Kontakt 5 player or Kontakt 5

Discuss VST stuff here!
OldSchoolSkunk

29 May 2017

Now the 9.5 is here... i've been hearing alot about this intrument in the past.. and heard some great things with it.. is anyone using the free player and is that a good way to ease into the full version Kontakt 5. Looking to try that out. To have some fun with something other than the NNXT :)

Thank you for any info.
Last edited by OldSchoolSkunk on 29 May 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Oquasec

29 May 2017

Used the exe with emi when I wanted it.
It's that one good NI plugin man :lol:
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

QVprod

29 May 2017

OldSchoolSkunk wrote:Now the 9.5 is here... i've been hearing alot about this intrument in the past.. and heard some great things with it.. is anyone using the free player and is that a good way to ease into the full version Kontakt 5. Looking to try that out. To have some fun with something other than the NNXT :)

Thank you for any info.
The player version is just for loading libraries that are compatible with it. A list of compatible libraries by NI and 3rd parties can be found here https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... -5-player/

The Full version is what gives you access to the actual sampler functions.

esselfortium

29 May 2017

Kontakt 5 is intimidatingly pricey and doesn't seem to be discounted very often, but there are some benefits to having it. There are a lot of great free-or-nearly-free instrument libraries that require the full version of it to run. To name a few, there's the Spitfire Labs instrument series ($3 each), Impact Soundworks' free Stroh Violin, various free libraries from Embertone, a free realistic solo trombone from Ivy Audio, all sorts of free drum kits...

You're probably best off starting with some Kontakt Player-compatible libraries that interest you. There are all sorts of incredible ones out there, and you're getting more instant gratification for a (usually) smaller initial investment than Kontakt itself.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

EnochLight

29 May 2017

Kontakt Player works fantastic in Reason. I bought Output's Exhale and Rev and used them for a time (ended up returning them for a refund because I wanted to spend my money on other stuff instead). They worked as expected, though I do find Kontakt Player's GUI/UX (and by extension Output's Exhale and Rev) way too small for my tastes.

Not sure if the full version of Kontakt allows GUI/UX resizing. Anyone?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

QVprod

29 May 2017

EnochLight wrote:Not sure if the full version of Kontakt allows GUI/UX resizing. Anyone?
If by that you mean the size of the library itself, no. The only difference between the player and full versions is the sampler functionality and the ability to use any Kontakt sounds (compatible with the player version or not)

ltbrunt00

29 May 2017

Before buying any VST make sure you verify if it requires the free player or full kontakt library. I personally don't care for the actual kontakt library sounds.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

EnochLight

29 May 2017

QVprod wrote:
EnochLight wrote:Not sure if the full version of Kontakt allows GUI/UX resizing. Anyone?
If by that you mean the size of the library itself, no.
Not the library size - the actual GUI/UX window of the instrument that's loaded. When I owned Output Exhale and Rev, I couldn't get it to resize to anything larger than a little over a 9U device. It's just too small to work with, IMHO. I don't own any other stuff to try out, though (I returned Exhale and Rev).
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

ljekio

29 May 2017

I doubt the Kontakt player allow assigned host-automation for controllers, to which it was not assigned by the author of the library.

QVprod

29 May 2017

EnochLight wrote:
QVprod wrote:
If by that you mean the size of the library itself, no.
Not the library size - the actual GUI/UX window of the instrument that's loaded. When I owned Output Exhale and Rev, I couldn't get it to resize to anything larger than a little over a 9U device. It's just too small to work with, IMHO. I don't own any other stuff to try out, though (I returned Exhale and Rev).
We're saying the same thing. By library I meant loaded instruments.

OldSchoolSkunk

29 May 2017

QVprod wrote:
OldSchoolSkunk wrote:Now the 9.5 is here... i've been hearing alot about this intrument in the past.. and heard some great things with it.. is anyone using the free player and is that a good way to ease into the full version Kontakt 5. Looking to try that out. To have some fun with something other than the NNXT :)

Thank you for any info.
The player version is just for loading libraries that are compatible with it. A list of compatible libraries by NI and 3rd parties can be found here https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... -5-player/

The Full version is what gives you access to the actual sampler functions.
Thanks for the info.. I've been giving it a whirl now in reason.. although that 15 min demo duration is kinda annoying.. but there's a way around that too ;)

QVprod

29 May 2017

Kombucha wrote:How are Kontakt sample library licences managed? If buying third party add ons is the registration all in one place at NI, or do buyers have to manage it all with the individual vendors?
Depends on the developer. There's a free drum library by Sennheiser called DrumMic'a!. I access that license through NI, and all Kontakt player libraries have to get serials through NI so maybe for those. The ones that aren't compatible with the player version don't have serials at all.

EnochLight

29 May 2017

Kombucha wrote:How are Kontakt sample library licences managed? If buying third party add ons is the registration all in one place at NI, or do buyers have to manage it all with the individual vendors?
When I bought Output's Exhale and Rev, I was emailed serials for them, but when I downloaded and installed the libraries, I was sent to my NI account to activate. Side note: when I returned them via Output for a refund, it was a dual effort between NI's tech support and an authorization letter from Output to facilitate the refund.

EnochLight

29 May 2017

QVprod wrote:We're saying the same thing. By library I meant loaded instruments.
D'oh! Gotcha, my bad. :)

• Information