Confused About VSTs Within Reason

Discuss VST stuff here!
KevTav

29 May 2017

I'm trying to download some free VSTs. From here: http://www.soft-amp.com/

Downloaded them and a DLL files show up. Try to open that and computer gives warning (trusted source blah blah) I "open" it anyways.

Doesn't "open". Assumed it is saved anyways.

How does this work? Nothing shows up in Reason. It recognizes my Izotope VSTs but nothing else.

I'm aware that I'm missing some huge info here, can anyone help?
Yamaha DGX-650 (Controller) - Komplete Audio Interface - Asus GR8 2 - Intel Core i7-7700 3.60 GHz - 16GB RAM - Audio Technica ATH M50x - Yamaha HS 80Ms - Reason 10 - Izotope - Cubase - Pro Tools - Ableton - Epiphones - Taylors - SH*TLOAD of Plug-Ins

Marc64

29 May 2017

Are you trying to open the dll files?

Kenni
Site Admin

29 May 2017

You don't open DLL's. You copy them to a directory where your other VST DLL's are stored.

Reason will scan that folder upon start and include whatever VST's it finds in that folder.

64 bit VST's are usually stored in:

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Vstplugins\
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

KevTav

29 May 2017

1) Will 32 Bit VSTs transfer the same with Reason 9.5?
Yamaha DGX-650 (Controller) - Komplete Audio Interface - Asus GR8 2 - Intel Core i7-7700 3.60 GHz - 16GB RAM - Audio Technica ATH M50x - Yamaha HS 80Ms - Reason 10 - Izotope - Cubase - Pro Tools - Ableton - Epiphones - Taylors - SH*TLOAD of Plug-Ins

EnochLight

29 May 2017

KevTav wrote:I'm trying to download some free VSTs. From here: http://www.soft-amp.com/

Downloaded them and a DLL files show up. Try to open that and computer gives warning (trusted source blah blah) I "open" it anyways.

How does this work? Nothing shows up in Reason. It recognizes my Izotope VSTs but nothing else.

All VST (or their respective *.dll files) should be installed in a directory where Reason can find them and scan them at startup. Various VST sometimes choose different default folders, but most let you choose where to install them. Have you pointed Reason to these folders in Reason's Preferences? If so, you need to restart Reason and let it scan them. Also, all VST must be 64-bit (unless you plan to try JBridge or the like)...
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

KevTav

29 May 2017

Kenni wrote:You don't open DLL's. You copy them to a directory where your other VST DLL's are stored.

Reason will scan that folder upon start and include whatever VST's it finds in that folder.

64 bit VST's are usually stored in:

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Vstplugins\
I was looking for them within Reason. Expected they would pop up in the "Effects" panel like my Izotope VSTs

Do I have to search for them in the Reason Search Panel...and dig them out or something?

KevTav

29 May 2017

EnochLight wrote:
KevTav wrote:I'm trying to download some free VSTs. From here: http://www.soft-amp.com/

All VST (or their respective *.dll files) should be installed in a directory where Reason can find them and scan them at startup. Various VST sometimes choose different default folders, but most let you choose where to install them. Have you pointed Reason to these folders in Reason's Preferences? If so, you need to restart Reason and let it scan them. Also, all VST must be 64-bit (unless you plan to try JBridge or the like)...
Okay, I gotta make sure the VSTs I'm grabbing are 64Bit...

KevTav

29 May 2017

1) Made sure I DL'd a 64Bit version

2) Looked under Steinberg>VST Plugins...nothing shows up

3) Restarted Reason nothing scanned, nothing recognized still

Stuck

KevTav

29 May 2017

Patting myself on the back. Figured it out.

Had to re-download the VST files. Specifically save it INSIDE the SteinBerg>VST folder.

Restarted Reason...POPS UP in Effects window now.

Thanks for help guys

frm5993

20 Feb 2019

i have this issue reason just wont recognize a bunch of vsts that i got off the internet.

diminished
Competition Winner

20 Feb 2019

frm5993 wrote:
20 Feb 2019
i have this issue reason just wont recognize a bunch of vsts that i got off the internet.
Once again:
- VST2 only
- 64bit only
- have to be located in the directory you specify in the preferences
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Wobbleburger

20 Feb 2019

Also, check the "Manage Plugins" window in Reason. It will usually show if a VST is disabled. You can often re-enable it
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.
Reasonite since 2000. My music (and my old midi) can be found here:
https://futurewizard.org

demt

20 Feb 2019

frm5993 wrote:
20 Feb 2019
sameish problem if youve got the time try using j bridge i really wish reason would find plugins the way reason said it would
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

adfielding

25 Feb 2019

demt wrote:
20 Feb 2019
frm5993 wrote:
20 Feb 2019
sameish problem if youve got the time try using j bridge i really wish reason would find plugins the way reason said it would
This is pretty much how every other bit of music software treats VST2s, though? You have a VST directory, you point your music software to it, and it grabs the VSTs from there. I feel like using jBridge specifically to locate VSTs on your computer is kind of like using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut, unless you've got 32-bit plug-ins you absolutely can't live without. Still - if it works for you then I guess that's what's important.

• Information