SDK 2.5: New RE Wishlist

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
joeyluck

06 Feb 2017

chk071 wrote:Well, frankly, i don't remember any detail of what happened, but, as far as i read, the decision to discontinue RE development was made after an argument over the performance issues of the u-he RE plugins, on the PUF, and Urs got quite mad in that argument, and pulled development. I don't think it is silly to assume an ego too, i know of more than once situation where the u-he guys weren't exactly well-receptive of criticism of their products, Satin is another example of that. As mentioned, i don't think that's a wonder though, if people brown-nose your constantly in forums, and on social media. Their products are certainly good, probably among the best, but, they don't really suffer from a lack of self-confidence, to say the least.
It had nothing to do with ego. While the Uhbiks perform well enough in my opinion, there were things Urs would have liked to do to optimize them that they apparently couldn't do because of the SDK at the time. It bothered him before anybody was making stink about it. Losing his teammate who worked on the Rack Extension side coupled with not being able to optimize to his liking or provide further support brought about the idea of pulling them from the shop at the time; as a thought of doing the right thing from a support angle, not to spite. That was my take.

riemac

06 Feb 2017

Creativemind wrote:Would the new SDK allow for this baby to possibly be ported to the Re world maybe:-

I think Hive would be the best synth from U-HE to port over to Rack Extension, because it's very light on the CPU. With the new SDK all other things should be possible as well. I hope Urs takes a look at the new SDK and makes it come true.

Creativemind

06 Feb 2017

Yes, Hive is beautiful ain't it.

I agree.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

talex

06 Feb 2017

Creativemind wrote:
talex wrote:
Creativemind wrote:
talex wrote:I'd like to see better options for resizing. It would be so cool if we could have components collapse next to each other into blocks or window like resizing capabilities. How about micro SSL channels in the rack?

Right now the way things open and close take up a ridiculous amount of screen space.
Like half rack devices?

Drop downs to open up devices would be great too like Thor, Kong and Dr.Octo.Rex.

Half rack devices could be cool. Big yes on drop downs. Being able to resize via grab and drag large rack devices like Thor instead of using a show programmer button would be great.
What dragging down with the mouse to open the devices up?
Yes. I'd still like to have the open close buttons. But dragging to size via mouse seems like an awesome feature to me.
Imagine being able to make your Reason devices full screen for tweaking and programming.

Creativemind

07 Feb 2017

talex wrote:Yes. I'd still like to have the open close buttons. But dragging to size via mouse seems like an awesome feature to me.
Imagine being able to make your Reason devices full screen for tweaking and programming.
Oh yeah full screen mode for full rack devices is an idea I thought of. Maybe next to the file up/down arrows, folder and disc icons but then that would mean replacing those icons on all full rack devices including Re's which would be quite a big task for the Props.

Creativemind

16 Feb 2017

Along with Hive, I'd like to see Fab Filter Pro Q 2, D16 Group Punchbox, Sonic Academy Kick or Sample Magic Stacker (which is more likely seeing as they're already on board with Propellerhead with refills), the Korg M1 and Wavestation, Lennar Digital Sylenth 2, ReFX Nexus, Plug-In Boutique Virtual CZ and would love Roland to come on board and make the System 100 and SH-101 synths as Re's. Not many lol! It'd also be great if some the Universal Audio, Waves and Soundtoys effect vst's were ported also but maybe wishful thinking all this lol!

joeyluck

19 Feb 2017

Here's a question...

SDK 2.5 release notes said nothing about changeable skins...
But if you can have switchable panels, could you theoretically have panels of identical widgets/parameters with different skins?
Thus making it possible to have your entire plugin have changeable skins in a roundabout way?

scratchnsnifff

20 Feb 2017

Creativemind wrote:
talex wrote:I'd like to see better options for resizing. It would be so cool if we could have components collapse next to each other into blocks or window like resizing capabilities. How about micro SSL channels in the rack?

Right now the way things open and close take up a ridiculous amount of screen space.
Like half rack devices?

Drop downs to open up devices would be great too like Thor, Kong and Dr.Octo.Rex.
Was thinking the other day that it would be cool. If collapsed mix channels still had the knobs and buttons exposed, so you could save room and still tweak while being able to see what your doing, even if they just put two rotaries and two buttons I feel like that'd be mad handy, and would ALMOST feel like having 8 rotaries on a combinator, at least in my eyes haha. Some great suggestions!
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

scratchnsnifff

20 Feb 2017

Also does anyone think izotope should port some of their tools over!!?!?!? Like the multiband distortion and the device that can listen to a .WAV and see how the master track was EQ'd or even if the ssl eq could read songs like that. It'd be a great way to learn how to properly use Eqs when mixing/mastering. With the birth of scales and chords I could see the props wanting people to want to have an easier time with the engineering aspect
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

20 Feb 2017

joeyluck wrote: It bothered him before anybody was making stink about it.

Not true. Apparently, there were other devs who were around at the time. Most of them used the proper forums for discussing it.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

20 Feb 2017

joeyluck wrote:if you can have switchable panels, could you theoretically have panels of identical widgets/parameters with different skins?
Thus making it possible to have your entire plugin have changeable skins in a roundabout way?

Not true either. Well, ok, not entirely untrue ;) A switchable panel can't be the entire front panel.

One could do a really, really big switchable panel that would cover most of the device and offer a variety of skins, and I doubt it'll be long before someone does exactly that. But it's impossible to do the entire thing, because the top/bottoms and sides can't be included in the switch and therefore changed. However, there are easily ways the front could be designed to give the impression it's the entire front by use of some kind of neutral border for the unchangeable areas.

Creativemind

20 Feb 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:Also does anyone think izotope should port some of their tools over!!?!?!? Like the multiband distortion and the device that can listen to a .WAV and see how the master track was EQ'd or even if the ssl eq could read songs like that. It'd be a great way to learn how to properly use Eqs when mixing/mastering. With the birth of scales and chords I could see the props wanting people to want to have an easier time with the engineering aspect
Sounds like a good plan to me.

joeyluck

20 Feb 2017

JiggeryPokery wrote:
joeyluck wrote:if you can have switchable panels, could you theoretically have panels of identical widgets/parameters with different skins?

Not true either. Well, ok, not entirely untrue ;) A switchable panel can't be the entire front panel.

One could do a really, really big switchable panel that would cover most of the device and offer a variety of skins, and I doubt it'll be long before someone does exactly that. But it's impossible to do the entire thing, because the top/bottoms and sides can't be included in the switch and therefore changed. However, there are easily ways the front could be designed to give the impression it's the entire front by use of some kind of neutral border for the unchangeable areas.
Seems like a fun idea. I imagine someone will do it.

Gulale

20 Feb 2017

Ok my wish is to get slate trigger and hopefully cross platform so that I can get it for free. Most important thing is PDC and then I will start to fantasise what I need.
Gulale aka Bereket

Creativemind

20 Feb 2017

riemac wrote:
Creativemind wrote:Would the new SDK allow for this baby to possibly be ported to the Re world maybe:-

I think Hive would be the best synth from U-HE to port over to Rack Extension, because it's very light on the CPU. With the new SDK all other things should be possible as well. I hope Urs takes a look at the new SDK and makes it come true.
One thing that will seriously hinder Hive being ported is it's size. Looks like it's about 16U lol! to give you a comparison, Thor is 9U.

Marc64

20 Feb 2017

Wonder if the props will come up with some kind of window mode thingie for larger RE's... Having a simplified RE synth/effect that has the basic knobs and faders etc in the rack and with a touch of a button it pops up in a window fully charged with all the goodies it can hold like a large VST.

joeyluck

03 Mar 2017

joeyluck wrote:
JiggeryPokery wrote:

Seems like a fun idea. I imagine someone will do it.
Skrock did it! :puf_smile:

selig
RE Developer

04 Mar 2017

Creativemind wrote:
riemac wrote:

One thing that will seriously hinder Hive being ported is it's size. Looks like it's about 16U lol! to give you a comparison, Thor is 9U.
Not really…
Selig Audio, LLC

Creativemind

04 Mar 2017

Hive is considerably bigger than Thor. Seen it in action. It's bigger than the whole sequencer (playlist) in FL Studio. Unless you reduced it's size and then some of the parameters may be too small but dunno. I suppose it'd be minus the keyboard / pitch bend / mod wheel section at the bottom in Reason.

RandomSkratch

04 Mar 2017

Marc64 wrote:Wonder if the props will come up with some kind of window mode thingie for larger RE's... Having a simplified RE synth/effect that has the basic knobs and faders etc in the rack and with a touch of a button it pops up in a window fully charged with all the goodies it can hold like a large VST.
Like a Combinator? [emoji1]

selig
RE Developer

04 Mar 2017

Creativemind wrote:Hive is considerably bigger than Thor. Seen it in action. It's bigger than the whole sequencer (playlist) in FL Studio. Unless you reduced it's size and then some of the parameters may be too small but dunno. I suppose it'd be minus the keyboard / pitch bend / mod wheel section at the bottom in Reason.
My point - It's not 16 spaces, if you were to put it in the rack…

The question isn't how to make it fit "as is" (which could never work in Reason), the question is whether it can fit in the rack. Looks like it's controls are no smaller than Thor's when compared at rack-width, and there's even room to add more stuff if need be.

But I'm guessing we won't see it any time soon as an RE for other reasons…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Marc64

05 Mar 2017

RandomSkratch wrote:
Marc64 wrote:Wonder if the props will come up with some kind of window mode thingie for larger RE's... Having a simplified RE synth/effect that has the basic knobs and faders etc in the rack and with a touch of a button it pops up in a window fully charged with all the goodies it can hold like a large VST.
Like a Combinator? [emoji1]
hehe more or less yes :) but when "maximazed" the RE pops up out from the rack in a window :)

• Information