Kick 2 drum Synth

Discuss VST stuff here!
AttenuationHz

05 Jun 2017

Just trying out kick 2 from sonic academy. They are doing a 20% discount site wide I think. Just realised they have a reward system that gives you discounts on purchases also. How exactly does the reward system work? Does it work with new accounts or do you need to make a purchase first to activate reward discounts. 500 points for referrals.

Kick 2 is very impressive from the first use. Spent about 20 minutes demoing it and it's a plug-in that I would use as a go to for beats. It has a very intuitive amp section where you can easily manipulate ADSR and the tone or tuning of samples and layer different sounds to how you want them. Anyone use Kick 2 any thoughts on it? Is it worth buying?
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

AttenuationHz

05 Jun 2017

Hey if anyone has a £2.50 off voucher on SonicAcademy I'll give you my 2.50 off voucher number after I purchase. Just checked the prepaid balance short 1.80 to purchase. Won't get to top it up till next week.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

lowpryo

05 Jun 2017

Kick2 is my favorite tool to make drum samples with. not just for kick drums, either. you can import 3 separate samples in the "click" section, hi&lopass them, pitch them, change their amp envelopes, and glue them with compression and distortion all in the box. it just makes that workflow so easy.

I don't have any vouchers though sorry

AttenuationHz

05 Jun 2017

lowpryo wrote:Kick2 is my favorite tool to make drum samples with. not just for kick drums, either. you can import 3 separate samples in the "click" section, hi&lopass them, pitch them, change their amp envelopes, and glue them with compression and distortion all in the box. it just makes that workflow so easy.

Cool. Can you load different samples into it so it plays a hihat/clap or whatever only? Is there a way to offset the separate samples inside it. Have a kick and the 8th note hat going or is it sample dependant say if there is an 8th note space at the start of the hat.

lowpryo

06 Jun 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
lowpryo wrote:Kick2 is my favorite tool to make drum samples with. not just for kick drums, either. you can import 3 separate samples in the "click" section, hi&lopass them, pitch them, change their amp envelopes, and glue them with compression and distortion all in the box. it just makes that workflow so easy.

Cool. Can you load different samples into it so it plays a hihat/clap or whatever only? Is there a way to offset the separate samples inside it. Have a kick and the 8th note hat going or is it sample dependant say if there is an 8th note space at the start of the hat.
yes, you can load a hihat or clap or whatever you want into the 3 "click" slots on the side. I know there's an option to change the start time, but I believe you can only chop of the beginning of the sample. I don't think you can add silence before the sample. you could change the amplitude envelope so the start of the sample is silence, but that would cut off the transient.

AttenuationHz

06 Jun 2017

lowpryo wrote:
AttenuationHz wrote:

yes, you can load a hihat or clap or whatever you want into the 3 "click" slots on the side. I know there's an option to change the start time, but I believe you can only chop of the beginning of the sample. I don't think you can add silence before the sample. you could change the amplitude envelope so the start of the sample is silence, but that would cut off the transient.
Right some limitation with it! If you drop a sample to the kick waveform does the kick take on the characteristic of the sample tried to do it in the demo just brought up the authorization page. Kind of like how you drop samples to the convolution reverb in reason. Or is that not how it works?

lowpryo

06 Jun 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
lowpryo wrote:
AttenuationHz wrote:

Right some limitation with it! If you drop a sample to the kick waveform does the kick take on the characteristic of the sample tried to do it in the demo just brought up the authorization page. Kind of like how you drop samples to the convolution reverb in reason. Or is that not how it works?
I don't think that's how it works. the "click" sections are the only sections that allow sample import. the main blue kick waveform & section is just an oscillator.

AttenuationHz

06 Jun 2017

lowpryo wrote:
I don't think that's how it works. the "click" sections are the only sections that allow sample import. the main blue kick waveform & section is just an oscillator.
But it can open external samples on that on the main section right? Do you know where the factory preset folder is on disk?

lowpryo

06 Jun 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
lowpryo wrote:
But it can open external samples on that on the main section right? Do you know where the factory preset folder is on disk?
if you can use external samples in the main section, I didn't know it. I think it's just an oscillator where you can control the pitch, amplitude, and the harmonics on the bottom right.

AttenuationHz

08 Jun 2017

lowpryo wrote:
AttenuationHz wrote:
lowpryo wrote:
if you can use external samples in the main section, I didn't know it. I think it's just an oscillator where you can control the pitch, amplitude, and the harmonics on the bottom right.
Could have sworn I seen a YouTube video or something we're they drag and drop onto it might have been something entirely different! :shock:

I got Kick today but I can't save as. Also can't type in values in the UI. When I save as the dialog box comes up to save but when I select the box to save the pre-set it just won't let me type anything in. Is that happening for you? I'm on windows.

Edit: NVM enabling 'VST windows get keyboard focus' in options fixed it.

• Information