God I love the Legend (Positive rant)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

16 May 2017

Ever since I first got this synth I'm reminded again and again how much I love it.

I just think it's the best sounding synth I've ever tried. Big, clean, beautiful, gritty, dirty, warm, squelchy. It does it all.
It's so simple yet so powerful. I love it's limitations. No extra fluff.
Playing around with the filter section together with the drive and feedback knob is the most satisfying thing ever. Don't tell me Thor can do that, because it can't.

Who cares if Legend is on sale or not. Just buy the damn thing whatever the price is. Synapse Audio probably won't put it up for sale because they know just how awesome it is. People will pay for it eventually anyway and they should.
To be honest I think it should be one of the most expensive REs in the Shop. Hell I'd pay the Tube Tech price for it if I lost it and it was the only way to get it back.

I'd recommend it to anyone with ears.

Massimo

16 May 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:Ever since I first got this synth I'm reminded again and again how much I love it.

I just think it's the best sounding synth I've ever tried. Big, clean, beautiful, gritty, dirty, warm, squelchy. It does it all.
It's so simple yet so powerful. I love it's limitations. No extra fluff.
Playing around with the filter section together with the drive and feedback knob is the most satisfying thing ever. Don't tell me Thor can do that, because it can't.

Who cares if Legend is on sale or not. Just buy the damn thing whatever the price is. Synapse Audio probably won't put it up for sale because they know just how awesome it is. People will pay for it eventually anyway and they should.
To be honest I think it should be one of the most expensive REs in the Shop. Hell I'd pay the Tube Tech price for it if I lost it and it was the only way to get it back.

I'd recommend it to anyone with ears.

Same here :thumbs_up:
I was waiting for a possible sale price...but after one week and no discount I just pulled the trigger and so happy I did it :puf_bigsmile:

To be honest I was not sure between The Legend and VK2...tried both and enjoyed alot....with Vk2 being more complex and probably more powerful.
I just choose Legend as it perfectly fits with my needs in terms of sounds and simplicity...and a bit lighter on my cpu :lightbulb:

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

16 May 2017

I got brought this back in March, still have not used it DOH!!!...

EdGrip

16 May 2017

I'm probably gonna get this or eXpanse for this year's synth...

GRIFTY

16 May 2017

get them both, they are both massive

raymondh

16 May 2017

I agree. It is a stunning synth, with a great fx section, and it really captures the Moog character.

miscend

16 May 2017

It is amazing

chk071

16 May 2017

I prefer Monark.
:reason: :rebirth:

ltbrunt00

17 May 2017

I have not trialed the legend, I'm afraid that it will be to amazing forcing me to purchase it.

I do like Monark use it all the time but if the legend is anything like Synapse Antidote then I am sold.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

miscend

17 May 2017

chk071 wrote:I prefer Monark.
You also don't like Dune 2 and Antidote. I think's it's cognitive bias against Synapse. Legend is by all non-subjective measures a class leading Moog clone.

chk071

17 May 2017

I actually A/B'd Monark and Legend quite extensively, when it came out, and especially compared the filter resonance, and envelope behavior. And, yeah, i don't like Dune 2 and Antidote too much, sound wise. Personal preference. No need for a psychology lesson.

Did you actually compare Monark and Legend?

miscend

17 May 2017

No I haven't. I don't have Monark. I'm waiting for the next Native Instruments sale I might get Komplete.

chk071

17 May 2017

miscend wrote:No I haven't. I don't have Monark.
Then i don't know why you accuse me of having a cognitive bias, when you didn't even build an opinion, or even have the chance to build an opinion, on the matter, yourself. Apart from that, i don't even know where you were coming from, because i surely didn't flame against Synapse Audio in these forums. All that i have said is, that i prefer Monark. Big deal for you?

aeox
Competition Winner

17 May 2017

just make some damn music :)

miscend

17 May 2017

chk071 wrote:
miscend wrote:No I haven't. I don't have Monark.
Then i don't know why you accuse me of having a cognitive bias, when you didn't even build an opinion, or even have the chance to build an opinion, on the matter, yourself. Apart from that, i don't even know where you were coming from, because i surely didn't flame against Synapse Audio in these forums. All that i have said is, that i prefer Monark. Big deal for you?
I have used Monark a lot at a friends studio but I don't own it myself.

It's because you openly dislike Synapse synths. And you said Legend sounds Synapse-ish which is impossible since after extensive testing and lots of shootouts by the community it has been established that it does sound uncannily like a Moog.

I'm convinced that if Legend came from a different company you would love it more :puf_bigsmile:. I'm not attacking you pal I was just saying.

chk071

18 May 2017

miscend wrote: It's because you openly dislike Synapse synths. And you said Legend sounds Synapse-ish which is impossible since after extensive testing and lots of shootouts by the community it has been established that it does sound uncannily like a Moog.
Erm... a developer usually doesn't create a synth from scratch. Of course also Legend builds up on technology Synapse used in their other synths. Ask Richard if you want to. He frequents these forums.

Maybe also do a comparison between Legend, Monark, and the Diva Minimoog module. If you don't actually sit on your ears, you will find that they all sound different to each other. So much for the "sounds uncannily like a Minimoog". It's rather different interpretations based on the sound engines of the different developers. And of course they're all pretty close. Yet they DO sound different to each other. And especially Legend lacks a bit in the "snappy" department, like the other Synapse synths, IMO. There's something about the envelopes, or the filter resonance, which just fails to get them to be as snappy as a few other soft synths, or, many analog synths. Sorry to say that, if that's something which is offensive in any way already. You said that i "openly dislike Synapse". If that's offensive for you, then i don't know what one can discuss in forums. I absolutely don't have anything against Synapse, or Richard in particular, actually, i quite like what they're doing. It's just that i don't quite get the hype, especially, as the synths aren't really that hyped outside of a few internet forums. And i'm sure, if Dune 3 comes out, which is supposed to be soon-ish, then it will be an improvement to what they did before again. And, maybe, one day, they will also get the snappiness right.

Rason

05 Jan 2020

Sorry for opening an old post. I also like the Legend. Does anybody know if the revison model switch has been added with some update or it was there since the very beginning? It is not listed in the patch notes but I dont recall it being on 1.0.0... . Thanks.

Jmax

05 Jan 2020

Have to agree, it's sound is HUGE and sublime.

Also one of the best looking GUI's.

selig
RE Developer

05 Jan 2020

I also prefer Legend over Monark etc. and I'm a former Mini Moog owner of many years (my friend/collab has it now in a trade and because he knows how to repair them - I never want it to get TOO far from home!).
I'm not saying it's the best Mini emulation, couldn't care less about that angle since if I need the real thing I know where to find it.
It's just personal taste, nothing more nothing less. No use arguing over it here, it's like arguing over your favorite color IMO. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

Rason

05 Jan 2020

Hello, does anybody know if the revison model switch has been added with some update or it was there since the very beginning?

VIVIsect

05 Jan 2020

The Legend is quickly becoming my go-to for bass. It's grungy Reese Bass heaven.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 Jan 2020

Weeeeell...I’ve got all the Synapse REs except Legend. When all the happy folk got the whole collection for $49 I was happy for them too but couldn’t bring myself to pay $49 for just one of the REs having payed full whack for most of the other ones. So I went back to VK-2 and now I’m probably as happy as the folk who got the bundle bargain.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

michael.jaye

05 Jan 2020

Massimo wrote:
16 May 2017
To be honest I was not sure between The Legend and VK2...tried both and enjoyed alot....with Vk2 being more complex and probably more powerful.
I just choose Legend as it perfectly fits with my needs in terms of sounds and simplicity...and a bit lighter on my cpu :lightbulb:
I use Legend the most for bass, but VK2 is great for a different sounding bass machine. So glad I have both.

scratchnsnifff

05 Jan 2020

Positive rants are against the internet laws
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

eXode

06 Jan 2020

chk071 wrote:
18 May 2017
Maybe also do a comparison between Legend, Monark, and the Diva Minimoog module. If you don't actually sit on your ears, you will find that they all sound different to each other. So much for the "sounds uncannily like a Minimoog". It's rather different interpretations based on the sound engines of the different developers. And of course they're all pretty close. Yet they DO sound different to each other.
With analog in general, and the Minimoog model d in particular, there can be a big difference between specimens. I know of artists who kept two different units of the model d because they couldn't decide between them, both having their own character.

My point is that Native Instruments, u-he or Synapse Audio (likely) didn't emulate the same specimen which might also be a reason for them sounding different from each other. :)

• Information