Deep look into McDSP Compressor's with The Rack in Review

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Fretless Fingers

29 May 2015

Somehow I missed posting this last week but you still have time to pick these bad boys up before the sale end's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChGykCrPsqQ
:reason: v10 :record: :recycle: :refill: :re: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :ignition:
reason-expert.com Author, video maker, producer

mayzon

29 May 2015

Well, I just brought the C670 :D

Emian

29 May 2015

bought the bundle & love them all :)

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

zeebot

29 May 2015

Nice video but I dont really see why I need these?
I have the SSL comp, the dcam bundle and leveler. I understand that these mcdsp comps have different flavours but is that it? I dont quite get why people are raving about them.
Can someone explain why I would need them considering the comps I already have?
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

JNeffLind

29 May 2015

I'd like to hear the justifications for these in particular too. Not doubting their worth, just curious. Is it just a matter of a bit of a different coloring? As a mixing noob that's not quite enough for me. Not judging though. I own more guitars than I need because they all sound a play a bit different. Is there anything revolutionary about these compared to say the C1-L1, the RE-2A, the Softube FET, or the Leveler? Thanks for the input.

Fretless Fingers

29 May 2015

JNeffLind wrote:I'd like to hear the justifications for these in particular too. Not doubting their worth, just curious. Is it just a matter of a bit of a different coloring? As a mixing noob that's not quite enough for me. Not judging though. I own more guitars than I need because they all sound a play a bit different. Is there anything revolutionary about these compared to say the C1-L1, the RE-2A, the Softube FET, or the Leveler? Thanks for the input.
Sometimes a compressor doesn't quite fit. It does the math of compression all around but certain ones sound different. Sometimes my C1-Alpha sounds good on a drum bus, but sometimes I prefer the FET 1176 from Softube or, the Mootube. They all ride a little differently and some just have a different flavor.

The C670 is the one I use most often, but they all find there way into my tracks
:reason: v10 :record: :recycle: :refill: :re: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :ignition:

Fretless Fingers

29 May 2015

zeebot wrote:Nice video but I dont really see why I need these?
I have the SSL comp, the dcam bundle and leveler. I understand that these mcdsp comps have different flavours but is that it? I dont quite get why people are raving about them.
I can't say you need them. They all have different flavors and the Mootube and C670 do a great job of just gluing tracks together with minimal effort

On that note I own C1-Alpha, Selig Leveler, Softube FET, Audio Damage Rough Rider, and all the stock compressors and I still found enough need after trial to give these guys my money

While I can't tell you you have to purchase them I can tell you you get a LOW DSP, No Latency (something I'll be more stringent to display in future videos) quality compressors with some nice subtle flavor. Give them a look and really decide for yourself if its worth the investment

Emian

29 May 2015

the Moo works great on long basses, even adds a tad of low end,  the 'Frog" does well for me on kicks & staccato basses; my Subboombass loves it a lot ^^ ; the c670 i'm still figguring out...

What makes these comps so great (beyond what i mentioned before) is their low impact on CPU !!
i mean, i have FET, i love it on my drumbuss, but i can't throw it around the rack without an impact on CPU, with the McDSP's i can :)
(i don't have the DCAMs, or Leveler, but i'm very pleased withthe McDSP's , truely !)

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

gak

29 May 2015

I was skeptical about them at first two. But as mentioned they are incredibly efficient and do an excellent job of providing various tasks with a little more specific needs than the SSL. 

Puckboy2000

30 May 2015

Great video. Keep them coming!
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than than that" - George Carlin

propsiman

30 May 2015

Yes, I own these three compressors too. They are really good. For me also a lot easier to handle as the DCAM stuff whitch I own too.

Try on Drums/Drumbus first a Mootube and then a Frg in series....really fat and punchy.

normen

30 May 2015

If you don't see (or rather hear) the difference then you definitely don't need them. And I'm not saying this in a mean spirit. Theres way too many people putting plugins on their tracks just because somebody said they do "magic", add "warmth" or some other BS without them actually hearing what they do.

Fretless Fingers

30 May 2015

normen wrote:
If you don't see (or rather hear) the difference then you definitely don't need them. And I'm not saying this in a mean spirit. Theres way too many people putting plugins on their tracks just because somebody said they do "magic", add "warmth" or some other BS without them actually hearing what they do.
Norman is absolutely right. As I said I can't tell you that you need hem but if you hear a difference and enjoy what they add as far as sound and workflow I would definitely bring them into your rack. If not pass. You have other options

Also Normen thank you so much for he sample delay. It's one device I need to really cover based on how much I'm using it

MDTerps2015

30 May 2015

normen wrote:
Whats funny is i hear a considerable difference. I shelved the dcam compressors and use the alpha and this mc dsp bundle. I use nothing but kuassa eq on individual tracks but on busses I use the black knight or MP5. They do have a different flavor but i have never tried the frog on kicks or snares which im going to try now. 
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

altron

31 May 2015

These are my go-to compressors and I use them in almost any project. Love the ease of use, the sound and the UI design. Watched the video review. It's good but I wish the reviewer had taken the wool blanket out of his mouth before recording it. ;)
Trap is where music goes to die.

Fretless Fingers

31 May 2015

altron wrote:These are my go-to compressors and I use them in almost any project. Love the ease of use, the sound and the UI design. Watched the video review. It's good but I wish the reviewer had taken the wool blanket out of his mouth before recording it. ;)
Thanks. I have this wiered speech impediment I've carried since I was a child. Normally this does OK but that day it was rampant due to allergies effecting how I breath. I just didn't honestly have time to re-record so I was stuck with the results.

Next video (and from now on) I'm running latency and stress tests on both of my systems since they cover higher end and benchmarks.

I can run 73 C670's in a chain before getting computer to slow on my MBP with minimum spec (duo core 4GB of RAM)

challism

01 Jun 2015

Thanks for making this video.  I found it quite informative and helpful.  I can't believe McDSP don't have a proper video for their Comp REs.  Their shared video on the product page(s) is terrible.  As someone who is  a recent owner of these comps, I appreciate the video.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

gak

01 Jun 2015

I agree with that. And I'll add that when I was kinda wtf about their comps/eq's, some decent chaps chimed in with explanations. 

To review: The comps are stellar, but you have to know what they do. There is no "is all" for use, but mcdsp does NOT make it really clear :x  

For 49 bones, it was worth it in the EQ's just to get moo (which I just LOVE) and the 670 (which is more unique, but great for things like cymbals and hats) The FRG eq has FINALLY found a home (lss) with certain drum situations. Bottom line, 98 bucks for a lifetime of use and yes they are different from the SSL. And the futzbox is just an instant hit (will go into more detail if desired, but the sale is over VERY soon ) 

challism

01 Jun 2015

Compressors:  I agree, McDSP doesn't offer much explanation at all.  They should offer some advice and some direction.  Hell, even a decent video.  As a businessman, I strongly question their marketing (or lack thereof) of these fantastic compressors.  But I am so happy to get them and Futz at such a deep discount!  Thanks McDSP!!!

Futz: Once I got over my initial disappointment of what I imagined Futzbox was going to be, it really started to grow on me.  I love those sims and I love the filter.  I still do not like the lo-fi section at all.  And the distortion section isn't great, either. (A bit off topic, but I picked up Resampler, too, and that RE is completely amazing, I'm BLOWN AWAY!!  It is really what the lo-fi and distortion of Futzbox SHOULD have been).
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

• Information