Creating a 808 Sub- / Kick with Reason Synths

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Tobi Rice

24 Feb 2017

Hi together,

first off i`m not very good in sound design so far. i prefer to set my focus on composing and arranging as i don`t have the actual time that i would like to have to spend with making music. but when it comes to 808`s i think is really not worth to buy sample packs with 808-samples that aren`t really in correct key. so i want to create my own.
i saw some videos on youtube that explain how to create a 808-style bass with thor. well i tried to recreate it and the result is very close to the tutorial and actually i think it shouldn`t be that difficult. But i dont really understand it. So i would like to create a 808 bass and put it combinator which is in the correct key where i can control decay, attack, release and especially the Portamento which can create that typicall 808 slides.
So i wonder if you guys can help me? Is it possible to use any synth for it in reason? Is it possible to create it with Expanse Hyperwave Synthesizer and use the different waveforms for the individual character of the sound?

I really appreciaty any tipps&help
Reason 3-10, Propulsion Drum Sequencer,
Synchronous, Synapse Antidote

Nektar Panorma P4, Push2

Loque

24 Feb 2017

The 808 kick is based on on a simple sine wave oscillator, with special ADR curves and filter envelope and a short pitch curve. That can be done with every other synth as well. It is actually on my todo list do try exactly this out. A few weeks ago i made a basic patch for kick and i really liked the control i had over the kick sound. And just by using different oscilator waves the sound is different. Combined with a sub sine, saturation, shaping and more, the possibilities are overwhelming. Now i want to try exactly what you ask, use e.g. eXpanse to create a kick, and see what happens with my own oscillator waves or "moving" waves to get a slight modulation on it. I also think, that a bit FM makes the kick sound much better. So, imo, just try and find out for yourself if you like it.
Reason12, Win10

Peter

24 Feb 2017

There are a bunch of tutorials for this on YouTube. Probably more tuts for 808 kicks than anything else.

You don't need eXpanse to make an 808 kick. The real experimentation with "character" is going to be with processing such as saturation.
Tobi Rice wrote:So i would like to create a 808 bass and put it combinator which is in the correct key
You don't have to worry about the key unless you purposely detune the oscillator in the synth which most likely isn't going to happen.
Tobi Rice wrote:where i can control decay, attack, release and especially the Portamento which can create that typicall 808 slides.
Are you asking how to map them to Combinator rotaries? :?

Check out the 808 Thor tutorial by JustScience. I would post it but my work blocks us from going on YouTube. :lol:

Addition: from da phone. :D

Tobi Rice

25 Feb 2017

Thanks for your answers Loque and Peter,

things became a bit more clear now. I´ve reconstructed the tutorial by JustScience and i think it couldn`t be explained better by anyone else but it`s still not the case that i totally understood what i did when i followed the steps in the tutorial. So in my stage of "skills" im not able to reconstruct this tutorial with another synth like e.g expanse. So it`s simply my lack of knowledge about programming different synths i guess.
You don't need eXpanse to make an 808 kick. The real experimentation with "character" is going to be with processing such as saturation.
I wondered if it`s possible to use the waveforms in expanse to experiment with the character of the 808 sound.
Are you asking how to map them to Combinator rotaries? :?
No, thats someting im able to do. I just wanted to explain the situation and the target i want to reach with it.

Nektar Panorma P4, Push2

theshoemaker

25 Feb 2017

The only thing you really need, when it comes to 808 in Reason is the free Phuturetone. I got this tipp from another thread here in the Forum. IIRC it has been Skulture. There is also a 303 and 909 emulation inside. Samples, Kong Combinators, ReDrum, Thor ... Everything you wish for. There are Thor patches for KEY tracked pitch. So you can create the pitches you really need.

When it comes to TAPE compression for making them sound fat just put a Audiomatic Retro Transformer on it. If you want to have a dirty distorted sound dial the Transform rotary in at roughly arround 30 %. And when you want it to boom and just be compressed dial in up to 100%.

http://phuturetone.com/

Have fun with it! You really don't need another sample pack for this.
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

Loque

25 Feb 2017

I experimented a lot today. Best results for 808 are sine like waves. For harder kicks use higher pitches or higher sine rates. Overdriving, saturation, massive compression serial or parallel creates nice results. But due to latency issues you have to render the kick and parallel track and adjust it until it fits.

Layering sounds is quite complicated and requires filtering, eg. if you want a click in it.

The basic is still in all cases a sine like wave, short decay, and pitch modulation, also short decay.
Reason12, Win10

Tobi Rice

27 Feb 2017

@ theshoemaker: yes i also read about this phuturetone emulation before but it seems i`ve neverdownloaded & tried it. so thanks for that i will check it out. also thanks for the tipp with the Audiomatic Retro Transformer im curious how it will affect to the sound :)

@ Loque: Yes yesterday i also had some good time with experimenting in thor and create myself some nice patches. the only thing i still struggle is when it comes to the slides between the notes. of course with portamento funtion it goes into the right direction but still i only want that effect on some notes. so i wonder how you do it? are you automate the portamento with like on/off or amount in the automation line? or you have any tipp to do it in a better way?
Layering sounds is quite complicated and requires filtering, eg. if you want a click in it.
You mean if i layer the sub with another bass/kick sample?

Nektar Panorma P4, Push2

Loque

27 Feb 2017

Yes, layering with other kicks or a filtered hihat, rim or whatever. With low frequencies you run easily in phasing problems. And dont forget, EQ is your friend when shaping a kick.

I normally dont want the kick to change, but you can try a LFO on modulation curve as the scale or the decay. With manual slight it becomes more complicated,but can try to separate the slight notes on a different Note Lane and add some shufflw with Groove Mixer.
Reason12, Win10

theshoemaker

27 Feb 2017

Tobi Rice wrote:@ theshoemaker: yes i also read about this phuturetone emulation before but it seems i`ve neverdownloaded & tried it. so thanks for that i will check it out. also thanks for the tipp with the Audiomatic Retro Transformer im curious how it will affect to the sound :)

@ Loque: Yes yesterday i also had some good time with experimenting in thor and create myself some nice patches. the only thing i still struggle is when it comes to the slides between the notes. of course with portamento funtion it goes into the right direction but still i only want that effect on some notes. so i wonder how you do it? are you automate the portamento with like on/off or amount in the automation line? or you have any tipp to do it in a better way?
You mean if i layer the sub with another bass/kick sample?
The Phuturetone is made from multiple Thor patches. look inside the combinator. Quite complex patches. As I said. Don't look any further. These are rather awesome and accurate emulations of the 808.

Update: Even props recommended it

As for the Audiomatic. When you turn up the Transform knob it will compress more. At around 30% it will have a nice gritty distorted sound. If you want to get more creative ad a Scream4 or Pulveriser before the TAPE to get more dirt and gritt.
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

Tobi Rice

03 Mar 2017

The weekend is comming and I´m looking forward to make music again :)

@ Loque : Appreciate your help and tipps.
@ theshoemaker: Also thanks for the tipp with Phuturetone, i`ve downloaded it already and I´m very curious what`s inside.

So i noticed for adding character the best effects are: Scream, Pulveriser and the Selig Saturation Knob.

Nektar Panorma P4, Push2

Simontho

09 Jul 2018

Is anyone kind enough to DM me a copy of the Phuturetone Analog Groove Boxes ReFill? I've been searching all afternoon to no results ... :) Thanks in advance!

aeox
Competition Winner

09 Jul 2018

Tobi Rice wrote:
03 Mar 2017
Selig Saturation Knob.
Softube :P

eusti

09 Jul 2018

Simontho wrote:
09 Jul 2018
Is anyone kind enough to DM me a copy of the Phuturetone Analog Groove Boxes ReFill? I've been searching all afternoon to no results ... :) Thanks in advance!
http://www.phuturetone.com/ ?

D.

kuhliloach

09 Jul 2018

eusti wrote:
09 Jul 2018
Simontho wrote:
09 Jul 2018

D.
dropbox link is dead - mirror?

Trefor

18 Jul 2018

Try this: i put together a Subtractor and Pulveriser in a Combi.
Attachments
Eight oh Eight.cmb.zip
(1.86 KiB) Downloaded 81 times

Marco Raaphorst

18 Jul 2018

Kong's electric BD can do great 808-like kicks as well.

Trefor

18 Jul 2018

The Subtractor patch 88 Kick in the Subtractor BassDrums folder is a pretty good starting point too.

kuhliloach

18 Jul 2018

eusti wrote:
09 Jul 2018
Simontho wrote:
09 Jul 2018

D.
Any luck? I still can't find it either.

Trefor

18 Jul 2018

Here's a link that I found to the download on the 'wayback machine'. I hope it works for you.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/257 ... ReFill.zip

• Information