First time ever - using Reason since V1 - had to Force-Quit!

Discuss VST stuff here!
am0eba

30 May 2017

Subject says the important stuff: I've been using Reason in all of its forms since the first version, way back at the turn of the millennium... Today for the first time ever, running V9.5 with Voxengo's free SPAN plug-in (FFT Spectrum analyzer), everything locked up. I could start and stop the Reason transport using my AKAI keyboard controller, but absolutely nothing responded to the mouse... This is on a Mac (you probably could have guessed from the "force-quit" terminology) OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite running on a late 2012 Mac Mini 2.6GHz - yeah custom - Core i7 w/ 16GB RAM. For what it's worth, the plug-in was displaying fine, and the audio from Reason sounded fine -just couldn't control anything except the transport, and that externally via MIDI.

Interesting. I guess it should have been expected that VST-handling would be the chink in Reason's indestructible armor...

For what it's worth, I was able to restart Reason, and since I saved the project just before adding the analyzer plug-in, I was able to open that earlier version and continue...

_Dave_
:reason: :re: :refill: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :record: :rt:
"F" the ineffable! 
My music is available on iTunes, Amazon, Youtube, Spotify and CDBaby - more info:
http://2little2late.org/am0eba/

madmacman

30 May 2017

Interesting,

had the same issue during beta testing. Well - not quite. At least I could quit Reason the regular way. But everything else refused to work. Especially Popup menus. Since I couldn't track down this behavior to a certain VST (I didn't try SPAN), I didn't report.

Guess it has something to do with those infamous "focus stealing" issues when VST windows are open and catching input from keyboard or mouse.

I'm on a similar setup: MacBook Pro Mid 2012 / i7@2.3GHz / 16GB RAM, but I'm running Sierra 10.12.5

etyrnal

30 May 2017

am0eba wrote:Subject says the important stuff: I've been using Reason in all of its forms since the first version, way back at the turn of the millennium... Today for the first time ever, running V9.5 with Voxengo's free SPAN plug-in (FFT Spectrum analyzer), everything locked up. I could start and stop the Reason transport using my AKAI keyboard controller, but absolutely nothing responded to the mouse... This is on a Mac (you probably could have guessed from the "force-quit" terminology) OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite running on a late 2012 Mac Mini 2.6GHz - yeah custom - Core i7 w/ 16GB RAM. For what it's worth, the plug-in was displaying fine, and the audio from Reason sounded fine -just couldn't control anything except the transport, and that externally via MIDI.

Interesting. I guess it should have been expected that VST-handling would be the chink in Reason's indestructible armor...

For what it's worth, I was able to restart Reason, and since I saved the project just before adding the analyzer plug-in, I was able to open that earlier version and continue...

_Dave_
This is why I've always been against VST in reason. 3rd party developers just don't code as well as propellerhead. Not as stable. Not as efficient. Not as integrated. Bad news

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

SoulState

30 May 2017

am0eba wrote: Interesting. I guess it should have been expected that VST-handling would be the chink in Reason's indestructible armor...

_Dave_
Was going to start a similar post.

Been using Reason since V1 too. In the first 20mins of using Reason 9.5...it CRASHED, "HUNG" (spinning beach ball) and I had to force quit THREE TIMES!
Thats more issues in 20 minutes than I've had in a lifetime of using Reason. In fact, I can't remember Reason crashing - been that long.

But actually I'm not complaining. The POSITIVES far outweigh the VST negatives.

Not had as much Reason f-f-fun since :record: RECORD landed :puf_wink:
:reason:

MarkTarlton

30 May 2017

I have had 4 "forced quits" from the spinning rainbow since I installed 9.5.

It's so crazy seeing all those VST's in Reason :)

I am dreaming!!!

Oquasec

30 May 2017

I like how you can disable that module by
Unchecking all the folders.
Or rewire XD
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

sonicbyte

30 May 2017

That happens to me while try to create an automation lane with Kontakt and a 8dio library.

KevTav

30 May 2017

I can't run 2 VSTs inside Reason. CPU gets overloaded. Without VSTs my Reason works amazingly well. As soon as VSTs came in, I basically can't even use them.

And forget me even trying to use my Izotope Ozone mastering VSTs. I could crank the Buffer all the way and song will just basically skip every second.

If I move my mouse, Reason STOPS.

I need a new computer for Production anyways, but there are so many framerate/CPU stress issues I'm reading all over, that I don't know what the true issue is. All I know is that it's like not owning 9.5 at all since I can't even functionally use it.
Yamaha DGX-650 (Controller) - Komplete Audio Interface - Asus GR8 2 - Intel Core i7-7700 3.60 GHz - 16GB RAM - Audio Technica ATH M50x - Yamaha HS 80Ms - Reason 10 - Izotope - Cubase - Pro Tools - Ableton - Epiphones - Taylors - SH*TLOAD of Plug-Ins

Loque

30 May 2017

I had problems with not responding GUI too, but it was caused by stupid modal dialogs from the VST in the background. Modal dialogs are the users best friends...
Reason12, Win10

samp

30 May 2017

KevTav wrote:I can't run 2 VSTs inside Reason. CPU gets overloaded. Without VSTs my Reason works amazingly well. As soon as VSTs came in, I basically can't even use them.

And forget me even trying to use my Izotope Ozone mastering VSTs. I could crank the Buffer all the way and song will just basically skip every second.

If I move my mouse, Reason STOPS.

I need a new computer for Production anyways, but there are so many framerate/CPU stress issues I'm reading all over, that I don't know what the true issue is. All I know is that it's like not owning 9.5 at all since I can't even
functionally use it.
I get constant beachball spinning on,my mac when loading maschine as a vst. Sometimes it works but thats rare. Also notice my mouse stops working and the cursor disappears for a few seconds. It really makes me appreciate reason without vst's for now. Its might be my mac but when using the same vsts in other hosts i never had a problem..

MDTerps2015

30 May 2017

I went through and I had this going on. Most of my vst's are free. After going through and disabling the vst's the downloaded within a bundle (like plugin alliance), Im not getting it anymore. Maybe luck of the draw or It just hasn't happened. I tried each one (vst) that I bought or downloaded free and it never happened again. I don't know maybe a little more experimenting but it seems to have stopped. I also figured out (because i have never worked with vst's) that in settings you can change the setting for knobs to linear and the mouse pointer stays on screen. Im a newbie to vst's but Reason since 3.
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

nikolafeve

07 Jun 2017

I created a specific vst folder for reason, remove the default vst location in reason's préférence.
For reason i only use ultra stable plugins from very valuable developer like waves (waves are the most stable plugin imo), arturia, omnisphere, spire, serum, kontakt, that's all! And it's already a big big choice of great and stable plugins.
I and my partner had zero crash on our own station
There is soooo many vst with bad coding, specially the free ones or the products not from really professional developpers. It' s like that in vst world, don't try to get everything just be sure to have best ones
Reason 10 - UA Apollo Twin -  OSX 10.13.6 - MacBook Pro 15inch 2018 - 2.2Ghz Intel Core i7 - RAM 16GB 2400 Mhz DDR4 - Radeon Pro 555X 4096 MB

• Information