Best way to install Windows on a Mac?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ambitran

19 Feb 2017

Virtual or parallel? I need it just for running Reason and audio.

Kaosis

19 Feb 2017

Parallel will run the best, virtual eats up resources as you run both OSes simultaneously.

Karim
Competition Winner

19 Feb 2017

Parallel lifeless!

Inviato dal mio SM-G925F utilizzando Tapatalk
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

miscend

19 Feb 2017

Bootcamp!

Fig

19 Feb 2017

Boot camp. Works perfect for me. Made my 2012 MacBook Pro anew machine. It's faster, super stable, and imho better than current OSX.
Dell desktop Win 10 /2012 MacBook Pro / Komplete Audio 6
Cubase Pro 10/ Reason Intro 11

esselfortium

19 Feb 2017

I use Parallels. It works well, but be forewarned that every year or so when a new major version of Mac OS comes out, the Parallels developers make you pay an upgrade fee to get it to work on the new OS.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

kitekrazy

20 Feb 2017

ambitran wrote:Virtual or parallel? I need it just for running Reason and audio.
Just curious why you need to do this?

sumusik

21 Feb 2017

I have to agree with some of the other and go with Bootcamp.

ambitran

21 Feb 2017

kitekrazy wrote:
ambitran wrote:Virtual or parallel? I need it just for running Reason and audio.
Just curious why you need to do this?
Mac OSX has gone downhill in CPU resources for Reason since probably Mavericks and I've seen a lot of people moving to Windows to run Reason on their Macs.

Thanks everyone!

ambitran

21 Feb 2017

Is there a big difference between the latest Windows versions? 7 vs 8 vs 10 for best CPU performance?

theshoemaker

21 Feb 2017

Fig wrote:Boot camp. Works perfect for me. Made my 2012 MacBook Pro anew machine. It's faster, super stable, and imho better than current OSX.
I prefere CoreAudio ... and MacOs has a real shell. Won't go back to Windows anytime soon :)
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

Fig

21 Feb 2017

I don't know about "big difference", but Win 10 works great. FYI I do not use the internet on music computers.
Dell desktop Win 10 /2012 MacBook Pro / Komplete Audio 6
Cubase Pro 10/ Reason Intro 11

chk071

22 Feb 2017

Is performance on OS X really that bad that people have to migrate their audio stuff to Windows? Can't imagine that really, as Apple always put emphasis on audio application in MacOS. Is it maybe a matter of configuring your system correctly, or an issue with certain audio hardware?
:reason: :rebirth:

dvdrtldg

22 Feb 2017

chk071 wrote:Is performance on OS X really that bad that people have to migrate their audio stuff to Windows? Can't imagine that really, as Apple always put emphasis on audio application in MacOS. Is it maybe a matter of configuring your system correctly, or an issue with certain audio hardware?
I've never had major issues running Reason on a MacBook Pro, but apparently the new machines don't run R9 very efficiently - which I believe is primarily a Propellerheads problem, not a Mac OS problem. I'm about to upgrade to a new MBP so will probably install Windows on it for Reason unless/until the issue is fixed

ambitran

24 Feb 2017

chk071 wrote:Is performance on OS X really that bad that people have to migrate their audio stuff to Windows? Can't imagine that really, as Apple always put emphasis on audio application in MacOS. Is it maybe a matter of configuring your system correctly, or an issue with certain audio hardware?
Apparently since Apple introduced the IOS team to their OSX, the everyday consumer became their focus more than the creative croud like us.

chk071

24 Feb 2017

That's a shame. Guess they gotta watch out that they don't put off one of their major target audience (artists).
:reason: :rebirth:

satyr32

27 Feb 2017

i have the latest and best macbook pro. 2.9GhZ i7.
i had to install windows with bootcamp cause of Reasons performance in OSX:
On my machine Reason on bootcamp has about 25% more CPU ressources. That is really a shame for the culprit, who i do not know who it is, either the OS, Propellerheads or maybe the hardware components.

Regarding your question, use BOOTCAMP. paralles desktop and such are not good if you need lots of CPU like audio stuff, you will loose half of your CPU power.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

• Information