Opening a VST From the Sequencer

Discuss VST stuff here!
jetpilot00

29 May 2017

Ok. I should know this but I've been opening the VST's all day from the rack.

How do you get the VST window up to edit from the sequencer? I've looked, and clicked on everything obvious but I must be missing it.

Thanks ahead of time!

-JP
***If life is a song, I've just passed the guitar solo.***

theshoemaker

30 May 2017

As usual in Reason, you can open a device only from the Rack (F6). The manual also just states to open the VST from the rack in section "Opening the Plugin Window".
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

jetpilot00

30 May 2017

theshoemaker wrote:As usual in Reason, you can open a device only from the Rack (F6). The manual also just states to open the VST from the rack in section "Opening the Plugin Window".

Ok. Thanks!

I've got my first "Wish List" item for Reason 10. I work with the mixer and rack as breakouts and full screen. When I go to the rack and open the VST, and even pin it "open", it only stays "on top" of the rack screen.

This forces me to fold the rack and sequencer back to one screen if I want to edit parameters within the VST.

No big deal on a multi-display setup, which is what I usually use with Reason, but the monitors are packed up for a move and I'm on my laptop.

-JP

theshoemaker

30 May 2017

One Idea I have is ... If you are on a mac, you can customize your shortcuts per app. So when Open VST is a menu item, which I think it is you can create a keyboard shortcut. There has been a Reason Quick Tip about the shortcut topic:

:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

riemac

30 May 2017

jetpilot00 wrote:Ok. I should know this but I've been opening the VST's all day from the rack.

How do you get the VST window up to edit from the sequencer? I've looked, and clicked on everything obvious but I must be missing it.

Thanks ahead of time!

-JP
Yes, this is something I'm missing aswell. This is a real workflow killer.

Karim
Competition Winner

30 May 2017

I have add dozens of new shortcut.. Very useful

Inviato dal mio SM-G925F utilizzando Tapatalk
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

jetpilot00

30 May 2017

theshoemaker wrote:One Idea I have is ... If you are on a mac, you can customize your shortcuts per app. So when Open VST is a menu item, which I think it is you can create a keyboard shortcut. There has been a Reason Quick Tip about the shortcut topic:

I'm on a Windows 10 computer but I'll try to find, or create, a macro for this.

Thanks!

-JP

Creativemind

30 May 2017

So you can only see the VST in the rack? I just presumed it would float (once opened) in any window. I work on one monitor with all 3 windows detached. I like it that way. I wouldn't want to start attaching windows just to see the VST in the sequencer. I can't immediately think of a reason why I'd want a VST open in the sequencer off the top of my head but I'm sure one will crop up lol!

One thing I'll add is, Propellerhead may have implanted it this way as to not give VST an advantage over Rack Extensions as you can't see a stock device or Re from the sequencer unless you have 3 monitors or the windows attached can you.

So what displays on the sequencer track for that VST then when you've dragged or opened a VST in the rack? would love to see a screenshot of the sequencer track if someone cares to show. There's nothing on there you can click that will open it in the sequencer then?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

jetpilot00

30 May 2017

Creativemind wrote:So you can only see the VST in the rack? I just presumed it would float (once opened). I can't immediately think of a reason why I'd want a VST open in the sequencer off the top of my head but I'm sure one will crop up lol!

So what displays on the sequencer track for that VST then when you've dragged or opened a VST in the rack? would love to see a screenshot of the sequencer track if someone cares to show. There's nothing on there you can click that will open it in the sequencer then?
Here's the image.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (903.31 KiB) Viewed 1336 times
I need to be able to drag midi files into the sequencer lane from the VST. The VST "floats" on top of the sequencer only after I close the rack breakout. It's easy to do but the current method makes users like us that want full screen breakouts have to close the rack breakout temporarily on laptops. Not ideal but I can make it work.

Only a macro, or shortcut that you create, will open the VST from the sequencer. Maybe a surface controller will open it as well, via midi, but it's packed away as well.

-JP

• Information