How much you hate your own music?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
deepndark

09 Jan 2017

artotaku wrote:When I start a new track, I love it until I start with the arrangement.
After I´ve finished it I hate it and won´t listen to it for a longer time.
Occasionally, when I listen to it after months or years I say to myself: what a genius I was at that time :puf_bigsmile:
Haha, so true in my case too. :puf_bigsmile:
Edit, maybe we do something wrong at the arrangement part?

Jivethompson

09 Jan 2017

Interesting question :)

I used to think my music was really crappy (though never hated it) but i'm finally getting the hang of it, especially mix-wise. I used to dislike my music because the mix was bad, but now i take it way more lightly and always see it as a learning process. Some songs succeed and others are utter flops after weeks of work. Also, i got no musical background whatsoever so sometimes this thought used to creep up in my head: "you don't know anything, you don't have talent and your music sucks". But i always pushed through because it is so much fun. And now i absolutely love some of my songs :D :D

Jivethompson

09 Jan 2017

artotaku wrote:When I start a new track, I love it until I start with the arrangement.
Occasionally, when I listen to it after months or years I say to myself: what a genius I was at that time :puf_bigsmile:
I can totally relate!!! :lol:

damasio

09 Jan 2017

The most disappointing aspect of the whole music production game is uploading a track to soundcloud and dealing with the harsh reality that nobody takes the time to listen to it. The reality is that there is an oversupply of music and musicians.

artotaku

09 Jan 2017

deepndark wrote:
Haha, so true in my case too. :puf_bigsmile:
Edit, maybe we do something wrong at the arrangement part?
Well, in arrangement phase you listen to parts of the songs very often, which can get quite annoying. Best is to stop then and take a break. Or getting faster with arrangement.

Arrangement can be tough, though, it´s not that easy to make a track interesting, tell a story, building tension and release. Of course there are formulas that work well but don´t we want to create something completely new and never heard before with each song :D

jonheal

09 Jan 2017

damasio wrote:The most disappointing aspect of the whole music production game is uploading a track to soundcloud and dealing with the harsh reality that nobody takes the time to listen to it. The reality is that there is an oversupply of music and musicians.
As much as any of us might want to claim that we are "doing it for ourselves" or "doing it for the art of it," you are absolutely correct: the lack of positive reinforcement and appreciation from others for our work is a genuine disappointment, no doubt about it.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

damasio

09 Jan 2017

jonheal wrote:
damasio wrote:The most disappointing aspect of the whole music production game is uploading a track to soundcloud and dealing with the harsh reality that nobody takes the time to listen to it. The reality is that there is an oversupply of music and musicians.
As much as any of us might want to claim that we are "doing it for ourselves" or "doing it for the art of it," you are absolutely correct: the lack of positive reinforcement and appreciation from others for our work is a genuine disappointment, no doubt about it.

It's still a harsh realization that some tracks took weeks of work and resulted in maybe 10 listens on soundcloud. If i post a tweet i get at least 100x more impressions (and exposure), with zero effort and skill. I really can't find a rational argument to make music, but i also can't find the motivation to stop making music. So i keep on making music against the current, what an inspiring tragedy.

PSoames

09 Jan 2017

That's my journey, but with one added stop; I listen to everyone's else music and question, "why do I bother!", but as a few others have already stated - it's the journey that's the fun part; if it was only about listening to music, I'd put the radio on.

plaamook

09 Jan 2017

artotaku wrote:Well, in arrangement phase you listen to parts of the songs very often, which can get quite annoying. Best is to stop then and take a break. Or getting faster with arrangement.
Yeah, speed is important but you end up wrecking songs early on trying to get faster with arranging. The only way to get faster is to practice. There are tracks that had quite good elements in em that I laboured over for so long that even years later I can't stand to play em or to work more on them. Or to even get the good elements out of em and port em over to other tracks.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

chimp_spanner

10 Jan 2017

damasio wrote:
jonheal wrote:

It's still a harsh realization that some tracks took weeks of work and resulted in maybe 10 listens on soundcloud. If i post a tweet i get at least 100x more impressions (and exposure), with zero effort and skill. I really can't find a rational argument to make music, but i also can't find the motivation to stop making music. So i keep on making music against the current, what an inspiring tragedy.
It's definitely harder than it used to be. Like I used to upload onto Soundclick, back in the MySpace days. And at the time, it was quite a rarity for someone to be doing fully produced metal tracks in their bedrooms. It actually kinda launched my career. Now, it's so much harder to stand out, not least because the quality of sounds and plugins means that it's not such a big deal for someone to sound good from their room. But I guess it just pushes you to try that little bit harder to innovate or do something that stands out, or else just be happy to be part of a large community of skilled musicians. But I totally feel you; as much as I do music for myself, it is nice to know others are enjoying it too.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

10 Jan 2017

I generally like my own music, I think I'm a very strong, if not prolific, lyricist, and occasionally even my singing is passable ;) . I think I pretty good at arranging, generally, but I still can't mix or master for shit despite the wealth of tutorials, eqing and comping, and things stuck on the wall. So I do what I do and enjoy the bit I love, I've given up worrying about the part of the process I'm no good at, even when SoundCloud manages to make it sound twice as bad :lol:

4filegate

10 Jan 2017

Don: You play C, F and G?
Jon Burroughs: Yeah.
Don: You're in.

Peter

10 Jan 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:But I guess it just pushes you to try that little bit harder to innovate or do something that stands out...
Yeah exactly.

damasio

10 Jan 2017

I don't think that you can stand out by simply making good tracks anymore. You have to play with social media follow to unfollow weak ties bs.

I'm lucky enough to have experienced some success (3 vinyl releases and some festival gigs) in the previous decade. Back when a juno 60 an mpc2000xl and a good attitude could impress people :). It was so simple. I just sent some demos to a couple of label owners i knew from the scene and up went my music career. Damn i miss those days. I remember the myspace days being MUCH better for artists.

Besides the perils of standing out in the crowd, the shelf life of artists is drastically cut back as well. Big names can become oblivious in a wink. Now is a great time for hobbyists, but it's close to hopeless for aspiring artists that want to launch a career.

Peter

10 Jan 2017

damasio wrote:Besides the perils of standing out in the crowd, the shelf life of artists is drastically cut back as well. Big names can become oblivious in a wink.
Big names also evolve with the music scene instead of producing the same old tunes and they stay relevant. Average age of top 100 DJ's is around 38 I recently read somewhere. That says a lot despite the EDM invasion brought on by the bedroom producing youngins. Let there be oversaturation. I think people who really work at what they do will stick out and continue to stick out. Full time job still required though because music won't pay the bills. :D

4filegate

10 Jan 2017

Peter wrote:
damasio wrote:Besides the perils of standing out in the crowd, the shelf life of artists is drastically cut back as well. Big names can become oblivious in a wink.
Big names also evolve with the music scene instead of producing the same old tunes and they stay relevant. Average age of top 100 DJ's is around 38 I recently read somewhere. That says a lot despite the EDM invasion brought on by the bedroom producing youngins. Let there be oversaturation. I think people who really work at what they do will stick out and continue to stick out. Full time job still required though because music won't pay the bills. :D
generally these businesses have no employees other than the self-employed owners, or these are enterprises e.g. see Blue Man Group
Additionally the organizer is guilty for bodily injury now ,I refuse to be responsible for too loud' - That, unfortunately, is how the Treaty is worded.

jappe

10 Jan 2017

It's disappointing when reality doesn't meet expectations. I think the best things for me personally to deal with that is to:
* Lower expectations
* Find additional drivers: I'm happy when I make music and happy when I complete a song.(I even have a micro release party when I complete a song - I light a sparkler :puf_smile: )
* The music I create now can be a heritage for my kids and grand grand grand grand kids to explore.
* If I keep on making music,eventually I will perhaps make a song with the perfect formula.
* When I get bored,I can always start focusing on an entirely different genre or concept.

damasio

11 Jan 2017

jappe wrote:
It's disappointing when reality doesn't meet expectations. I think the best things for me personally to deal with that is to:
* Lower expectations
* Find additional drivers: I'm happy when I make music and happy when I complete a song.(I even have a micro release party when I complete a song - I light a sparkler :puf_smile: )
* The music I create now can be a heritage for my kids and grand grand grand grand kids to explore.
* If I keep on making music,eventually I will perhaps make a song with the perfect formula.
* When I get bored,I can always start focusing on an entirely different genre or concept.
Great attitude
It reminds of ancient Greek wisdom literature.
Wonderful share, thanks.

C//AZM

12 Jan 2017

I'm my own worst critic. But I guess I'm also my own best fan when not paying attention.
About two years ago I was getting a lift from one of my son's friends who is steeped in the old school underground Detroit hiphop scene. He's playing old Goon Squad songs and Detroit's Most Wanted...anyway, this song comes on and I was blown away by the track. I asked him who the artist was and he said a name I had never heard before.

I could tell it was mixed by a Detroit engineer...probably. I thought the mix was near perfect and the sounds well chosen...The first song, the second one...by the third song I was surprised that I could easily hum along with the bass line, the drums..."Hey wait, that's my old snare, that's my detuned piano sound".
Hey! That's ME!!

I had done the tracks for an artist named Bob Ske right before he was locked up in 1989 and I thought it all had disappeared. Turns out this was his brother who had rapped to six of the tracks I created for his brother and released them.
The thing is, I really loved the music, the string counterpoint, the drums and percussion the entire thing was smack dab in the center of my personal taste and I had completely forgotten about those sessions. So I was given a completely unexpected glimpse into my own music from an outsider's perspective and actually passed my own test.

Chizmata

12 Jan 2017

C//AZM wrote:I'm my own worst critic. But I guess I'm also my own best fan when not paying attention.
About two years ago I was getting a lift from one of my son's friends who is steeped in the old school underground Detroit hiphop scene. He's playing old Goon Squad songs and Detroit's Most Wanted...anyway, this song comes on and I was blown away by the track. I asked him who the artist was and he said a name I had never heard before.

I could tell it was mixed by a Detroit engineer...probably. I thought the mix was near perfect and the sounds well chosen...The first song, the second one...by the third song I was surprised that I could easily hum along with the bass line, the drums..."Hey wait, that's my old snare, that's my detuned piano sound".
Hey! That's ME!!

I had done the tracks for an artist named Bob Ske right before he was locked up in 1989 and I thought it all had disappeared. Turns out this was his brother who had rapped to six of the tracks I created for his brother and released them.
The thing is, I really loved the music, the string counterpoint, the drums and percussion the entire thing was smack dab in the center of my personal taste and I had completely forgotten about those sessions. So I was given a completely unexpected glimpse into my own music from an outsider's perspective and actually passed my own test.
lol i always wish i could listen to my music with the ears o f a stranger

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

12 Jan 2017

Chizmata wrote:lol i always wish i could listen to my music with the ears o f a stranger
Me too.

Or at least just being able to hear the finished song without hearing it through the process of making it. That would be cool too, to listen to your finished track with fresh ears, even if you know it's your own song.

Chizmata

12 Jan 2017

TritoneAddiction wrote:
Chizmata wrote:lol i always wish i could listen to my music with the ears o f a stranger
Me too.

Or at least just being able to hear the finished song without hearing it through the process of making it. That would be cool too, to listen to your finished track with fresh ears, even if you know it's your own song.
yup thats what i mean. as if you never heard it before

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

12 Jan 2017

Chizmata wrote:
TritoneAddiction wrote:
Me too.

yup thats what i mean. as if you never heard it before
Oh ok, I thought you were talking about not even knowing you made the song when you heard it, like with C//AZMs story.
Small difference. Doesn't matter though. Either way would be cool.

C//AZM

12 Jan 2017

yes that was a blast. The problem was still it was my taste and my younger self's taste. But it's as close as I'll ever get.

pedrocaetanos

12 Jan 2017

jonheal wrote:I am amazed that so many people on this forum are multilingual. It is a great accomplishment to be able to speak more than one language. I have great respect for multi-lingual folks. I speak and write only English.
But you are multi-lingual. Music is a language! :)
Based on a true story. No Musical Instruments Were Harmed in the Making of This Forum Post. | :arrow: SoundCloud set | :reason: :record: :recycle: :reload: :refillpacker: :refill: :re: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

• Information