[SOLVED - just .ZIP then upload] Allow song file uploads?

List your suggestions here for the reasontalk.com website (not Reason feature requests)!
Forum rules
Keep in mind that this forum is for Reasontalk.com suggestions, and not for support on your Reason Studios software.
HepCat

30 Nov 2016

selig wrote:Any forum member is welcome so start their own hosting service for Reason song files - just share a post here so everyone knows where it is!

Oops slight misunderstanding. I meant, hosting low bit mp3s and wavs as attachments on this web forum, not massive Reason files (FAO Propellerheads: regarding Reason files on Allihoopa, would it help to just strip all samples and REs and then allow hosting Reason files?).

Although, l do actually own a single-word Reason domain. Nothing to do with Propellerheads Reason though. Actually l've been struggling to attach content to it.

Galaxy

30 Nov 2016

You can also create a Dropbox account and link to your mp3s there. That is if you want ppl to download them.

HepCat

01 Dec 2016

Galaxy wrote:You can also create a Dropbox account and link to your mp3s there. That is if you want ppl to download them.
Hi there, my issues with 3rd party hosting are:
- They might require sign up, potentially decimating the number of views and inconveniencing any specifically intended recipient
- The hosting site might send malware via sponsored ads and popups / popunders
- The added embarrassment of not actually being 100% sure whether you're unintentionally sending a link that could result in opportunistic malware being sent by the hosting site - as the uploader, you're asking people to take a chance on you

Btw l use picosong.com - so far it's been a good site. Allows uploading mp3s or wavs without signup. Ad-free streaming. However, Firefox blocks a popup when you try to download the upload. Even then you can avoid the popup and right click to proceed with download.

Still though, in-line hosting for <10Mb files on this site would be better. Soundcloud is ideal for hosting within a forum thread ... but in case there's a multitude who like me don't do Soundcloud, inline hosting would be nice.

Why not Soundcloud? Well, they limit engagement with the artist*, inasmuch as the artist reduces his profile to one of a herd, just as the listener is one of a herd. Too disociative for me. And then there's the Like count playing tyrant over me. Notice how nothing in this list of grievances has touched on my music and its attendant mysteries. It all becomes very meta. I'm daunted with the prospect of being stillborn on Soundcloud - it'll be over before it even begins, and the more effort l put in, the more l enshrine the status quo of my grievances (yep, l hear some damn fine music on Soundcloud. Sadly, songs come n go, links disappear, the artist gives no context to the song, unlike if he had his own site or if it was on a CD with cardboard insert). Not to mention the invasion of privacy, all part of the sheep branding process. What could possibly go wrong with trusting a third party?

I'd prefer a more equitable platform, at least in my fledgeling state. But this is off-topic, l'm talking about presenting songs on a forum, not about striking out as an artist, though there is some overlap.

* "WOW! I like this part, really creative" "Thanks that was my SDGDFG3 VSTi RE JS plugin" doesn't count as interaction to me. It's superficial, and l've lost count how many times l've read that on a song and you go to that time cursor and there's nothing to speak of. It's banal. /RANT
Last edited by HepCat on 01 Dec 2016, edited 2 times in total.

Galaxy

01 Dec 2016

Interesting perspective you got there ;)

Seriously, some points are valid, but DropBox has become somewhat of a norm, and SoundCloud too. No pop ups or ads, they're somewhat standard today.

Please do go on about your views/plays/herd opinion?

HepCat

01 Dec 2016

Galaxy wrote: Please do go on about your views/plays/herd opinion?
Hi i fleshed out my views with 2 edits since your reply :D unsure what they were but one was highlighted in a diff. colour, l think that's as much as l can think of saying, l really scraped the barrel.

QVprod

01 Dec 2016

HepCat wrote:
Galaxy wrote:You can also create a Dropbox account and link to your mp3s there. That is if you want ppl to download them.
Hi there, my issues with 3rd party hosting are:
- They might require sign up, potentially decimating the number of views and inconveniencing any specifically intended recipient
- The added embarrassment of not actually being 100% sure whether you're unintentionally sending a link that could result in opportunistic malware being sent by the hosting site - as the uploader, you're asking people to take a chance on you
A lot of fears there. Literally none of those are issues with dropbox or other official cloud storage (google drive, gobbler...etc) These are storage/sharing services used to share files professionally. There is no malware being sent unless you upload it yourself and even so, many of these services scan for viruses anyway. It doesn't decimate views because it stays in storage as long as you keep it there and recipients don't need to signup to access a file. You just send a download link to the file.

However, since you just want to host mp3, Allihoopa (when you upgrade from 6.5) and SoundCloud cover this and allow downloads. Note that anything you upload to Allihoopa and share publicly becomes royalty free, but some people don't mind that. I don't understand where this "herd" thing comes in as obviously no music sharing site will promote you as well as your own website so the lack of individuality of profiles (there is some customization of a SC profile actually) is a non issue. Also, there is plenty of engagement with the artist since you can leave comments on a song. Most people use SC in conjunction with their own website, not instead of it. In any case, marketing yourself yourself as an artist is on you the artist and not the website music is uploaded to. And what privacy invasion? There's no place to put private information.

HepCat

01 Dec 2016

HepCat wrote: Hi there, my issues with 3rd party hosting are:
QVprod wrote: A lot of fears there. Literally none of those are issues with dropbox or other official cloud storage (google drive, gobbler...etc) These are storage/sharing services used to share files professionally.
And they all require a heap of info at sign up and l'm not sure why they want to be so nice as to host your files anyway. Perhaps it's to dovetail more commercial solutions for higher volume users? Or perhaps there are nefarious sites (not saying any of those you listed) surreptitiously selling data to gangsters who seem to be making hella money somehow. Also, who knows how a legit filesharing site will end up? Look at S**rcef*rge - it's reputation got tarnished after some scandals. All l can say is, l don't know.

What if l upload a sample, or a clip just to illustrate a point in a thread. It helps readers immensely. Turns out it had something [falsely] deemed copyright that some robot picked up. I don't want trouble.

Inline solutions are better - they are specific to your audience, you're already signed in, no ads that aren't already there, no new personal data sharing upon signup, no b/s.

The inline solution trumps all from the user's POV. That is, allow small file hosting within the thread. Sadly, it's probably impossible because this is a private forum, not part of Propellerheads, hence no big financing (?).

In anticipation of the type of replies that always come (and ppl seem to have already thrown at each other which seems a bit cruel to me): No, l don't wish to make my own Propellerheads Reason website and host my own files there, nor does anyone else. NO i have not made a demand - l am just making a suggestion that might help you, that was my only intention :)

QVprod wrote: There is no malware being sent unless you upload it yourself
If you mean me personally then no, l have expressly stated a desire to shield myself and others from malware. Peace :)

QVprod wrote: It doesn't decimate views because it stays in storage as long as you keep it there and recipients don't need to signup to access a file. You just send a download link to the file.
Good point there, with Dropbox at least, the recipients don't need to sign up.

QVprod wrote: However, since you just want to host mp3, Allihoopa (when you upgrade from 6.5) and SoundCloud cover this and allow downloads. Note that anything you upload to Allihoopa and share publicly becomes royalty free, but some people don't mind that.
So you see, inline solution trumps that.

QVprod wrote: I don't understand where this "herd" thing comes in as obviously no music sharing site will promote you as well as your own website so the lack of individuality of profiles (there is some customization of a SC profile actually) is a non issue. Also, there is plenty of engagement with the artist since you can leave comments on a song. Most people use SC in conjunction with their own website, not instead of it. In any case, marketing yourself yourself as an artist is on you the artist and not the website music is uploaded to. And what privacy invasion? There's no place to put private information.
OK but this is already explained in the post you're replying to :) Peace.

QVprod

01 Dec 2016

HepCat wrote:
HepCat wrote:
And they all require a heap of info at sign up and l'm not sure why they want to be so nice as to host your files anyway. Perhaps it's to dovetail more commercial solutions for higher volume users? Or perhaps there are nefarious sites (not saying any of those you listed) surreptitiously selling data to gangsters who seem to be making hella money somehow. Also, who knows how a legit filesharing site will end up? Look at S**rcef*rge - it's reputation got tarnished after some scandals. All l can say is, l don't know.
You can't compare Dropbox or any of the other sites I mentioned to Sourceforge. Completely different animals. They're not selling your information, the purpose is storage for the user and whomever that user chooses to share it with. They make money by offering larger storage options for those who need it. There are no ads on Dropbox and Gobbler. Google drive is connected to a Gmail account.

That aside. What no one has mentioned yet is you can upload zip files here. If you want to share a lo res mp3. just put it in a zip file. It's the same process for posting patches here.

HepCat

01 Dec 2016

QVprod wrote: You can't compare Dropbox or any of the other sites I mentioned to Sourceforge. Completely different animals.
They're similar in the comparisons l made. Sorry if l'm coming across as red jowelled over this btw, l just think third parties = a huge other debate and l was trying to keep it about inline uploads.

QVprod wrote: They're not selling your information, the purpose is storage for the user and whomever that user chooses to share it with. They make money by offering larger storage options for those who need it. There are no ads on Dropbox and Gobbler. Google drive is connected to a Gmail account.
I've covered this in the message you're replying to.

QVprod wrote: That aside. What no one has mentioned yet is you can upload zip files here. If you want to share a lo res mp3. just put it in a zip file. It's the same process for posting patches here.
THIS is ideal. To illustrate, l have uploaded a WAV file as .zip. Unsure what the size limit is, but l think we have a winner. (OK there's still a risk with .zip uploads but l'm guessing the forum will have its own AV checks - what more can a person hope for).

QVprod l have 9 x A to B USB cables (mint, unused) if you ever want them for free and you're ever in the UK. Thank you squire.
Attachments
Computer song.wav.zip
(884.79 KiB) Downloaded 106 times

Kenni
Site Admin

01 Dec 2016

This is a solution here on reasontalk, yes. However, I will monitor how consumption grows very closely (I already have monitoring setup for this).

If it gets out of hand, all zip files will be deleted. I might as well warn you up front :)
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

Kenni
Site Admin

01 Dec 2016

I realize that this came off very hostile (was on my cell in a noisy train).

What I ment was that I don't really mind. Our storage capacity is limited though, so if people use it to share project files, we might run out of storage space too fast, and I will have no other option than to delete files
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

selig
RE Developer

01 Dec 2016

selig wrote:
deepndark wrote:
OMG, you're such a pessimist. :puf_bigsmile:
Actually I'm an extreme optimist. But I'm also a realist because I don't like being disappointed. I like to read the signs and base my assumptions on lots of data. Like video support, I'd love to see a place to share song files. So here's my question for you - are you going to WAIT until a single entity does what you want, or are you a man of action and going to make it happen? I use Logic for Video, I use Dropbox for song file sharing. IF other options come available I'll consider them, but I'm not waiting around for the Props to do everything I need! Are you?
:)
Found this, which I feel applies to the way I look at things…
Selig Audio, LLC

Galaxy

02 Dec 2016

:clap: great to see ya found a solution.

Nice quote btw :thumbs_up: , I like :mrgreen:

• Information