Reasonistas SideChain ReAction Enveloper

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Reasonistas
RE Developer

07 Apr 2017

Just uploaded a quick #SCReTip video to quickly show how you can trim two drums loops to use the kick and snare from one and the hi-hats from the other. And of course at the end we slap on an SCRE to a synth track with the "Ducker" patch for instant ducking.

Last edited by Reasonistas on 07 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

frog974new

07 Apr 2017

i see you launch a contest patch for the next incoming update for this Re .
it'll be nice to re-orginaze the FSB .

1) Patch that use only stock device
one main folder for FX device
- signature patch folders
- an other folder for all other preset
one main folder for all combintor instrument device

2) Patch that require other RE

Despondo
Competition Winner

07 Apr 2017

Noel G. wrote:Just uploaded a quick #SCReTips video to quickly show how you can trim two drums loops to use the kick and snare from one and the hi-hats from the other. And of course at the end we slap on an SCRE to a synth track with the "Ducker" patch for instant ducking.

Thanks for the new video. Much clearer on what the strengths of this device is. :-)

Reasonistas
RE Developer

07 Apr 2017

frog974new wrote:i see you launch a contest patch for the next incoming update for this Re .
it'll be nice to re-orginaze the FSB .

1) Patch that use only stock device
one main folder for FX device
- an other folder for all other preset
one main folder for all combintor instrument device

2) Patch that require other RE
Thanks for the suggestion. We will review and consider this.
ImageImageImage

LUST3R

08 Apr 2017

Do you think you will make a full on tutorial video for SideChain ReAction for people completely new to this kind of FX of what every button and dial does?
Like Speo did when he released FrameCV on YouTube, it would be great to hear someone do a in depth walkthrough of SideChain ReAction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This Is LUST3R!
(Dubstep/EDM/Alternative - Music Producer, Reason User :reason:, DJ & Instrumentalist)
Check out my Soundcloud and FOLLOW ME!
https://soundcloud.com/lust3rofficial

geronimo

08 Apr 2017

User's manual well designed in the beginning, for descriptions of commands with numbers: the interface is present at each page to avoid a backward to see what is described. A good educational effort. :thumbs_up:

Reasonistas
RE Developer

08 Apr 2017

LUST3R wrote:Do you think you will make a full on tutorial video for SideChain ReAction for people completely new to this kind of FX of what every button and dial does? Like Speo did when he released FrameCV on YouTube, it would be great to hear someone do a in depth walkthrough of SideChain ReAction
Yes, this is a work in progress.
ImageImageImage

Reasonistas
RE Developer

08 Apr 2017

geronimo wrote:User's manual well designed in the beginning, for descriptions of commands with numbers: the interface is present at each page to avoid a backward to see what is described. A good educational effort. :thumbs_up:
Thank you. Let us know if there if anything is unclear in the manual.
ImageImageImage

LUST3R

08 Apr 2017

Noel G. wrote:
LUST3R wrote:Do you think you will make a full on tutorial video for SideChain ReAction for people completely new to this kind of FX of what every button and dial does? Like Speo did when he released FrameCV on YouTube, it would be great to hear someone do a in depth walkthrough of SideChain ReAction
Yes, this is a work in progress.
That's great!
You guys have got it all covered!
I'm loving the RE so far, can't wait to see the things I am overlooking with a tutorial.
Great work guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This Is LUST3R!
(Dubstep/EDM/Alternative - Music Producer, Reason User :reason:, DJ & Instrumentalist)
Check out my Soundcloud and FOLLOW ME!
https://soundcloud.com/lust3rofficial

geronimo

08 Apr 2017

Noel G. wrote:Thank you. Let us know if there if anything is unclear in the manual.
I understand the PASS THRU function from the manual but do not see its interest or use. Maybe I have trouble translating ?

Is it to hear the work of Envelopes when REASON is stopped, for example since it is a synchronization effect ?
Maybe frog974 can help me, in French!

frog974new

09 Apr 2017

geronimo wrote:
Noel G. wrote:Thank you. Let us know if there if anything is unclear in the manual.
I understand the PASS THRU function from the manual but do not see its interest or use. Maybe I have trouble translating ?

Is it to hear the work of Envelopes when REASON is stopped, for example since it is a synchronization effect ?
Maybe frog974 can help me, in French!
Geronimo ^^
L'explication est très simple .
L'utilité du Pass THRU est de pouvoir entendre le son qui transite par ce rack extension lorsque on n'appuie pas sur play , ou que ce même rack extension n'est pas "triggée" par d'autre utilitaire tel que le "pattern Matrix" de reason .

Petit exemple , créer un Dr.Octorex , puis créer un SideChain ReAction ( ne nouveau rack extension , directement cablé à a sortie audio du Dr.octorex) . Lorsque notre séquenceur est à l'arrêt ( pas de "Play" ) si l'on souhaite pouvoir entendre notre boucle Rex , il faut que Pass THRU " soit activer et on entendra le son sans effet .

Finalement la fonction Pass Thru agit un peu comme une sorte de Bypass pour le module . L'intérêt de la chose est qu'a chaque fois que l'on désire travailler sur notre son de base ( sans effet ) , il suffit juste de faire "stop" dans notre séquenceur , puis une fois notre son ajusté plus qu'à relancer notre morceau avec "Play" . Un gain de temps énorme au lieu à chaque fois soit de faire bypass /on du rack extension par exemple ;).

geronimo

09 Apr 2017

Many thanks: I understood that correctly, especially since one can bypass each envelope separately..

(French translation) _ Merci: je l'avais bien compris ainsi , surtout que l'on peut bypasser chaque enveloppe séparément .

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

10 Apr 2017

For those who don't understand French, here's the Google translation:
Geronimo ^^
The explanation is very simple.
The use of the THRU Pass is to hear the sound that passes through this rack extension when you do not press play, or that the same rack extension is not triggered by another utility such as the pattern Matrix "of reason.

For example, create a Dr.Octorex, then create a SideChain ReAction (no new rack extension, directly wired to the audio output of Dr.octorex). When our sequencer is stopped (no "Play") if we want to hear our Rex loop, Pass THRU "must activate and we will hear the sound without effect.

Finally the Pass Thru function acts a bit like a Bypass for the module. The advantage of this is that whenever you want to work on our basic sound (no effect), you just have to do "stop" in our sequencer, then once our sound adjusted more than Restart our song with "Play". A huge time saving instead every time either to make bypass / on the extension rack for example
To elaborate further, PASS THRU allows SCRE to have 2 modes. The mode when PASS THRU is ON allows the original signal to 'pass thru' unaffected, until SCRE is triggered, so this is good for say ghost triggers (ala ghost kicks / snares etc) to duck the signal when the trigger is playing - very much like sidechaining into a compressor. When PASS THRU is OFF, you get no dry signal (when mix is at 100%) but when SCRE is triggered whatever audio is being fed into SCRE at that time will be processed and volume ducked. This is so that you could have SCRE as your defining volume control when doing sound design

For example:
◙ In a Combinator, add a Thor followed by SCRE.
◙ Set Thor's Mod Matrix so that 'LAST KEY' is rigged to CV out 1.
◙ Loop that CV out 1 to SCRE ALL CV in.
◙ Turn on SCRE PASS THRU to OFF.
◙ Turn on SCRE ALL LOOP, RETRIG and RELEASE.

Now when Thor plays for example a lead or pad sound, SCRE will do the volume controlling of the sound and triggers only when MIDI is on. Since Thor is 'listening' always for the Last MIDI key, you can play chords because you have more than 1 key down. This in turn now makes SCRE a performance tool, which can be time sync'ed to your BPM, but will trigger only when the first note is being played.

We'll look at making some videos to show this, there's a couple of patches that do this already in the SCRE presets

Reasonistas
RE Developer

06 Nov 2017

Our SideChain ReAction Enveloper #SCRE received 5 stars and this awesome review. Write your #SCRE review @ https://goo.gl/sRN3Px
SCRE Review.png
SCRE Review.png (499.05 KiB) Viewed 3859 times
ImageImageImage

Reasonistas
RE Developer

08 Nov 2017

Just uploaded a 2nd quick #SCReTip video to quickly show how you can use a kick to trigger SCRE to duck on every kick. We're working on several more #SCReTip to demonstrate everything you can do with SCRE besides ducking sound. Please let us know if you have any questions, comments or requests.

ImageImageImage

Reasonistas
RE Developer

20 Nov 2017

FYI, SideChain ReAction will be on sale during the Black Friday Sale.
SCRE Black Friday Sale 2017.png
SCRE Black Friday Sale 2017.png (603.57 KiB) Viewed 3740 times
ImageImageImage

Reasonistas
RE Developer

26 Nov 2017

Just uploaded the 3rd #SCReTip video to show how easy it is to duck only the LOW and MID Range Frequencies using SCRE's built-in band splitter. Please let us know if you have any questions, comments or requests.

ImageImageImage

Reasonistas
RE Developer

06 Dec 2017

Just uploaded the 4th #SCReTip video showing how to control multiple parameters in Thor with a single envelope shape from SideChain ReAction. Please let us know if you have any questions, comments or requests.

ImageImageImage

HyperDiamondz

09 Jun 2020

Is it possible to just trigger the ducking envelope by gate trigger from say korg and then leave the envelope open?
Im having a play but the envelope always closes at the end of the envelope cycle which seems a bit counter productive.
I think maybe I am missing something?

Reasonistas
RE Developer

14 Jun 2020

HyperDiamondz wrote:
09 Jun 2020
Is it possible to just trigger the ducking envelope by gate trigger from say korg and then leave the envelope open?
Im having a play but the envelope always closes at the end of the envelope cycle which seems a bit counter productive.
I think maybe I am missing something?
Thanks for the inquiry. This seems to be the same question asked in Reasonistas' SCRE forum. We've responded there. https://www.reasonistas.com/forum/sidec ... er-by-gate
ImageImageImage

Loque

06 Dec 2020

I just bought this thing on this BF to have a simple Enveloper, multiband ducker and simple ducker. Now i had some more time to play around and i disliked the basic "duck" patch. So I hooked up my fav compressor for things like this, dialed it in to my taste and looked at the curve. And, wow! Suprisingly it looked different :-D

Ok, i expected this, recorded the CV gain reduction of the compressor and fed this into a Gain control. The result sounded kind of "un-smooth".

Back to SCRE i tried to dial in the curve i wanted and yes, it sounded quite good, even it wasnt that easy to hook up the curve. Than i remembered one reason i wanted to replace the typicall compressor side chain stuff, and that was the CPU usage. So, thanks to the great new feature i enabled the CPU monitor and wow, surprisingly the SCRE consumed at least doubled amount of CPU compared to the compressor. WTF?
screperformance.jpg
screperformance.jpg (137.92 KiB) Viewed 1828 times

Whats even more weird is, that on Bypass SCRE takes 2x, enabled 3x and on sequencer stop 5x the amount of CPU of the compressor :exclamation:

Any explanation, why the CPU usage is higher compared to a simple compressor?

And would it be possible to add manual curving to draw the curves? Maybe with a modifier key? Or to have a modifier key to remove existing points?
Reason12, Win10

antic604

06 Dec 2020

Loque wrote:
06 Dec 2020
I guess it's because of frequency splitting and fancy graphics (as it's still rendered by CPU for now).
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Loque

06 Dec 2020

antic604 wrote:
06 Dec 2020
Loque wrote:
06 Dec 2020
I guess it's because of frequency splitting and fancy graphics (as it's still rendered by CPU for now).
Maybe. Just used one envelope and only simple ducking. No multiband stuff. If it uses 5 times the CPU of a compressor, i take the compressor. Only drawback is the "linear" routing, which means some things need to wait for others, which they didnt need to if everything can be really parallel.
Reason12, Win10

Reasonistas
RE Developer

07 Dec 2020

Loque wrote:
06 Dec 2020
antic604 wrote:
06 Dec 2020

Maybe. Just used one envelope and only simple ducking. No multiband stuff. If it uses 5 times the CPU of a compressor, i take the compressor. Only drawback is the "linear" routing, which means some things need to wait for others, which they didnt need to if everything can be really parallel.
Loque, first and foremost, thanks for the support! As antic604 said, custom displays use dsp and the compressor has none. We'll look into dsp usage on standstill and get back to you.
ImageImageImage

• Information