Organic FM Growl Setup - Video Tutorial

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
alex

04 Feb 2017

Hi,

in this video tutorial, besides the growl sound itself, I want to show you few things:
  • the Audio Rate FM capabilities of the Ammo 100LA device
  • the FM synthesis interoperability between synth and samples
  • a Reason 9 setup/workflow for creating new growl sounds

Kudos to Jiggery-Pokery for the Ammo 100LA which is a brilliant device and also kudos to O1B reasontalk user for made realize that it has the FM option! (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7498726&p=304942&#p304942)

Rack Extension Used: Hope you like it!

Reason 9 project file download link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxWGr ... UhBams4a0E

PS: Due to a possibly bad audio encoder there are noticeable audio giltches/artifacts on this video which I'm currently unable to fix. However the original audio and the Reason 9 project file available for download don't have this issue.
Last edited by alex on 05 Feb 2017, edited 1 time in total.
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

scratchnsnifff

04 Feb 2017

Can this be done with pulsar?
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

East Island

05 Feb 2017

alex wrote: the Audio Rate FM capabilities of the Ammo 100LA device
Great video, the audio rate FM of the Ammo 100LA in your video is powerfull.
A Controle Freak. Loves Logic&Reason&Luna ;) , remote controllers.
https://soundcloud.com/east-island

Loque

05 Feb 2017

Great video! Thx.
Reason12, Win10

Karim
Competition Winner

05 Feb 2017

alex wrote:Hi,

in this video tutorial, besides the growl sound itself, I want to show you few things:

Rack Extension Required:
  • Jiggery-Pokery Ammo 100LA
  • Propellerhead Synchronous
  • Sonic Charge Echobode
  • kiloHearts Chorus (free)
Hope you like it!

PS: Due to a possibly bad audio encoder there are noticeable audio giltches/artifacts on this video which I'm currently unable to fix. However the original audio and the Reason 9 project file available for download don't have this issue.
Great Alex. Go!
;)
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

alex

05 Feb 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:Can this be done with pulsar?
Nope, Pulsar does not have audio rate modulation input. :|

You can try using Thor instead of Ammo.
Thor let's you to route any audio input to -> OSCx FM but I'm unable to get the same results.
I can be wrong but it seems to me that in Thor there is some "band-limiting" thing happening when doing FM from external audio source.
But I would be more than glad to be proven wrong or to have a good explanation from someone with a better understanding of this topic than me! :)

Anyway if you watch the video @13:22 what you really need from the FM is just a gritty/crisp/rough sound, the rest is all modulation stuff happening inside the Insert FX section, which you can copy&paste from one channel to another! (Synchronous, Peak EQ, Pulveriser, Echobode).

So in theory you can easily get similar sounds from other synths as a sources (and/or using short looped samples inside NN19/NNXT samplers) and then apply some disortion/eq before entering into that Insert FX modulation section! Makes sense? (hope so since I often struggle with english :D)

I still haven't tried but eXpanse could be a great candidate for that!

I've mainly used Ammo because one of the point the video was to show how versatile and powerful it can be and I was excited about the whole FM thing applied in the context of the modularity of the Reason environment! :puf_smile:

alex

05 Feb 2017

@East Island, @Loque, @Karim

Thanks guys! :)

Galaxy

05 Feb 2017

Holy moly guacamoley!!!!!!!!! This is one of the best tuts I've seen to date!! I wish I had ammo now. I wonder if this can be done with this Viking oscillator, it has audio rate FM too, but not sine :( Other than those two we have some filters with audio rate FM, wonder if those can self oscillate to act a oscillators also? Hmmmmm? Wonder if the clean key synced sine of ammo is the secret sauce here, mkay?

scratchnsnifff

05 Feb 2017

alex wrote:
scratchnsnifff wrote:Can this be done with pulsar?
Nope, Pulsar does not have audio rate modulation input. :|

You can try using Thor instead of Ammo.
Thor let's you to route any audio input to -> OSCx FM but I'm unable to get the same results.
I can be wrong but it seems to me that in Thor there is some "band-limiting" thing happening when doing FM from external audio source.
But I would be more than glad to be proven wrong or to have a good explanation from someone with a better understanding of this topic than me! :)

Anyway if you watch the video @13:22 what you really need from the FM is just a gritty/crisp/rough sound, the rest is all modulation stuff happening inside the Insert FX section, which you can copy&paste from one channel to another! (Synchronous, Peak EQ, Pulveriser, Echobode).

So in theory you can easily get similar sounds from other synths as a sources (and/or using short looped samples inside NN19/NNXT samplers) and then apply some disortion/eq before entering into that Insert FX modulation section! Makes sense? (hope so since I often struggle with english :D)

I still haven't tried but eXpanse could be a great candidate for that!

I've mainly used Ammo because one of the point the video was to show how versatile and powerful it can be and I was excited about the whole FM thing applied in the context of the modularity of the Reason environment! :puf_smile:
Il be sure to try this, i was going to try it using. Zero,px7, or fm4 I figured the same thing could. Be achieved I mainly want to try this here effect chain how could I substitute echobode

scratchnsnifff

05 Feb 2017

Galaxy wrote:Holy moly guacamoley!!!!!!!!! This is one of the best tuts I've seen to date!! I wish I had ammo now. I wonder if this can be done with this Viking oscillator, it has audio rate FM too, but not sine :( Other than those two we have some filters with audio rate FM, wonder if those can self oscillate to act a oscillators also? Hmmmmm? Wonder if the clean key synced sine of ammo is the secret sauce here, mkay?
No way, I do have the Viking oscillator il be sure to try that! Thanks for the idea

Peter

05 Feb 2017

Wow that's pretty cool! :)

mataya

06 Feb 2017

Yeah, sounds great. I just can't believe ammo 400R, that I own, doesn't have audio rate FM. Only CV.

M

alex

07 Feb 2017

Galaxy wrote:Holy moly guacamoley!!!!!!!!! This is one of the best tuts I've seen to date!! I wish I had ammo now. I wonder if this can be done with this Viking oscillator, it has audio rate FM too, but not sine :( Other than those two we have some filters with audio rate FM, wonder if those can self oscillate to act a oscillators also? Hmmmmm? Wonder if the clean key synced sine of ammo is the secret sauce here, mkay?
Thanks, glad you like it!

Oh Viking oscillator has audio rate FM... interesting! Did you have the opportunity to test it?

I have EtchRed, it has audio rate FM and yes it can self-oscillate! it can produce some cool sounds (especially considering that it's equipped with a great number of filter models, comb +/- included!!) although the results imo are not as good as a dedicated pure sine oscillator.
I suspect it is due to the feedback technique used for this kind of filters that generates "ringing" when pushed hard (something that should not happen with zero delay feedback filters) but I could be wrong here...

About the key sync: Ammo Oscillator can be either synced or free running. :thumbs_up: :)

alex

07 Feb 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote: Il be sure to try this, i was going to try it using. Zero,px7, or fm4 I figured the same thing could. Be achieved I mainly want to try this here effect chain how could I substitute echobode
Wait! You absolutely need echobode! it's the n.1 must have rack extension effect!!
Ok, jokes aside, I've used two echobode:

- the first one is mainly used to create some movement for the modulator oscillator. You can skip that effect if you replace the whole oscillator with another one that can evolve its timbre over the time, eXpanse comes first to my mind;

- the second echobode is used as phaser effect: so you can replace it with any another phaser effect of your liking!

:)

alex

07 Feb 2017

mataya wrote:Yeah, sounds great. I just can't believe ammo 400R, that I own, doesn't have audio rate FM. Only CV.

M
Oh that's a pity! I have Ammo 1200 BR also and it has external audio input but it's quite a complex device... I'm still unable to understad how to FM with it using an external audio signal... go figure! I should probably take some time off and RTFM! :)

scratchnsnifff

07 Feb 2017

This video made me tinker around with my blamsoft modular setup, the little FM. Capabilities on it are pretty cool it's not the same but it is pretty fun none the less

Galaxy

28 May 2017

I picked up this little guy, ammo, during May madness, can't wait to try this tut out :p

Jagwah

06 Mar 2019

Thread revival because this is a great tutorial!

What happened to the OP Alex? Been inactive for well over a year??

alex wrote:
04 Feb 2017
Hi,

Kudos to Jiggery-Pokery for the Ammo 100LA which is a brilliant device and also kudos to O1B reasontalk user for made realize that it has the FM option! (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7498726&p=304942&#p304942)

Rack Extension Used: Hope you like it!

• Information