ReSpire, resized

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
theshoemaker

22 May 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:While they Are at it maybe they could have an env already routed to he filter like in the vst :p I now see what some of the RT community meant by comparing spire and expanse, both can create similar sounds but have different ways of getting there, just wondering how likely do you think it is for them to re size a little bit? It'd be huuuge
They are similiar, but I'd say eXpanse is more powerfull and easier to program.
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

EdGrip

22 May 2017

I think they're both pretty powerful in different ways. I like the LFO fade-in markers in Spire.
eXpanse wins the UI battle by a country mile, though.

chk071

22 May 2017

Frankly, that's the wrong approach, IMO. Reason's control elements are simply too small. And not the other way around. Take a look at other DAW's. And take a look at what VST's GUI's are like. We will see 4k displays everywhere soon. If you don't use scaling, Reason's GUI will be puny. Time for PH to do something, or they will oversleep the trend.
:reason: :rebirth:

scratchnsnifff

22 May 2017

theshoemaker wrote:
scratchnsnifff wrote:While they Are at it maybe they could have an env already routed to he filter like in the vst :p I now see what some of the RT community meant by comparing spire and expanse, both can create similar sounds but have different ways of getting there, just wondering how likely do you think it is for them to re size a little bit? It'd be huuuge
They are similiar, but I'd say eXpanse is more powerfull and easier to program.
Indeed, once spire is all finished I'm hoping that it will be as easy as expanse. the dude who did that image should really send it to reveal, if that hasn't already Happened, great work!
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

eXode

22 May 2017

chk071 wrote:Frankly, that's the wrong approach, IMO. Reason's control elements are simply too small. And not the other way around. Take a look at other DAW's. And take a look at what VST's GUI's are like. We will see 4k displays everywhere soon. If you don't use scaling, Reason's GUI will be puny. Time for PH to do something, or they will oversleep the trend.
The thing is that the current ReSpire GUI is too big in relation to the other devices. If, or when props decide to offer multiple scaling or some other solution for the rack then ReSpire will look ridiculously big and out of place. I think the proposed changes the OP made are very good, especially if you imagine it at 125% or even 150% of it's current size.

chk071

22 May 2017

eXode wrote:
chk071 wrote:Frankly, that's the wrong approach, IMO. Reason's control elements are simply too small. And not the other way around. Take a look at other DAW's. And take a look at what VST's GUI's are like. We will see 4k displays everywhere soon. If you don't use scaling, Reason's GUI will be puny. Time for PH to do something, or they will oversleep the trend.
The thing is that the current ReSpire GUI is too big in relation to the other devices. If, or when props decide to offer multiple scaling or some other solution for the rack then ReSpire will look ridiculously big and out of place. I think the proposed changes the OP made are very good, especially if you imagine it at 125% or even 150% of it's current size.
Ok, good point.
:reason: :rebirth:

jam-s

22 May 2017

Very nice design improvement.

@revealsound: please be inspired by this and make ReSpire even better.

decibel

23 May 2017

fieldframe wrote:
decibel wrote:the first version had the master volume knob strangely positioned on the back, now it seems missing all together ? perhaps it could be re positioned under the mod/pitch wheels
Perfect!

Also a good place to use one of the big knobs. :)

that will do the trick ;) nice one

svenh

23 May 2017

fieldframe wrote:
decibel wrote:the first version had the master volume knob strangely positioned on the back, now it seems missing all together ? perhaps it could be re positioned under the mod/pitch wheels
Perfect!

Also a good place to use one of the big knobs. :)
Very nice indeed, let me add another suggestion:

If "filter balance" is renamed to just "balance" ("filter" goes without saying since it belongs to the filter section), the keytrack rotary kan get the same size and beautiful look as the rest of the rotaries under the filter section.

zumBeispiel

23 May 2017

spirenew.jpg
Last edited by zumBeispiel on 23 May 2017, edited 2 times in total.

challism

23 May 2017

Nice alteration. I have posted a link to this thread in the beta testing forum. Hopefully, they will have a look and give the changes some consideration.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

EnochLight

23 May 2017

fieldframe wrote:There's a lot to like about Reveal Sound ReSpire, even in its early-access "Preview Edition." One thing that's not quite so great, though, is its interface. A lot of Spire's more advanced functionality has been swept into a tiny corner, where you have to select screens with a pop-up menu, sometimes navigating between screens just to edit a single feature, like the stepper.

Chalk it up to limitations of the RE format? Yes and no. The thing is, there's actually plenty of space in 9U if you use it wisely. And ReSpire spends a lot of its space on some huge honkin' knobs. Don't get me wrong, they're great looking knobs! But Reason's 9U limit only works if you use Reason-sized controls.

And so, I propose a solution to ReSpire's space problem: Fix the knobs. As an experiment, I did a bit of photo-editing on a screenshot to see how the the UI might work if all the knobs were 25% smaller, keeping the same size for all the labels. After some re-shuffling (and lots of fun with layers), I got back about 1U of space, which was enough to move a few other pieces and blow up the tiny display at the bottom to something much more substantial.

This new display makes two things possible: No more split pages (a stepper can be all on one page), and only one click to change screens, instead of having to rely on a pop-up menu. And in Reason 9.5, RE usability is more important than ever.

After:
SpireRE_FIXED.jpg
SpireRE_FIXED.jpg (203.65 KiB) Viewed 3027 times
Oh HELL YES - this looks fantastic and is a major improvement!!!

@Reveal Sound - PLEAAAAAAAAAAAAAASE consider this!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

stratatonic

23 May 2017

I really like the revised edition here. Great job! :thumbs_up:

Wonder what it would look like if the LFO1, LFO2 etc buttons were shifted to the left a bit, and then there'd be space for the FX Mutes from the back of the synth to slide in to the extra space. Maybe that would add confusion, I dunno, but the arrow from the LFO section would still point to the LFO buttons.

Massimo

23 May 2017

Ahhh, Yesss!!!

It would be nice (assuming that it is nice to comment on other people design...)...to bring back the dark tone from the VST.
Not sure about the long list of submenus name`s inside the EFX window...it looks nice with the yellowish tone...but the list is probably to long.
Maybe the way RS did it is fine...with a drop down menu...?!
Attachments
RESPIRO.jpg
RESPIRO.jpg (128.75 KiB) Viewed 2980 times

EdGrip

23 May 2017

I dunno why the Dark Theme isn't the default.

stp2015

23 May 2017

This is getting better and better!!!!!

One idea: How about moving the master volume knob to the right of the OSC4 volume?
Then, the space currently taken by the large volume knob could be for the 4 FX mute buttons that are currently on the back.

scratchnsnifff

23 May 2017

EdGrip wrote:I dunno why the Dark Theme isn't the default.
I almost wish they did what Solaris did with the whole device being a switchable panel so you could have dark or white themes, but that takes using the other sdk
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

reveal_sound
RE Developer

23 May 2017

Nice idea! But there is a limitation for RE plugins height and Spire has maximum allowed one.
Drop-down menus also will be implemented, but a bit later, after next release with GUI fixes. Also we think and try to add Master Volume in some user-friendly place, but there are some limitations which prevent us from implementing all ideas. For eaxmple, initial concept for back panel was as shown below:
Attachments
RE_Spire_back_04.png
RE_Spire_back_04.png (193.6 KiB) Viewed 2902 times

esselfortium

23 May 2017

reveal_sound wrote:Nice idea! But there is a limitation for RE plugins height and Spire has maximum allowed one.
Drop-down menus also will be implemented, but a bit later, after next release with GUI fixes. Also we think and try to add Master Volume in some user-friendly place, but there are some limitations which prevent us from implementing all ideas. For eaxmple, initial concept for back panel was as shown below:
fieldframe's design isn't any taller than the released version, actually :puf_smile: It's just rearranged to use slightly smaller knobs, to free up space for a larger display and other things.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

joeyluck

23 May 2017

Kombucha wrote:
Can back panel knobs be automated ?
Only when they are tied to knobs on the front like on ABL3.

Faastwalker

23 May 2017

That's awesome. I like the idea of better utilizing the rear space on RE's. It's only a TAB key away so certainly for certain functions it makes a lot of sense where there is often a huge amount of nothing on larger devices. Maybe one day ;)
Attachments
RE_Spire_back_04.png
RE_Spire_back_04.png (193.6 KiB) Viewed 2843 times

seqoi

23 Dec 2018

reveal_sound wrote:
23 May 2017
Nice idea! But there is a limitation for RE plugins height and Spire has maximum allowed one.
I like this and love your products. Good luck with gui tweaking and keep up to good work!!

joeyluck

23 Dec 2018

eXode wrote:
22 May 2017
I missed this comment before, but noticed after the thread was bumped...and I couldn't help but think of the comparison with VK-2...

They use the same rack space and in general, use about the same size of controls. Although VK-2's largest knobs are larger than Respire's and VK-2's pitch and mod wheels are very small in relation to its own knobs, which seems off when comparing to real world representations.

Or were you just speaking to in terms of if a scaling feature were introduced? And would VK-2 receive a downsize if scaling was possible?

respire-and-vk2.png
respire-and-vk2.png (886.14 KiB) Viewed 1414 times

miscend

24 Dec 2018

The stepper needs to be on one page instead of two like it is now.

• Information