Vengeance Sound's VPS Avenger is simply *THE BEST* VST synth on the market for EDM, IMHO

Discuss VST stuff here!
EnochLight

07 May 2017

Anyone new to VST that are contemplating picking up a new synth should absolutely consider Vengeance Sound's VPS Avenger. A recent review by ask.audio sums things up nicely:
It’s almost like someone decided to create a Combinator, external from Reason, with a totally different audio engine, sound design team, and graphics. However, that descriptions still seriously limits what Avenger is.
https://ask.audio/articles/review-vps-v ... nger-synth

It goes on sale on occasion (I picked it up over the April "Easter Sale" for 30% off, so you might want to see if you can grab it on sale at some point - but even at full price it's worth it, IMHO). Simply nothing else out there like it, and it's a joy to use in Reason! ;)

http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/tech/ ... ger-645346
Last edited by EnochLight on 28 Oct 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

tronam

07 May 2017

I think this depends on the user's sonic leanings. For me Omnisphere takes the crown, but I lean more toward scoring than dance music. Vengeance makes powerful, comprehensive instruments and effects though, no question.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

AzureEyes

07 May 2017

EnochLight wrote:Anyone new to VST that are contemplating picking up a new synth should absolutely consider Vengeance Sound's VPS Avenger. A recent review by ask.audio sums things up nicely:
It’s almost like someone decided to create a Combinator, external from Reason, with a totally different audio engine, sound design team, and graphics. However, that descriptions still seriously limits what Avenger is.

It goes on sale on occasion (I picked it up over the April "Easter Sale" for 30% off, so you might want to see if you can grab it on sale at some point - but even at full price it's worth it, IMHO). Simply nothing else out there like it, and it's a joy to use in Reason! ;)

Strongly disagree. Good synth and I know because I worked on it for 3 months straight. It's featured pack and has some amazing thing but the sound is totally lifeless compared to Serum, Omnisphere 2, Icarus, eta. It's good if your making EDM stuff and dance centric sounds but it doesn't beat the quality of Serum nor Omnisphere 2 at all. Sure you can have complex arpeggios and sequences due to the modular architecture but people don't care about that stuff when making music. The want sounds they can compose with. I've used Avenger in track and that was for the drum machine built into it. It's not the best VST synth on the planet. Maybe in terms of features but Serum and Omnisphere 2 blow this thing away!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Miss Controllerism

07 May 2017

trust me .....UVI falcon , Absynth 5 and omnipshere 2 are way better than this

Karim
Competition Winner

07 May 2017

EnochLight wrote:Anyone new to VST that are contemplating picking up a new synth should absolutely consider Vengeance Sound's VPS Avenger. A recent review by ask.audio sums things up nicely:

Oh My ... I wad investigate about this. I WANNA It right now!

Inviato dal mio SM-G925F utilizzando Tapatalk
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

EnochLight

07 May 2017

tronam wrote:I think this depends on the user's sonic leanings. For me Omnisphere takes the crown, but I lean more toward scoring than dance music. Vengeance makes powerful, comprehensive instruments and effects though, no question.
Fair enough - and I agree. So let me revise my original statement: VPS Avenger is probably the best synth around for EDM and dance. Just a jack of all trades, and easily shares the crown with Serum, etc. In fact, it makes Serum's laughably small GUI/UX almost painful to work with on large monitors.

Omnisphere is pretty sweet for scoring and atmospheric stuff, though. I just wish it wasn't so ridiculously... almost laughably.. priced.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

AzureEyes

07 May 2017

EnochLight wrote:
tronam wrote:I think this depends on the user's sonic leanings. For me Omnisphere takes the crown, but I lean more toward scoring than dance music. Vengeance makes powerful, comprehensive instruments and effects though, no question.
Fair enough - and I agree. So let me revise my original statement: VPS Avenger is probably the best synth around for EDM and dance. Just a jack of all trades, and easily shares the crown with Serum, etc. In fact, it makes Serum's laughably small GUI/UX almost painful to work with on large monitors.

Omnisphere is pretty sweet for scoring and atmospheric stuff, though.
Omnisphere 2 has added some cool wavetable stuff too. Which is pretty good for some EDM stuff! I really like it for Pads and Keys though. Also nothing beats Serum's ease of use. You throw someone in front of Avenger. They're going to be very confused. You throw someone in front of Serum without using the wavetable editor they're going to know how they can get started!

EnochLight

07 May 2017

AzureEyes wrote:Omnisphere 2 has added some cool wavetable stuff too. Which is pretty good for some EDM stuff! I really like it for Pads and Keys though. Also nothing beats Serum's ease of use. You throw someone in front of Avenger. They're going to be very confused. You throw someone in front of Serum without using the wavetable editor they're going to know how they can get started!
Strongly disagree. I've had Serum for about a year, and just picked up Avenger last month. It was no more difficult to get around than Serum, and far easier to look at full screen (which sadly isn't even an option on Serum).

This boils down to personal preference, me thinks - and you clearly have a preference towards Serum. No shame in that, but the features and power of Avenger do pretty much leave Serum in the dust, sorry to say. :lol: Don't get me wrong - I do love Serum as well, and will continue to use it. Steve's a stand-up guy.

AzureEyes

07 May 2017

EnochLight wrote:
AzureEyes wrote:Omnisphere 2 has added some cool wavetable stuff too. Which is pretty good for some EDM stuff! I really like it for Pads and Keys though. Also nothing beats Serum's ease of use. You throw someone in front of Avenger. They're going to be very confused. You throw someone in front of Serum without using the wavetable editor they're going to know how they can get started!
Strongly disagree. I've had Serum for about a year, and just picked up Avenger last month. It was no more difficult to get around than Serum, and far easier to look at full screen (which sadly isn't even an option on Serum).

This boils down to personal preference, me thinks - and you clearly have a preference towards Serum. No shame in that, but the features and power of Avenger do pretty much leave Serum in the dust, sorry to say. :lol: Don't get me wrong - I do love Serum as well, and will continue to use it. Steve's a stand-up guy.
I've had Serum since it came out and it is the most fun I have with a soft synth. I mean the modular architecture of Avenger is what I'm mainly talking about. Either of them are fun and will be a blast for producers who use Reason!

Oquasec

07 May 2017

Everybody finds their own way.
Omnisphere and sylenth will be in use more often when they add the 16th method on the 29th.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

EnochLight

07 May 2017

If Omnisphere 2 ever goes on sale for like 50% (or more) off, I might consider picking it up. It sounds amazing for atmospheric and score - totally up my alley! VPS Avenger was the most I've ever spent on a soft synth, and I just can't bring myself to pay the cost of a DAW for Omnisphere 2 at the moment.

Any of you Omnisphere 2 owners score a copy on the cheap somehow? Curious as to whether or not they put it on sale often...

submonsterz

07 May 2017

EnochLight wrote:

You might find a quite big CPU drop in comparison of the two as well that's another plus for vps I agree it's in it's own way far better than the other two mentioned for features etc .

submonsterz

07 May 2017

submonsterz wrote:
EnochLight wrote:

You might find a quite big CPU drop in comparison of the two as well that's another plus for vps I agree it's in it's own way far better than the other two mentioned for features etc .
Ohhh and a quick add hearing people talk about serum wave tables blah blah you can import those into vps too if you so wish simples ....

EnochLight

07 May 2017

submonsterz wrote:You might find a quite big CPU drop in comparison of the two as well that's another plus for vps I agree it's in it's own way far better than the other two mentioned for features etc .
Indeed - with stock setting, VPS Avenger uses substantially less CPU than Serum - even with effects on. That said, go into Sys -> Settings -> FPS Mode and change it to "High", and it levels the performance between the two slightly. I tend to stay in "Eco" mode though, as the visual difference isn't worth the trade-off IMHO.

Massimo

08 May 2017

For sure it sounds like a no brain decision for that type of music...and feature wise, considering the cost, it is quite "the final option", VA synth, wavetable, multisample waves, drum machine...filters...effects...modulations...etc, all packed in one single box.
And this monster comes for sure with one of the best library for today sound...but...how about using it within Reason environment? I mean...this thing looks like another Reason itself...I would probably end up using only this for sounds...and Reason as a sequencer...?! ...which would make the entire idea of using Reason a bit useless...
I made the same consideration while I was thinking about Dune2...a more advanced version of Antidote...but excluding the additional features...what can one possibly not do with many instances of Antidote (plus Parsec...Expanse...FM synths and some samples from NNXT) in one combinator and all Reason`s RE effects...?!
Maybe I am still stack with the idea that I just need to complete my rack with only additional modules that bring something I do not have at the moment...but again...as single modules...like one would do with Reaktor...

Coming from a traditional hardware type user, I always used to stuck and combine sounds from different machines...they simply sounds better and diverse...and the same apply within Reason combinator...rather than having one single engine producing all sounds...but this is just me (-;

How about VPS in Reason?anyone who already have it...any suggestions...impressions?
:puf_bigsmile:

Marco Raaphorst

08 May 2017

Nah, this one is the funkiest softsynthi evah:
symptohm_ss_funky1.png
symptohm_ss_funky1.png (612.55 KiB) Viewed 15340 times
Been using it for so many years now. It's a classic, although nobody knows it :D

EnochLight

08 May 2017

Massimo wrote: How about VPS in Reason?anyone who already have it...any suggestions...impressions?
:puf_bigsmile:
I have it (see my OP for thoughts on it). But it'll never happen as an RE. Since 9.5 supports VST, Vengeance Sound has absolutely no reason to port it. :puf_wink: :puf_bigsmile: :lol:

Massimo

08 May 2017

:lol: Agreed...and I was far from asking it as a native RE...quite unnecessary.
How does the VA part compare to a synth like Spire?...and the multi sample part(thinking about a diverse type of sounds from EDM/electro)...is it complete to say I could use it instead of an NNXT?
Trying to download the demo but it fails all the time... :roll:

EnochLight

08 May 2017

Massimo wrote::lol: Agreed...and I was far from asking it as a native RE...quite unnecessary.
How does the VA part compare to a synth like Spire?...and the multi sample part(thinking about a diverse type of sounds from EDM/electro)...is it complete to say I counld use it instad of an NNXT?
Trying to download the demo but it fails all the time... :roll:
NNXT and Avenger are completely different instruments. NNXT is just a sampler (albeit a 15-year old sampler that's a damn good one, even if it's a little dated). Avenger is not a sampler at heart (although you can import your own multi samples, drums, wavetables or OSC waveforms). Avenger is like... it's like Serum and Spire had a bastard love child and then adopted Redrum because they felt like they needed more kids. It has a ton more filters, oscillators, effects, and modular capabilities that run circles around NNXT.

Keep trying to get the demo. Make sure you download the entire 4+ GB R2 soundbank though, because you can demo the whole thing.

Massimo

08 May 2017

Yeah..only a close demo can give me the answer.
On paper it looks like alot of flexibility...and of course no mean to compare with an NNXT...I just want to see if "sample loading wise" this beast can just load a waveform and then process with filters and effects...or can add all the complete set of tools to manipulate the original waveform...(and of course, being the NNXT quite dated, I would expect more in that regards).
In that compartment I feel like Omnisphere (which is still not a proper sample machine) is more suitable...and I just do not need only a "techno machine"...more interested in a cinematic type of sounds.

Hope not confusing...it is a very interesting vst indeed...but as I can see now it is clearly geared towards a specific genre of sound.

EnochLight

09 May 2017

Massimo wrote:..and I just do not need only a "techno machine"...more interested in a cinematic type of sounds..
I don't think VPS Avenger will fill this roll as well as something like Omnisphere (which is awash in cinematic and atmospheric choices).

Massimo

16 May 2017

EnochLight wrote:
Massimo wrote:..and I just do not need only a "techno machine"...more interested in a cinematic type of sounds..
I don't think VPS Avenger will fill this roll as well as something like Omnisphere (which is awash in cinematic and atmospheric choices).
I finally managed to download VPS demo and play with it...and yes...it is quite EDM oriented...but...this thing is a REAL MONSTER!!! :thumbs_up:

keyguy13

16 May 2017

I agree. For EDM and dance music, though, that synth is amazing and versatile as hell.

aeox
Competition Winner

16 May 2017

the only thing stopping me from trying it out is the 5 GB "content file" my internet is too slow for that :P would take all day.

EnochLight

16 May 2017

aeox wrote:the only thing stopping me from trying it out is the 5 GB "content file" my internet is too slow for that :P would take all day.
It'll be worth it, and the 5 GB content file is exactly the same library that comes with a full license. Just start downloading one night before you go to sleep and let it take it's time downloading. :thumbs_up: :puf_smile:

• Information