about the arrow keys - I didn't know this!
Selig Audio, LLC

Redster

12 Jun 2017

You could use Bome Midi Translator or similar to convert certain MIDI messages - say a few buttons on your controller - to arrow keys and P.

Set the song up and save with the first block selected and then away you go :D

stratatonic

12 Jun 2017

selig wrote:
stratatonic wrote:

I was going to clarify by "mouse" I meant "pointer" rather than using your controller buttons (since I haven't used a mouse for years myself), but I see you got the "point" anyway! ;)

Cool tip about the arrow keys - I didn't know this!
You know, if Propellerhead can code P to mean loop a section and play it, then markers are child's play! What's taking so long with a simple marker? :(

Bewlay

13 Jun 2017

I agree about the markers!
Although a penny dropped a while ago when I realised I could create an audio track as a 'marker' track with empty clips with labels/ names on them as the markers.
It's not quite the same but it really helps, particularly in a live situation.

As far as the other suggestions, the arrow and "P" is a great tip! I didn't know the arrows moved the selection to the next clip on that track.
My laptop keyboard is under my (raised) piano keyboard so I can't really access the laptop but I'm sure I can figure out a way to get those commands onto the controller.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Bewlay

14 Jun 2017

Just following up on this. I installed Bome Midi Translator and figured out how to program the controls but then found out I need 'Midi Yoke' (or something similar) as well to make it work at the same time as Reason.
This makes me a bit nervous with a gig coming up shortly.
Adding a new driver to work at the same time as Reason and everything going through a new new piece of software!
Probably better to wait till after this gig and check for stability then.

I'm really surprised that the 'play selected' "P" keystroke is not one of the remote overrides.
If anyone has an alternate solution, I'd love to hear it.
The loop jumping thing I described earlier is ok but it's not quite precise enough, I find.

Innerst

16 Jun 2017

Bewlay wrote:
I installed Bome Midi Translator and figured out how to program the controls but then found out I need 'Midi Yoke' (or something similar) as well to make it work at the same time as Reason.
This makes me a bit nervous with a gig coming up shortly.
Adding a new driver to work at the same time as Reason and everything going through a new new piece of software!
Bewlay, I had the same problem with Bome locking my controller making it unavailable in Reason. I solved this using Artotaku's thread below. This requires no extra programs running in the background.

In Bome:
Under 'Project Default MIDI Ports' select your controller as the MIDI input and the Bome Virtual port as MIDI output. Under MIDI Router make sure your controller is wired to the Bome Virtual Port 1.

For each MIDI translator select your controller under 'Incoming'.

In Reason:
Reason->Preferences->Control Surface-><your controller>->Edit: select the 'Bome MIDI Translator 1' port as input. This is to allow all MIDI messages going through your controller's host (Bome) to end up in Reason.

Select your controller as the output port.

Artotaku's thread which led me to the solution above:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7497069&p=286712&hi ... or#p286712

Bewlay

16 Jun 2017

Hi Innerst,

Thanks for that. Are you using the Pro version of Midi translator? I'm on the classic version.
I can't locate any 'virtual ports' which leads me to believe you may be using the paid version.
If not, could you tell me where to access 'Project Default MIDI Ports'?

Thanks!

montfrooij

25 Aug 2020

This is an old thread, but for the sake of 'discoverability' I will add a video of the 'scenes' mode with the Panorama series (Nektar)

• Information