Did anybody got Rebirth working on windows 8 ?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
CharlyCharlzz

18 Jan 2015

on the rebirth museum some say they instaled it on Windows 7 64 bits but it does not work with Windows 8 ,

normaly I should just uncompress the iso , right click and chose mount and then choose the .exe right ?!?!
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

CharlyCharlzz

18 Jan 2015

GeorgeFeb wrote:There you go mate: http://www.onetriberecords.com/rebirth_on_windows.pdf
cheers George ! it says I got to download another .exe to instal on Windows 64 bit and I dont have dvd's anyway .

there should be a way to instal it on w8 64 bit that don't need dvd's or demontools .

eusti

18 Jan 2015

I have to say this is one of the times when I'm really jealous of you windows guys! :frown:

(and when weird firmware updates for technical stuff do not work on Macs...)

It's interesting that although being through several OS upgrades old software like this still works on windows while any chances of doing that on a Mac seem totally impossible...

D.

tiker01

18 Jan 2015

Not even under virtual Windows?

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

eusti

18 Jan 2015

GeorgeFeb wrote: Not to start any holly war PC/Mac, but I really dunno how people are using Mac OS! :) You can't even play audio files like ogg & other without installing some shit!
Design & hardware wise Apple is good, though!
No worries about starting any wars here... I'm quite happy where I'm at and I know that there are things that aren't that great with Macs... Right now that's a trade off I'm willing to make.

D.

eusti

18 Jan 2015

And I don't want to install windows on my mac either... Luckily there is no "mission critical" software that is PC only for me at the moment...
But thank you for suggesting the option, George and tiker01!

D.

Heater

18 Jan 2015

eusti wrote:I have to say this is one of the times when I'm really jealous of you windows guys! :frown:

(and when weird firmware updates for technical stuff do not work on Macs...)

It's interesting that although being through several OS upgrades old software like this still works on windows while any chances of doing that on a Mac seem totally impossible...

D.
I saw this:-
Hi,

I was playing around yesterday to try to get Rebirth working in Mac OS X.
Couldn't find a guide on this so I'll document what I did here. It helps if you're somewhat familiar with Wine and Windows.

1) Download Wineskin - this is a wrapper to package windows applications with Wine without the need of a system wide Wine installation. http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tik...page=Downloads
2) Run it and (in the application) download the latest engine & wrapper.
3) Choose "Create New Blank Wrapper" and complete the setup. Call the wrapper "Rebirth".
4) Download the rebirth iso. http://www.rebirthmuseum.com/

Now, there's some issue with the rebirth iso and you can't mount it in Mac OS X. Not sure why but I get the message "not recognized" when trying to mount or convert it. I took the long path and converted it to .uif using MagicISO and then back to iso using a tool called uif2iso4mac. There may/should be a an easier method.

5) Mount the converted ISO
6) Right-click Rebirth.app you created using Wineskin and select show package contents.
7) Run "Wineskin" found in the package.
7) Click "Install Software", "Choose Setup Executable" and navigate to "Install Rebirth RB-338.EXE"
8) Run the installation process and when back in Wineskin, click "Advanced", "Tools" and "Config Utility (winecfg)".
9) Click the "Drives" tab, click "Add...", choose a letter
10) Click "Browse..." and navigate to the mounted folder.
11) Click "Show Advanced" and select Type "CD-ROM"
12) Close Wineskin and now double-click your "Rebirth.app"

The application should launch.
Not sure about the distribution rules for Rebirth but if ok I could upload the configured Rebirth.app and the converted iso somewhere. That way you shouldn't have to configure anything to get it to run.

Please let me know if the instructions are unclear or anything could be done easier.
From this thread.

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/sho ... ?p=1184934

That might work.

eusti

18 Jan 2015

Thanks, Heater! Will look into that! :)

D.

eusti

18 Jan 2015

Looks like MagicISO is a PC only program and needed to convert the downloaded Rebirth file...
Even then it seems that you cannot use it via the Rebirth Input Machine... Kind of defeats the purpose for me...
It's ok, I'll live! ;)

D.

eusti

18 Jan 2015

But Normen had posted in that thread and might be of help in that regard.
(and sorry for slightly derailing the thread!)

D

Resonator

18 Jan 2015

I'm glad I still have my old PC in another room. That's the only way I get to use the ReBirth Input Machine. Maybe a used laptop would be your best bet.

eusti

18 Jan 2015

Resonator wrote:I'm glad I still have my old PC in another room. That's the only way I get to use the ReBirth Input Machine. Maybe a used laptop would be your best bet.
Thank you, Resonator! But it's definitely not that important to me... I started music on the Mac with ReBirth... So, I have a fond place for it... But definitely do not want to add any new partitions to my HD or machines for it.

D.

CharlyCharlzz

19 Jan 2015

all these work arounds do my head in , I want to rather burn and instal winth compatibility mod or just do a click instal :frown:

I dont want to have virtual stuff on my system it put my motherboard in danger !

CharlyCharlzz

19 Jan 2015

virtual drive are acting like a DVD-rom player and sometimes your motherboard burns from them because it send ewlectric signal into the motherboard to a unexisting rom and burn the electronic .

so no virtual drives for me .

I know it I use to play cracked games 7 or 8 years ago :D  after deep investigations I realised drive emulation is unnstable . 

PS: I only use legal working softwares updated to run normaly on Windows so I dont break my computer with virtual drives ,
it is more then strange to need a vitual drive for a old software and virtual drivers are a risk for the computer life length .

Failed Muso

19 Jan 2015

Why Props haven't put ReBirth in to a Rack Extension is beyond me.

Or maybe it isn't... :?

CharlyCharlzz

19 Jan 2015

By the way george , with Windows 8 it looks like you dont need deamon Tools because when you right click on a iso it give a mount option !

but still it did not work :frown:

• Information