How much you hate your own music?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
pedrocaetanos

12 Jan 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:
damasio wrote:
jonheal wrote:
damasio wrote:The most disappointing aspect of the whole music production game is uploading a track to soundcloud and dealing with the harsh reality that nobody takes the time to listen to it. The reality is that there is an oversupply of music and musicians.
As much as any of us might want to claim that we are "doing it for ourselves" or "doing it for the art of it," you are absolutely correct: the lack of positive reinforcement and appreciation from others for our work is a genuine disappointment, no doubt about it.

It's still a harsh realization that some tracks took weeks of work and resulted in maybe 10 listens on soundcloud. If i post a tweet i get at least 100x more impressions (and exposure), with zero effort and skill. I really can't find a rational argument to make music, but i also can't find the motivation to stop making music. So i keep on making music against the current, what an inspiring tragedy.
It's definitely harder than it used to be. Like I used to upload onto Soundclick, back in the MySpace days. And at the time, it was quite a rarity for someone to be doing fully produced metal tracks in their bedrooms. It actually kinda launched my career. Now, it's so much harder to stand out, not least because the quality of sounds and plugins means that it's not such a big deal for someone to sound good from their room. But I guess it just pushes you to try that little bit harder to innovate or do something that stands out, or else just be happy to be part of a large community of skilled musicians. But I totally feel you; as much as I do music for myself, it is nice to know others are enjoying it too.
Supposedly, art without tragedy is too bland, so maybe we are making better music dur to that... but less people listen to it! ;)

Anyway, on my part, I mostly hate not having done more music as I should/wanted...
Based on a true story. No Musical Instruments Were Harmed in the Making of This Forum Post. | :arrow: SoundCloud set | :reason: :record: :recycle: :reload: :refillpacker: :refill: :re: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

• Information