One synth EP Challenge (No competition or prizes - just for fun)

Great fun, great prizes! Good luck!
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

15 Jan 2017

teddymcw wrote:Sup Tritone and crew?! Had a great time putting these together. Feedback is more than welcome. Thank you again!
Wow 10 tracks, that's a full album man. :o I don't know how you managed to do that in such a short amount of time. Great job!

I've listened to the whole album (once), so here's some comments based on that.

There's a smooth and gentle sound to the whole album, even with the drums. I like that. It's good that not everything in electronic music has to be over the top and in your face (even though I enjoy that too).
The whole album sounds very cohesive like you knew what you wanted this album to sound like from the start.
Great sounds coming from the Korg synths. No sound feels out of place. Drums fit together well too.

Depending on what you're going for with this album (only you know that) I might have some constructive criticism. As usual please take anyones opinion on any creative work with a grain of salt and run it through your own filter before taking it to heart.

For me it's regarding the mixing/arrangement. As a listener it's sometimes hard to know what to focus on in some songs. What's the important element? Sometimes I feel the pads and melodies (sometimes more than one melody at once) are equally prioritized which can make the listener unsure of what to listen to and the song can become a bit more ”backgroundy” as a result.
If you want something to stand out more or make something more ”catchy” I would try to decide the most important element at any moment and enhance that. Sometimes that means other things have to be turned down a bit. So basically what I'm saying is, you could guide the listener what to listen to with your mixing decisions.

As an example, your track ”Risse” at around 0:58 and forward. There's a lot of stuff going on there that could be considered important, melodies, vocals, pads. Right now the pad is the loudest instrument which makes the melody take more of background role.

The opposite happens in Smokin with Lydia at 1:01 and forward. Here the melody gets all the attention it deserves because there's nothing fighting over it to be heard. The bass does it's own thing and has a different frequency range all together so there's nothing to get in the way of the melody. I'm not saying you can only have a melody and bass and that's it, but I thought that was a clear example.

That's my thoughts/first impression of the album. Take it for what it's worth.

Good job on completing a nice sounding record :)
Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 15 Jan 2017, edited 1 time in total.

teddymcw

15 Jan 2017

Hey thanks for some awesome feedback! You've really hit the nail on the head with that articulation. I am well aware that I'm guilty of muddiness but your articulation helped pinpoint the obvious problem that my brain has managed to ignore which is what will enable me to address it strait on.

When this was announced I started composing a lot, then let those pieces sit for 4-6 weeks. These last two days I had some time and managed to 'finish' them and that seemed to work well in terms of keeping inspiration - burst to start, burst to finish. Now since posting this, I've already built a foundation for an EP using just Antidote :) Next time I'll try a third burst to finish mixing after letting ears recover.

Best

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

15 Jan 2017

teddymcw wrote:Hey thanks for some awesome feedback! You've really hit the nail on the head with that articulation. I am well aware that I'm guilty of muddiness but your articulation helped pinpoint the obvious problem that my brain has managed to ignore which is what will enable me to address it strait on.

When this was announced I started composing a lot, then let those pieces sit for 4-6 weeks. These last two days I had some time and managed to 'finish' them and that seemed to work well in terms of keeping inspiration - burst to start, burst to finish. Now since posting this, I've already built a foundation for an EP using just Antidote :) Next time I'll try a third burst to finish mixing after letting ears recover.

Best
Great, glad I could help.

So what's the deadline for your Antidote EP? :) Though it seems like you don't really need one to get music done in time.

siln

15 Jan 2017

Hi i ld like to join in , wanted to know Quad better so,
RP Quad , 14 march 17
3 or 4 tracks

@teddymcw : wonderful work

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

15 Jan 2017

siln wrote:Hi i ld like to join in , wanted to know Quad better so,
RP Quad , 14 march 17
3 or 4 tracks
Sure thing :)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

15 Jan 2017

Well here's my Chip64 EP.

It might become the shortest EP in this thread as it clocks in at only 7:25. I did write two other tracks but I decided not to include them as I felt these four tracks were stronger.

Maybe not the most creative song names but whatever, I ain't got time for that. I've got two other EPs to finish :)

Peter

15 Jan 2017

Hi! I originally uploaded my EP on SoundCloud but decided to move it to Bandcamp as I like to keep things current on SC. Sorry for the thread clutter! (Blamsoft Viking)

https://plansford.bandcamp.com/album/project-y
Last edited by Peter on 04 Mar 2017, edited 2 times in total.

modecca

15 Jan 2017

Peter wrote:Wherever you are, chasing the unknown, dissonance will follow.

Absolutely lovin the darker vibe. "Wherever you are " is freaking phenomenal!
🔗💥

Kuranes

15 Jan 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:Well here's my Chip64 EP.

It might become the shortest EP in this thread as it clocks in at only 7:25. I did write two other tracks but I decided not to include them as I felt these four tracks were stronger.

Maybe not the most creative song names but whatever, I ain't got time for that. I've got two other EPs to finish :)
Outstanding, Tritone! There's no more appropriate way to describe that EP. Once more you do not just prove your impressive talent for creating exciting arrangements, you also once more manage to create as beautiful as unique melodies and harmonies, that still echo in the listeners ears, when the tracks are over.

While the 3 first songs prove that you already have all you'll need to become a well respected composer in the gamer-score-buisiness, the fourth track truly is nothing less than epic (in the comments-section of that track I gave an idea, how epic this track really is)!

You really should consider to take your chance and get into that business. Because every track of your EP instantly created visions of scenes of games, that yet have to be developed.
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.

https://soundcloud.com/daniel-del-vecchio

4filegate

15 Jan 2017

Peter wrote:dissonance will follow.
Wow, that sounds so great talented electronic musician modular-PUNK People Under New Knowledge

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

16 Jan 2017

Peter wrote:Wherever you are, chasing the unknown, dissonance will follow.
Sounds awesome!

Very dark and hypnotic.

I don't know what else to write. I just know that what I'm hearing is great and that's enough for me. No need to analyze it.

Great work!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

16 Jan 2017

Kuranes wrote:Outstanding, Tritone! There's no more appropriate way to describe that EP. Once more you do not just prove your impressive talent for creating exciting arrangements, you also once more manage to create as beautiful as unique melodies and harmonies, that still echo in the listeners ears, when the tracks are over.

While the 3 first songs prove that you already have all you'll need to become a well respected composer in the gamer-score-buisiness, the fourth track truly is nothing less than epic (in the comments-section of that track I gave an idea, how epic this track really is)!

You really should consider to take your chance and get into that business. Because every track of your EP instantly created visions of scenes of games, that yet have to be developed.
Thanks, really appreciate that.
Using only chip sounds, melodies and arrangement is basically all you have working with.

I have written music for one game before (in 2013) so I've tried it. I liked it and I'd like to do more of game music in the future.
Here's a link to the game (it's free) and the downloadable soundtrack if you wanna check it out.
http://jimmakesgames.com/mooned/

I do have another game that I'm gonna write music for, but I'll have to wait for the game developer to get further into the project before I can continue writing for it.
This EP was good practise :)

Peter

16 Jan 2017

modecca wrote:Absolutely lovin the darker vibe. "Wherever you are " is freaking phenomenal!
TritoneAddiction wrote:Sounds awesome!

Very dark and hypnotic.
Thanks for the feedback!
4filegate wrote:Wow, that sounds so great talented electronic musician modular-PUNK People Under New Knowledge
Good one! :D Thanks!

Two of the tracks were produced this weekend so the mixes are a little hot. I wanted to be done with it this weekend though and I was pretty burnt out upon posting - didn't feel like providing commentary at the time. :oops: The aim was to do techno ("naturally" minimal) tracks with a dark vibe while exploring dissonance and trying some new RE's for the first time: PSQ (Wherever You Are), Korde (Chasing The Unknown), Devastor (all tracks) and I did some short, transitional drum fills with A-List Studio Drummer (all tracks). This was supposed to be about Viking, and it was the only synth I used, but exploring some new RE's in the process made it a well-rounded experience that will influence my journey. Thanks Tritone!

teddymcw

17 Jan 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
teddymcw wrote:Hey thanks for some awesome feedback! You've really hit the nail on the head with that articulation. I am well aware that I'm guilty of muddiness but your articulation helped pinpoint the obvious problem that my brain has managed to ignore which is what will enable me to address it strait on.

Best
Great, glad I could help.

So what's the deadline for your Antidote EP? :) Though it seems like you don't really need one to get music done in time.

I'll choose Feb 24th for Antidote since no one is releasing that particular week. Already have most of orchestration so the focus will be on more clarity. Everyone has been posting such quality interesting work, I look forward to each release!

TheGodOfRainbows

18 Jan 2017

OMG This thread is hot. There is good music being made here. I'm inspired. Awesome work so far everyone. I work much more slowly, so mine will be in at the 11'th hour as always. Keep it going everyone. I've never been so busy with music because of this thread. It's making me realize I may be spending way too much time agonizing over each of my tracks instead of just letting them go and uploading them, and calling them "finished".

modecca

20 Jan 2017

TheGodOfRainbows wrote: It's making me realize I may be spending way too much time agonizing over each of my tracks instead of just letting them go and uploading them, and calling them "finished".
I went through the same thing.Ever since this project,I have been setting time limits on how long I am allowed to work on a song. If i throw a song together in 3 hours starting from scratch then 'remix' it, taking the best trashing what doesn't fit and adding some new stuff and then rearranging for another 3 hours, I usually have something i'm happy with. Breaking the 6 hours maximum up, so it doesn't take up a whole day, definitely helps me not get too focused on any one area and gives me time to do non music stuff (sanity! :shock: ).

-too much time spent on a song: doesnt make it better and i usually despise it when its completed because how it prevented me from doing other stuff.

-too little: sounds and feels cheap and unrefined.
🔗💥

ZombieFightsShark

20 Jan 2017

I don't know if I'm going to have time to get in on this, but just to make it fun I'll throw a freebie cause I absolutely LOVE this kind of thing. Composing with limitations is such a great exercise and always yields unexpected results.

If you guys are interested I'll give away 3 copies of my entire to catalog to the top 3 "winners". I'm not sure how they'll be decided but if any of you guys are interested I'm happy to contribute.

If it ain't that kind of party my feelings won't be hurt.

Catalog is here: ZombieFightsShark.com

Can't wait to check out some tunes as soon as I get out of work.
Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

21 Jan 2017

ZombieFightsShark wrote:I don't know if I'm going to have time to get in on this, but just to make it fun I'll throw a freebie cause I absolutely LOVE this kind of thing. Composing with limitations is such a great exercise and always yields unexpected results.

If you guys are interested I'll give away 3 copies of my entire to catalog to the top 3 "winners". I'm not sure how they'll be decided but if any of you guys are interested I'm happy to contribute.

Cheers!
That's very generous of you, but I'd rather not turn this thread into a competition since it would mean coming up with more rules and voting systems and stuff like that. I'm not really interested in moderating that kind of thing. I don't want to sound like an ungreatful asshole but I feel like I have to be honest.

You could always make a seperate thread for it if you want. But at the moment I feel like this thread will become long as it is. Having a thread that says "no competition or prizes" while at the same time include a competition with prizes will probably lead to a pretty messy thread. I'd like to keep this thread as clean as possible with only one topic.

Hope you understand and that no feelings are hurt.

ZombieFightsShark

21 Jan 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
ZombieFightsShark wrote:I don't know if I'm going to have time to get in on this, but just to make it fun I'll throw a freebie cause I absolutely LOVE this kind of thing. Composing with limitations is such a great exercise and always yields unexpected results.

Cheers!
That's very generous of you, but I'd rather not turn this thread into a competition since it would mean coming up with more rules and voting systems and stuff like that. I'm not really interested in moderating that kind of thing. I don't want to sound like an ungreatful asshole but I feel like I have to be honest.

You could always make a seperate thread for it if you want. But at the moment I feel like this thread will become long as it is. Having a thread that says "no competition or prizes" while at the same time include a competition with prizes will probably lead to a pretty messy thread. I'd like to keep this thread as clean as possible with only one topic.

No problem, Just a thought.
Still looking forward to some good tunes. [emoji3]

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

21 Jan 2017

ZombieFightsShark wrote:
TritoneAddiction wrote:

Cheers!

No problem, Just a thought.
Still looking forward to some good tunes. [emoji3]
Cool.

You should still join us in the challenge though :) It'll be fun.
Remember you set your own deadline. So the old "I don't have the time" doesn't work here. We all know that's just a bad excuse. ;)

ZombieFightsShark

21 Jan 2017

Fair point. I might be able to get something done by June.

EDIT:

I'll make it official.

RE: AMMO
Deadline: June 1

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

21 Jan 2017

ZombieFightsShark wrote:Fair point. I might be able to get something done by June.

EDIT:

I'll make it official.

RE: AMMO
Deadline: June 1
Awesome!

ZombieFightsShark

21 Jan 2017

modecca wrote:Here is my Nostromo 3 song ep .

Nice work! That is some slippery, bouncy, funky goodness.

modecca

23 Jan 2017

ZombieFightsShark wrote:
modecca wrote:Here is my Nostromo 3 song ep .
Nice work! That is some slippery, bouncy, funky goodness.

Thanks! Make sure you listen to the 4th track. I think it obliterates the other 3 and represents how i currently make music.
🔗💥

artotaku

29 Jan 2017

Here is the release of my EP for the One Synth EP challenge.
Songs 1 to 3 are 100 % Antidote (except FX).

As I had some time left I decided to make a medley of all tunes but with more punchy trance style drums. All synths sounds but drums are Antidote.

• Information