Gifting Rack Extensions

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Tweak

29 May 2015

Hey Guys and Girls,

The recent bundle sales have likely led to many people paying a second time for RE licenses they already own. I understand that these licenses are non-transferrable, and this makes sense to me from the point of view of resale, but I wonder why gifting of licenses bought in this way is not allowed. Without wanting to turn this into a 'why can't we sell REs' thread, this seems like something we could reasonably ask to have in absence of a 'complete my bundle' alternative.

Cheers,
Marc

PSoames

29 May 2015

I suspect, any mechanism put in place to transfer a license would soon be misused to sell a license.

Tweak

29 May 2015

I must admit I'd never really considered this as an argument against allowing this. Perhaps I'm not cynical enough, but I definitely get where you're coming from. Thanks for the response.

challism

29 May 2015

But if you have 2 licenses of the same thing, and you got one from buying a bundle, you really are getting ripped off not to have 2 licenses in your account.  I agree they should allow the transfer, if and only if, you have two licenses.
I must admit, though, if I had 2 licenses of the same thing and was allowed to transfer it as a gift, I would most likely sell it, then transfer it.
But we will NEVER see this happen.  How do I know this --->  Off topic rant alert: Propellerheads got mad at me for doing too many license transfers.  They said they have to go thru and manually transfer them (not sure why they can't just write some code to do it automatically), and that it costs them money (man hours/labor) to go in an manually do it.  And that they only allow transfers as a courtesy to the users (which is nice, so thanks for that).  But they said I was "abusing" the courtesy (funny, I don't remember seeing it in the fine print that I can't buy and sell licenses... also singling me out seems to be sort of illegal, especially given the fact that they talk about the 2nd hand market on their website, as if it is not a big deal).  So they locked my account from being able to transfer any more licenses.  I am a wheeler/dealer and buy/sell a lot of licenses and everything else I can get my hands on.  It's part of how I make a living... we all have to eat, right?  But I'm not a big boy like Sweetwater or Guitar Center, so they seem to have a problem with it.  Anyway.... bla bla bla... I find it quite lame. 
So they won't be letting us do any of the RE transfers in our lifetime, unless they sell the company, or wise up to some realities.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Exowildebeest

29 May 2015

It's really stupid that they haven't implemented a system to buy "gift codes" or something like that. That wouldn't affect the no-transfer policy at all.

Tincture

29 May 2015

You know that ppi compensation stuff that's gone on in the uk? I'm hoping my double ups without right to sell or transfer even though I've paid twice, will end up the same. Even if it puts the props out of business... They've said they'll open up all REs... Or someone other than them has said that.

• Information