The abundance of plugins (VSTs) is making me less gear hungry.

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2017

First of all I'm not in any way against the decision of Propellerhead allowing VSTs in Reason. No one is forced to use VSTs just because the possibility is there.

I'm probably the only one who feels this way, but for some reason my reaction to all this is to become less gear hungry. I just feel overwhelmed by all the endless options out there now and my reaction is to just shut off from the whole thing completely.
It's just too much new stuff thown at me at once and it takes away the excitement and appreciation of a new product entering the Shop.
Also after trying out the super hyped synth Respire I pretty much relearned what I already knew, never trust other peoples opinions on music gear no matter how hyped it is. Music creation is such a personal thing and what works for other people might not work for me and vice versa.

I feel like spending time checking out the endless amount of VSTs would be such a waste of time. That time is probably better spent on making more music and really learn all the tools I have already (which are plenty). But maybe I'm wrong and the VST world is worth exploring.

The only thing I can see myself buying in the near future is Ozone 7 Advanced. I've been thinking about buying that before.
Other than that I feel pretty content with my REs already and they should be more than enough to make good music with for a long time.

God I feel like such a downer. Everybody is super excited about all the new stuff (and understandably so) and I just can't seem to get into it. I'll just go back to working with simplicity and limitations. That's how I like it, apparently.

Marc64

01 Jun 2017

Amen on that :)
I also feel it got "TOO MUCH", but then again I don't HAVE to use vst and yet I stil look for some nice one to add to my collection INSTEAD of doing music with the stuff I have and that is enough before vst's :)

Sure it's fun to look for some cool vst's but music has got in the shadow of that and I don't have the inspiration to do anything...

QVprod

01 Jun 2017

It all comes down to what you actually need. That goes for anything. Don't buy or download a new synth just because it's a new synth and your current synths fill your needs.

The reason there's a huge craze right now is because many here have never used a plugin before. That'll die down over time. Those that were already using VSTs in other DAWs are probably just using what they already had.

Zac

01 Jun 2017

I can understand but I only look at new gear when I'm not in a music making mood and take it very casually. The 1st thing I did was to use kvr and their excellent plugin section filtering only for vst and free which gives great results even though you have manually discard the 32 bit vsts.

Next I concentrated on what I was hoping to get as RE but couldn't afford yet... For me drum machines and certain EQs... I was very pleased with what I found... I no longer need any of the quadelectra drum machines or RE3eq :)

I'll take my time trying the free synths but Tyrrell and a few more I've kept. The dead duck effects bundle is great too. Won't be lusting after kilohertz toolbox any longer.

I think what I'm trying to say is put some 'blinkers' on and narrow your focus if overwhelmed. Dig your tunes man :)

Oquasec

01 Jun 2017

Midi device guy in the building. Despite having tons of rack extensions and vsts I'd prolly look into some good hardware to use alongside those.
(Not for novelty, as that costs some serious $$$)
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

01 Jun 2017

Zac wrote:I can understand but I only look at new gear when I'm not in a music making mood and take it very casually. The 1st thing I did was to use kvr and their excellent plugin section filtering only for vst and free which gives great results even though you have manually discard the 32 bit vsts.

Next I concentrated on what I was hoping to get as RE but couldn't afford yet... For me drum machines and certain EQs... I was very pleased with what I found... I no longer need any of the quadelectra drum machines or RE3eq :)

I'll take my time trying the free synths but Tyrrell and a few more I've kept. The dead duck effects bundle is great too. Won't be lusting after kilohertz toolbox any longer.

I think what I'm trying to say is put some 'blinkers' on and narrow your focus if overwhelmed. Dig your tunes man :)
Yeah maybe I should see this "anti-gear" phase as an opportunity to strictly focus on making more music. Not caring about more plugins would definitely mean less distractions. Then when I get bored of the stuff I'm using and I want something new I can always start looking for new toys. It's not like the plugins will go away.

aeox
Competition Winner

02 Jun 2017

i like turtles

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

02 Jun 2017

aeox wrote:i like turtles
Me too.

gak

02 Jun 2017

Exactly.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

02 Jun 2017

gak wrote:
Exactly.
Yeah yeah, I know. I get it.

Hopefully my One Synth EP Challenge thread makes up for this one in terms of usefulness.

I'm sure all of your 2639 posts are very important, everyone of them ;)

deepndark

02 Jun 2017

I miss using Reason & Record as it made me use what I had and not losing my overview of my tools. So I totally agree with you Tritone.
But, I'm done buying new tools for now and have to start making music with all these new toys.

pLv2

02 Jun 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:God I feel like such a downer. Everybody is super excited about all the new stuff (and understandably so) and I just can't seem to get into it. I'll just go back to working with simplicity and limitations. That's how I like it, apparently.
Did you even upgrade your Reason yet? I'm not really into the VST madness and I have too many great RE's. Somebody sent me a list of free VST's like I don't have anything to work with and I was thinking this VST craze is a bit silly. My next purchase will probably be a RE - that Legend you were ranting and raving about. I'm thinking about Ozone 7 Advanced too as you mentioned but I actually get an upgrade discount with my current Ozone 5 which has been collecting dust. I would also get an upgrade discount if I go for the iZotope production bundle which includes a whole lot more but eh my electronic four to the floor music doesn't really need those modules at this point.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

02 Jun 2017

pLv2 wrote:
TritoneAddiction wrote:God I feel like such a downer. Everybody is super excited about all the new stuff (and understandably so) and I just can't seem to get into it. I'll just go back to working with simplicity and limitations. That's how I like it, apparently.
Did you even upgrade your Reason yet? I'm not really into the VST madness and I have too many great RE's. Somebody sent me a list of free VST's like I don't have anything to work with and I was thinking this VST craze is a bit silly. My next purchase will probably be a RE - that Legend you were ranting and raving about. I'm thinking about Ozone 7 Advanced too as you mentioned but I actually get an upgrade discount with my current Ozone 5 which has been collecting dust. I would also get an upgrade discount if I go for the iZotope production bundle which includes a whole lot more but eh my electronic four to the floor music doesn't really need those modules at this point.
No I haven't upgraded yet :) and maybe that's for the best considering I just created this thread.
The only VST I sometimes use is Ozone 4. I use Reaper for that.
Before I upgrade or buy any more plugins I should probably invest in a new computer first.

Just make sure you try The Legend out before you buy it. I love it, but like I mentioned in my initial post, what works for one person might not work for another.

pLv2

02 Jun 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:Just make sure you try The Legend out before you buy it. I love it, but like I mentioned in my initial post, what works for one person might not work for another.
I did a couple song challenge entries with it and was very pleased with the sound. ;)

tldr
Last edited by pLv2 on 02 Jun 2017, edited 1 time in total.

siln

02 Jun 2017

Only plugins i would try when i upgrade would be dada lifes , the fact they are swedish they should make a deal with them , but then I ld have to try all the new synth re that came with 9 version , ozone yes but as a mastering tool I heard it works as well in standalone ,
but I welcome this decision for the fact that a lot a ppl already own a lot of vst so they can use in reason and the fact that a lot of ppl who didnt use reason just dismissed it on that fact that it doesnt support vst

gak

03 Jun 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
gak wrote:
Exactly.
Yeah yeah, I know. I get it.

Hopefully my One Synth EP Challenge thread makes up for this one in terms of usefulness.

I'm sure all of your 2639 posts are very important, everyone of them ;)
So, even you, of all the soul-less creatures I've encountered singled me out of a response to someone else? FFS.

gak

03 Jun 2017

Oh, and that is now 2641. So, do I get a prize? I mean plenty of others post here a LOT more than me. Not really sure you can say they are north or south of the iq mark I set. Guess it depends on your dose of chronic.

Right now I'm demoing plugin alliance's reverb. I have a 50 buck voucher and it's at 99 bucks.

VIVA LE PLUGINS!!!!

Last Alternative

03 Jun 2017

I'm more excited about the delay compensation than VST's.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

gak

04 Jun 2017

Agreeeeeeeeed. Big time. If they ever get away from the ID8 being there when drag/drop midi, It will be as if the reed (I said it) sea has parted.

The_Pianist

12 Jun 2018

I agree. VSTs are the future. With my Kawai VPC1(https://www.allpianos.com/digital) there's no need for new hardware. All the time they are releasing New VSTs outperforming traditional hardware.

Reasonable man

12 Jun 2018

What he says 3.26 seconds in ......Words to live by methinks

• Information