Moving midi notes up/down an octave

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
johnghadimi

07 Mar 2017

Hi;

Been looking everywhere to figure out how to do this in the Reason pianoroll (edit screen):

- I'd like to select one midi note or a group of notes
- and through a keyboard shortcut, automatically move them up or down an octave

I can do this pretty easily in Ableton Live, and I'm sure that is also available in Reason, but couldn't find it. I realize there is the tool window, but that requires more than one step to perform that task.

Appreciate the insight and information. Thank you.

John

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

07 Mar 2017

If you don't want to use the tools window (to me that is pretty fast way to do it) once you have the midi notes highlighted, hold the Ctrl+arrow up or arrow down to move the notes but that is 12 key presses for an octave, Using the tool window could be as little as 2 presses, F8 and Apply if the transpose has already been set..

johnghadimi

07 Mar 2017

Thank you. Didn't know about the F8 shortcut. And doing that up arrow/down arrow action 12 times to do an octave kinda defeats the purpose of it being quick. :)

BillyRayRansom

08 Mar 2017

If you click on the Note above the sequencer as in the example in this picture, you can drag your mouse forward or backward to slide the note values up and down.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Olivier

08 Mar 2017

BillyRayRansom wrote:Image

If you click on the Note above the sequencer as in the example in this picture, you can drag your mouse forward or backward to slide the note values up and down.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Or type +12 in the note field... and you go up an octave
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

08 Mar 2017

Olivier wrote: Or type +12 in the note field... and you go up an octave
or -12 to go down an octave.... thanks for that I did not know that one, quite handy, also noticed you can type in the midi note number as well..

johnghadimi

08 Mar 2017

Ah yes!! This is awesome. Thank you for that tip. Entering +/- 12 is exactly what I was looking for.

Olivier

08 Mar 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
Olivier wrote: Or type +12 in the note field... and you go up an octave
or -12 to go down an octave.... thanks for that I did not know that one, quite handy, also noticed you can type in the midi note number as well..
Its not just that, there's a lot of manipulations you can do easily and quickly using the inspector.
The method of using + and - works in almost all the fields.

Want to move some notes 5 beats back, type -.5 in the position. - for going back, .5 to indicate that you want to alter the second value.
+1 to move a bar, -.3 to move 3 beats back, +..5 to send your selected notes 5 16th notes forward...
This works for entire clips, but it also works for notes and events (i.e. automation)

Want to match the level on multiple notes ? select them and press the = thats behind the up/down arrows in the Velocity inspector..

Etc etc..
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

househoppin09

08 Mar 2017

Olivier wrote:Its not just that, there's a lot of manipulations you can do easily and quickly using the inspector.

Want to move some notes 5 beats back, type -.5 in the position. - for going back, .5 to indicate that you want to alter the second value.
+1 to move a bar, -.3 to move 3 beats back, +..5 to send your selected notes 5 16th notes forward...
This works for entire clips, but it also works for notes and events (i.e. automation)

Want to match the level on multiple notes ? select them and press the = thats behind the up/down arrows in the Velocity inspector..

Etc etc..
Holy cow! I never knew about some of those. Thank you so much, that's awesome. Now I'm dying to know what the "etc etc" is... ;) Is this stuff fully laid out in the Reason manual? I don't remember seeing some of these details there, or anywhere else.

WongoTheSane

10 Mar 2017

Olivier wrote:Its not just that, there's a lot of manipulations you can do easily and quickly using the inspector.
I didn't know that, thanks!!

• Information