Do you create music sitting or standing up?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
stratatonic

29 Nov 2016

What is your preferred method of writing music?
Do you create music sitting or standing up?
(Perhaps you kneel.)

A couple of years ago, I had my laptop on a coffee table, and I sat cross legged for maybe six months. This included guitar work, keyboards and mixing.

Recently, I started to do the initial creating standing up. I have my keyboard and laptop high, and my desktop and smaller midi controller low. The mixing is done sitting at the desktop (though I do tend to roam a bit listening to the results). Detailed MIDI adjustments I sit down as well.

Anyways, I like standing up during the initial creating process.

vanKloot

29 Nov 2016

A couple years ago I finally bought myself a motorized desk so that I can sit/stand any time I feel the need. Frankly I forget I can do this way too often and don't stand as much as I should, but I like the idea of seeing which posture is most conducive to the musical process. I definitely found that standing while I play the Pads on my Ableton Push, seemed to make a really big difference in my getting into the groove.

aisling

29 Nov 2016

I mix it up between both. I play guitar primarily so "naturally" I stand in that regard (to engage pedals), but with Reason production, and all computer activities, I use an exercise ball that I sit on, It gives a little bounce, and lets me stretch out over it when i need to.....IMHO anybody sitting for over a hour at a time, should consider switching out for an exercise ball to offset the negative effects of being static and sedentary for long periods of time.
I'd love to try out an all-out standing composition and production rig, but have been to lazy to take the step and deal with the dreaded time investment required in my space to manifest it.

EnochLight

29 Nov 2016

I have a standing workstation at my full time 9-5 job, so the moment I get into my studio - I plant my ass on my workstation chair! ;) :lol: :mrgreen: That said, I stand to record vocals. I usually play my keys, pads, bass and guitar sitting down, though.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

greenson

29 Nov 2016

As I often an slightly inebriated when making music, I like to stand and wiggle around a bit. Looking at buying an adjustable standing desk, like the guy above mentions he has in his job. It will also make it much easier so I can play around with Reason settings while I have a guitar strapped to me (standing up)

vanKloot

29 Nov 2016

FYI, I bought my desk from https://www.ergodepot.com/. It was around a grand after adding accessories and whatnot, but was a very long term investment in my health and comfort.

deepndark

30 Nov 2016

I sit and mix, - anyhow I've heard how recording vocals by standing up can give you better results. If you stand up and sing, your lungs work betterly. Or something like that.

Data_Shrine

30 Nov 2016

I used to sit all the time but now it,s a mix of both. If i use my axiom or dx7 i stand up for sure.

ejanuska

30 Nov 2016

It's kind of like sitting, but more like almost laying down. Shall I call it a "modified slouch"?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

30 Nov 2016

I've heard this is what the top producers are using.

stratatonic

30 Nov 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote:I've heard this is what the top producers are using.

http s:/ /www .youtube. com/watch?v=E9_amg-Aos4
lol...DO NOT drink coffee producing with that...

stratatonic

30 Nov 2016

vanKloot wrote: I like the idea of seeing which posture is most conducive to the musical process. I definitely found that standing while I play the Pads on my Ableton Push, seemed to make a really big difference in my getting into the groove.
Yeah! If you're really grooving, you must be doing it right...
vanKloot wrote:A couple years ago I finally bought myself a motorized desk so that I can sit/stand any time I feel the need. Frankly I forget I can do this way too often and don't stand as much as I should
How long does it take to shift the desk from sitting to standing mode?

stratatonic

30 Nov 2016

aisling wrote:I use an exercise ball that I sit on, It gives a little bounce, and lets me stretch out over it when i need to.....IMHO anybody sitting for over a hour at a time, should consider switching out for an exercise ball to offset the negative effects of being static and sedentary for long periods of time.
Yeah, I think folks sit way too much. I think I may hint to someone to get me one of these for Xmas...if it doesn't work out at the computer, I can always try to incorporate it somehow into my exercise routine...

aisling

30 Nov 2016

stratatonic wrote:
aisling wrote:I use an exercise ball that I sit on, It gives a little bounce, and lets me stretch out over it when i need to.....IMHO anybody sitting for over a hour at a time, should consider switching out for an exercise ball to offset the negative effects of being static and sedentary for long periods of time.
Yeah, I think folks sit way too much. I think I may hint to someone to get me one of these for Xmas...if it doesn't work out at the computer, I can always try to incorporate it somehow into my exercise routine...
I'm 5'11 and I use a 75cm ball. The ball manufacturer's recommend 65cm for my height, but they aren't factoring that I'm using it to sit.

Ostermilk

01 Dec 2016

I'll usually sit if I'm working out a substantial movement, if it's something more fluid that just involves a bit of tinkling around I'm happy to stand.

jappe

01 Dec 2016

vanKloot wrote:A couple years ago I finally bought myself a motorized desk so that I can sit/stand any time I feel the need. Frankly I forget I can do this way too often and don't stand as much as I should, but I like the idea of seeing which posture is most conducive to the musical process. I definitely found that standing while I play the Pads on my Ableton Push, seemed to make a really big difference in my getting into the groove.
I've had a motorized desk(IKEA) as well for some years... amazing quality. It can carry a lot of weight from monitors & monitors and the motor doesn't struggle at all.

Yonatan

01 Dec 2016

Mostly standing up when recording/composing, but sitting when mixing.

stratatonic

02 Dec 2016

EnochLight wrote:I have a standing workstation at my full time 9-5 job, so the moment I get into my studio - I plant my ass on my workstation chair! ;) :lol: :mrgreen:
Yeah, there's that,right? When you've had a long day and you're wiped out, planting is the thing to do... :)

stratatonic

02 Dec 2016

aisling wrote:
stratatonic wrote:
I'm 5'11 and I use a 75cm ball. The ball manufacturer's recommend 65cm for my height, but they aren't factoring that I'm using it to sit.
Yeah, thanks - good point! Nothing like getting the ball, sitting on it and staring up the desk with your wrists above your head. :mrgreen:

stratatonic

02 Dec 2016

Ostermilk wrote:I'll usually sit if I'm working out a substantial movement, if it's something more fluid that just involves a bit of tinkling around I'm happy to stand.
:clap: I know exactly what you did there :puf_bigsmile:

vanKloot

03 Dec 2016

stratatonic wrote:
vanKloot wrote:A couple years ago I finally bought myself a motorized desk so that I can sit/stand any time I feel the need. Frankly I forget I can do this way too often and don't stand as much as I should
Just a few seconds. In fact I'll time it right now...

13 seconds start to finish, sit to stand or vice versa.

Aquila

03 Dec 2016

Alas I'm no trained musician, and I only know a small bit of theory, so I'm a sitty downy kinda person so I can think about what I'm writing rather than performing.

stratatonic

04 Dec 2016

vanKloot wrote:
stratatonic wrote:
Just a few seconds. In fact I'll time it right now...

13 seconds start to finish, sit to stand or vice versa.
I don't use a computer much at work, but we do have to input data/check mail etc. We did try to get a adjustable system for us, like other depts, but they felt we didn't do enough computer work to justify the expense. Fair enough, when I'm on the computer at work, I just swing the monitor higher, throw a small box that's always around underneath the keyboard, and everything is at standing height - a couple of seconds. No need to adjust the whole desk higher - though if you had tons of paperwork as well, it probably would not work too well.

For DAW stuff, it could work fine for anyone thinking of trying that out on the cheap.

jappe wrote:I've had a motorized desk(IKEA) as well for some years... amazing quality. It can carry a lot of weight from monitors & monitors and the motor doesn't struggle at all.
Looks good, although the angle of neck that that guy in the vid is looking at his laptop, would cripple me ... :(

emmawilli

10 Nov 2020

vanKloot wrote:
29 Nov 2016
FYI, I bought my desk from https://www.ergodepot.com/. It was around a grand after adding accessories and whatnot, but was a very long term investment in my health and comfort.
Thanks, I was also looking for a desk for home use. Due to covid-19, I am working from home and I need a desk and chair. I have seen onFlexispot coupons. They are offering discounts with free shipping Is there any discount available? :roll: :roll:

joeyluck

27 Mar 2021

I just switched from a kneeling chair to a ball. The kneeling chair was great, but created problems for using my sustain and expression pedals, since my feet end up behind me lol.

Now using this (Vivora Luno, standard size/felt for $59). So far it's been really great! Comes with a washable cover and looks better than a shiny yoga ball.

Vivora Luno.jpg
Vivora Luno.jpg (23.06 KiB) Viewed 2115 times

• Information