There's an ad in the header!

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!

Do you mind the ad in the top of the forum?

Yes
19%
No
78%
I can accept it, if it's placed elsewhere
3%

Total votes: 72
eusti

18 May 2017

Well, I guess if it helps to cover the costs... :/

D.

Kenni
Site Admin

18 May 2017

And sorry for that! I know most (if not all) people hate ads. :)

The ad above the navigation bar is for test and measurements. I'm simply trying to see if it's possible to find an ad that interferes with your forum browsing as little as possible and if it can actually return some of the cost of running ReasonTalk. If the ad actually turns into profit, the leftovers will be added to a pool for prizes, much like the current Facebook give-away that we're doing.

I've added a poll though. To be honest, if you really hate it and can't live with the fact that there's an ad, I'll remove it. Simple as that :) If it doesn't bother you, please let me know!
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

eusti

18 May 2017

If you can recoup some of the hosting costs this way, go ahead! Not my favorite thing to look at, but if it helps... ;)

D.

Kenni
Site Admin

18 May 2017

eusti wrote:If you can recoup some of the hosting costs this way, go ahead! Not my favorite thing to look at, but if it helps... ;)

D.
Heh, that's what I don't know yet. What I do know is that adsense tune the ads to fit the concept of the site continuously and its users, so it'll be less of a pain as we go. How much of an income it'll be, I don't know yet.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

Kenni
Site Admin

18 May 2017

eusti wrote:Well, I guess if it helps to cover the costs... :/

D.
Sadly, with tapatalk there's not much we can do. Getting rid of ads requires a site owner subscription.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

eusti

18 May 2017

At least you have a shot at covering some of the costs... You can still discontinue it if you feel it's not worth it! :)

D.

SoulState

18 May 2017

Oh gawd do we have to?!

Where ever one goes on the net you're asked to buy something.
I kinda like coming round here, nobody trying to sell me anything. It's just people - who like myself - just want to talk about Reason etc.
ReasonTalk. An ad-free oasis...bliss :puf_smile:

...then there's always Adblocker I suppose. :cool:
Last edited by SoulState on 18 May 2017, edited 1 time in total.
:reason:

SoulState

18 May 2017

If ads mean keeping ReasonTalk afloat and heathy, then of course you've got do whatever it takes. But if it's at all avoidable...

One thing that would be cool, is a ReasonTalk donations ad in the header. It's too easy to miss the DONATIONS button, you have to scroll right to the bottom of the main page to see it.
Make it more PROMINENT. :thumbs_up:

FlowerSoldier

18 May 2017

Bwahahahah! Not for me.
I have an Ad Blocker.
Also, I agree with SoulState - the donation button is hard to find, even when you are looking for it.

selig
RE Developer

18 May 2017

Yea, that's the dilemma - do we run ad-free (and possibly run bi-annual fund raisers like public radio/TV here in the US), or run ads.

I would actually be interested in ads IF they were extremely targeted to my interests (and "on topic" for all Reason users), but as that's unlikely at present I'm leaning to staying ad-free and proposing some sort of fund-raiser based live-streaming events (which could actually turn out to be pretty damn cool if we could pull it off right).
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

FlowerSoldier

18 May 2017

selig wrote:Yea, that's the dilemma - do we run ad-free (and possibly run bi-annual fund raisers like public radio/TV here in the US), or run ads.

I would actually be interested in ads IF they were extremely targeted to my interests (and "on topic" for all Reason users), but as that's unlikely at present I'm leaning to staying ad-free and proposing some sort of fund-raiser based live-streaming events (which could actually turn out to be pretty damn cool if we could pull it off right).
I agree Selig. I think a fundraiser could be a lot of fun. And it would feel good to contribute and keep the site running.

Noise
Competition Winner

18 May 2017

Just disabled my adblock :)
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

SoulState

18 May 2017

selig wrote:Yea, that's the dilemma - do we run ad-free (and possibly run bi-annual fund raisers like public radio/TV here in the US), or run ads.

Yeah I'll vote for that!
We creative types are known for our altruistic and generous ways. :puf_bigsmile:

Kenni
Site Admin

18 May 2017

In all fairness, the site will keep running regardless of whether we do ads and fundraisers or not :)

I only tested this to see if we could recoup without asking people for money. Is also the reason why the donate button is hidden in the bottom of the site.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

SoulState

18 May 2017

Noise wrote:Just disabled my adblock :)
You are doomed my friend DOOMED :roll:

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

18 May 2017

Over the years I have been in a few gaming clans and we all chipped in to pay for the Clan Forum, Teamspeak and gaming servers.

However with the last clan I was with they did not ask anyone for payment however either on the front web page or side bar (can't quite remember) they had a simple bar that filled up showing how short for that month they were of donations, they never went short, people paid when they could, it won't hurt just to remind people that this is a self funded site, I think you will get more donations, It would not surprised me if some people think this site is run by PH.

Bunja

18 May 2017

Kenni wrote:And sorry for that! I know most (if not all) people hate ads. :)

The ad above the navigation bar is for test and measurements. I'm simply trying to see if it's possible to find an ad that interferes with your forum browsing as little as possible and if it can actually return some of the cost of running ReasonTalk. If the ad actually turns into profit, the leftovers will be added to a pool for prizes, much like the current Facebook give-away that we're doing.

I've added a poll though. To be honest, if you really hate it and can't live with the fact that there's an ad, I'll remove it. Simple as that :) If it doesn't bother you, please let me know!
Some of these ads are random though ; bulk up get muscly , russian beauty websites , not seen much musical lol

Noise
Competition Winner

18 May 2017

SoulState wrote:
Noise wrote:Just disabled my adblock :)
You are doomed my friend DOOMED :roll:
Lemme rephrase, I added *.reasontalk.com to the adblock white list!
Doom avoided!!

Sweet deals on those ads! Can't find any russian beauty websites tough, maybe i'm not checking those websites too often :P
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

SoulState

18 May 2017

Noise wrote:
Sweet deals on those ads! Can't find any russian beauty websites tough, maybe i'm not checking those websites too often :P
Ha haa you mad Reason fool. Searching those russian beauty sites. No good will come of it...trust me, I've tried :oops: :D
Last edited by SoulState on 18 May 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Kenni
Site Admin

18 May 2017

Haha! :)
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

motuscott

18 May 2017

Get that donate button up front.
Ads are OK if that's what it takes.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Jagwah

18 May 2017

Go for it Kenni, hope it helps!

EdGrip

18 May 2017

I don't use the Tapatalk app - just the mobile browser site. I'm getting big new ads too.

joeyluck

18 May 2017

Well there are ads on Tapatalk (separate thing, not ReasonTalk) and there is also this that Kenni is trying out and asking for opinions:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7501024

jfrichards

19 May 2017

Oh yeah, what could possibly go wrong with starting a little advertising?

Thank goodness they go away when you sign in.

• Information