Synapse Audio FX Bundle questions

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
JNeffLind

29 May 2015

I'm curious about the Synapse Audio FX Bundle.

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product_ ... fx-bundle/

Specifically, how well do you all think it compares to the built in effects in antidote which I already own. I've seen lots of positive mentions of the DR-1 and I'm interested in the ring modulator as well. Anyone else have the bundle or have any opinions on how the various components stack up to comparable items? For example I have Chenille as a chorus. I have the T2 phaser. I have the TSAR-1R reverb. Is it worth it (in your opinion). Trialing is a bit of a headache for me since my DAW computer isn't usually hooked up online and requires running a wire to do so (damned authorizer!).

All opinions are welcome.

tibah

29 May 2015

Antidote's effects are very similar, if not identical. The single effects may offer some extra features. The major aspect about getting them or not is if you always like to fire up a synth to use the reverb or chorus on it, or if you like a dedicated device with a little extra to it. There are some exceptions, like filtering isn't possible to use as an effect with Antidote, also no ring modulation as an effect. But then again, you get a delay, a distortion and a comp with Antidote. Weirdly enough the comp isn't that bad. ;)

Personally, there isn't too much in the bundle that gets my interest. Mainly DR-1 and the RM *maybe*. It's a good idea to put Antidote into a Combinator and assign the rotaries. I kinda have to force myself to even think about using Antidote that way, which is the advantage in getting the fx bundle.

manisnotabird

29 May 2015

The reverb is 100% identical. Don't think any of the other ones are identical.

eXode

30 May 2015

Like mentioned, the reverb in Antidote is pretty much identical to the DR-1. I think Richard said that the cut slopes are different, but that's it.

The phaser in Antidote is based on the AP-12, the difference being that Antidote offers 2, 4, and 6 stage modes, while AP-12 offers 6 and 12 stage modes. The AP-12 also offers a free running mode (i.e. not synced to host tempo).

The chorus in Antidote is completely unrelated to the DC-2 as far as I can tell.

The EQ in Antidote is completely unrelated to the VE-3. The later is based on the Bassman tone stack.

The Synapse FX bundle also has the Ring Mod and the AF-4 Ladder filter.

Antidote also has the distortion, the delay, and the compressor.

I think that the Synapse FX bundle could be quite good for guitarists/bassists, considering the phaser, ring mod, filter, and eq in particular.

dvdrtldg

30 May 2015

The Synapse bundle is quality all the way. I love the filter, it's one of my favourite REs, and the EQ is unique, took me a while to get used to it but I love it for bass boosts. Ring modulation isn't everyone's cup of tea, but at low setting the RM makes for a cool (non-synced) tremolo with overdrive. Chorus and Phaser are maybe overshadowed by other more recent devices with more bells & whistles (i.e. Chenille and T2 respectively) but they're still excellent, and lighter on CPU. Go get it.

JNeffLind

31 May 2015

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was getting ready to pull the trigger, then saw that the "Emotional Piano" is theoretically on the way. Depending on pricing that'll most likely eat up my budget, so I'll just hang out here "on the fence" as far as this FX bundle for the time being.

• Information