I know there is a simple solution but I can't find it.

Discuss VST stuff here!
16BitBear

06 Jun 2017

OK, I finally upgraded to Reason 9.5. I have scanned my VST folder. The T-Racks ones are not working well especially since it loads those even not purchased, so I figured out how to disable those. I have opened a few in the rack, taken screenshots, and updated the photos on the browser. I played around with Serum (fantastic!), EZDrummer (my oh my!) and my various iZotope products (really digging VST's in Reason).

But there is one annoying problem that for the life of me I can't figure out how to stop. Every time I drop a VST into the Rack, it switches my browser view to My Documents even if there are no presets or whatever to load. Is it possible to turn this behavior off? Am I missing an easy tick box in the Options for this?

I really appreciate the assist on this. Thanks. :)

platzangst

06 Jun 2017

DJBuddhaBear wrote: But there is one annoying problem that for the life of me I can't figure out how to stop. Every time I drop a VST into the Rack, it switches my browser view to My Documents even if there are no presets or whatever to load. Is it possible to turn this behavior off? Am I missing an easy tick box in the Options for this?

There is a check-box in Preferences somewhere that enables/disables the browser in Reason automatically switching to, say, the patch bank for a device you load. Since many VSTs do things like create patch folders in My Documents, that's why the browser goes there. So you CAN turn that off, but that means it's off across the board - your browser will also no longer go to the folders related to your REs when you load one of those up.

16BitBear

06 Jun 2017

platzangst wrote:
DJBuddhaBear wrote: But there is one annoying problem that for the life of me I can't figure out how to stop. Every time I drop a VST into the Rack, it switches my browser view to My Documents even if there are no presets or whatever to load. Is it possible to turn this behavior off? Am I missing an easy tick box in the Options for this?

There is a check-box in Preferences somewhere that enables/disables the browser in Reason automatically switching to, say, the patch bank for a device you load. Since many VSTs do things like create patch folders in My Documents, that's why the browser goes there. So you CAN turn that off, but that means it's off across the board - your browser will also no longer go to the folders related to your REs when you load one of those up.
Oh, thank the gods, there it is. Yes, that is what I want. I normally have it off, but I guess when it updated, it defaulted to back on. Now when it comes to browsing, for example, using Battery 3, it defaults to 'unknown' and if I click on the browse, it takes me to Documents. But my library is stored on a secondary HD. When I open the plugin itself, no problem, it goes right to the kit library. How do you tell Reason to open to correct library and patch location for the various VST instruments and effects. It just seems to go to Documents by default which is ludicrous.

One other question about screenshots. I have a few VST's that are not saving getting screenshots in the instruments browser window even after they are showing up properly in the VST device itself. I am having this with Battery 3. In the device, yup, there is the nice screen capture. But it is not in the browser. How can I manually add one to there so it shows up?

Thanks. :)

Lov2sing

06 Jun 2017

I'm still trying to get Podfarm to work but the rest are fine. Anyone know the solution?
We make music for a reason

platzangst

07 Jun 2017

DJBuddhaBear wrote: One other question about screenshots. I have a few VST's that are not saving getting screenshots in the instruments browser window even after they are showing up properly in the VST device itself. I am having this with Battery 3. In the device, yup, there is the nice screen capture. But it is not in the browser. How can I manually add one to there so it shows up?
Sorry, can't help you with that one. In theory, if you could track down the location on your hard drive where Reason stores all these screenshots, and if you could suss out if there's any kind of standard format used (file type, dimensions, etc), and if you could figure out what, if any, naming conventions Reason might use to identify which screenshot goes to which VST, then you could pop a small, properly-prepared file in that spot.

In theory.

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

07 Jun 2017

Lov2sing wrote:I'm still trying to get Podfarm to work but the rest are fine. Anyone know the solution?
Have you got the 64bit version installed? might be a simple fix as that

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

07 Jun 2017

platzangst wrote:
DJBuddhaBear wrote: One other question about screenshots. I have a few VST's that are not saving getting screenshots in the instruments browser window even after they are showing up properly in the VST device itself. I am having this with Battery 3. In the device, yup, there is the nice screen capture. But it is not in the browser. How can I manually add one to there so it shows up?
Sorry, can't help you with that one. In theory, if you could track down the location on your hard drive where Reason stores all these screenshots, and if you could suss out if there's any kind of standard format used (file type, dimensions, etc), and if you could figure out what, if any, naming conventions Reason might use to identify which screenshot goes to which VST, then you could pop a small, properly-prepared file in that spot.

In theory.
In Windows the images are stored here

%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Propellerhead Software\Reason

PoohBear

Recent Music
(Electronic) Into The Night - added 2nd May
(Upbeat) The Players Took Me There Made in Reason 9 with heavy use of the players
(Electronic) 5 Steps (Video added) Updated

My Soundcloud Page

16BitBear

07 Jun 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
platzangst wrote:

In theory.

PoohBear

Recent Music
(Upbeat) The Players Took Me There Made in Reason 9 with heavy use of the players

My Soundcloud Page
Thank you for the location. I have now been able to update the images in both the browser and the VST rack extension accordingly.

Now I just need to figure out how to get the VST's to open custom library locations. I never store them in the default My Documents. I store them with my samples on an external drive so I can use it between my laptop and desktop. But every time I open a VST, it goes to the Documents folder and I have to manually browse to the library of patches or files on the external drive. It is a lot more steps than I would like to take each time.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

07 Jun 2017

DJBuddhaBear wrote:
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
platzangst wrote:

In theory.

PoohBear

Recent Music

My Soundcloud Page
Thank you for the location. I have now been able to update the images in both the browser and the VST rack extension accordingly.

Now I just need to figure out how to get the VST's to open custom library locations. I never store them in the default My Documents. I store them with my samples on an external drive so I can use it between my laptop and desktop. But every time I open a VST, it goes to the Documents folder and I have to manually browse to the library of patches or files on the external drive. It is a lot more steps than I would like to take each time.
For a quick dirty solution add a shortcut in your documents which takes you to the location on your external hard drive...
Or even add a MKLINK to your external HDD.

Lov2sing

07 Jun 2017

LABONERECORDINGS wrote:
Lov2sing wrote:I'm still trying to get Podfarm to work but the rest are fine. Anyone know the solution?
Have you got the 64bit version installed? might be a simple fix as that
I downloaded the last version but will check. Thanks.
We make music for a reason

16BitBear

08 Jun 2017

@Carly(Poohbear)

I thought about doing that, but I thought Reason could work with MLINKs and shortcuts? Or is that just with VST's themselves. I will give that a shot.

• Information