Which step sequencer for Reason? Launchpad?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Exomène

11 Nov 2016

Hi,

I'm looking for a hardware step sequencer for Reason for my live setup.
I'm pretty happy with the Arturia Beatstep, but I don't find it convenient to play live. Turning an endless controller to reach the desired pitch is not secure enough.
The novation launchpad looks like something interesting. Especially if it can do this :

I would buy it straight away if I was sure Lauchpad could do that "out of the box" or if there was a clear tutorial to achieve this (even if it involves so coding). So do you know if it is possible? Or do you know an other midi step sequencer which works this way?

Cheers,

Exomène

Gorgon

11 Nov 2016

Not possible in Reason (as far as I know). It's one of the reason(!)s why I bought a Push with Ableton.

The lack of such a steptime editor mode is a huuuuge shortcoming.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

HepCat

11 Nov 2016

Hi,

I think what you want is to map a multisample instrument to your pads.

I'm not sure if you can MIDI map individual notes on NN19 or NNXT. In fact l think l've only ever heard people speak about this with regard to Kong.

I've hardly ever used Kong but l'm assuming its pads are MIDI mappable.

So ... load your individual notes to Kong ---> map Kong to your MIDI controller pads. Have fun with novel scales. I'd assume Kong is velocity sensitive so if you had a velocity sensitive controller, all the better (my Launchpad - the mark 1 version - isn't vel sensitive).

There's also this old piece of software, which as you can see was issued for an old version of Reason (it says Reason can't do MIDI out, but l believe it can now). It acts as a layer between Reason and your controller. Beyond that, l've no idea how it works, which is a shame really because the number 1 reason l don't buy a software is ... the manufacturer forgot to give a workflow. Of course they may show a snazzy guy mashing up some hip hop stems crazy style on YouTube, but that means f. all to guys like me - we need example workflows as if you're explaining to a cat (take note you Propellerheads and rack developers): http://www.deluded.co.uk/relaunch/

^^^ in fact, l think the guy in your video was using this very same program, to control Matrix, or, as per the program's description, to control some kind of custom arpeggiator?

Gorgon

11 Nov 2016

HepCat wrote:Hi,

I think what you want is to map a multisample instrument to your pads.
No, that is not what he wants.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

HepCat

11 Nov 2016

Gorgon wrote: No, that is not what he wants.
Hello there l like you, please cheer up. My post evolved to include other stuff (please read it all) and what he most likely was after was in fact the Relaunch app. However, l kept all the other stuff in my post because it might be useful to him.

mojo

12 Nov 2016

Hi there is the squarp instrument pyramid which is a great hardware sequencer.
It's a bit expensive (600 €) but it seems really great.

http://www.squarp.net/

Gorgon

13 Nov 2016

HepCat wrote: Hello there l like you, please cheer up.
I don't need to cheer up.
My post evolved to include other stuff (please read it all) and what he most likely was after was in fact the Relaunch app. However, l kept all the other stuff in my post because it might be useful to him.
No, I'm not going to read it all, because it's answers to questions that nobody is asking. And he is not after the Relaunch app, you would probably know this if you could actually understand his question. He wants to be able to use step-input in Reason and since Reason does not support that, it's pretty much impossible.

artotaku

13 Nov 2016

Gorgon wrote:
HepCat wrote: Hello there l like you, please cheer up.
I don't need to cheer up.
My post evolved to include other stuff (please read it all) and what he most likely was after was in fact the Relaunch app. However, l kept all the other stuff in my post because it might be useful to him.
No, I'm not going to read it all, because it's answers to questions that nobody is asking. And he is not after the Relaunch app, you would probably know this if you could actually understand his question. He wants to be able to use step-input in Reason and since Reason does not support that, it's pretty much impossible.
It´s absolutely possible to build a step recorder with remote codec scripting for any button matrix like midi controller but you have to tie it against a step sequencer device such as Thor or Redrum to store the recorded steps/notes. It´s not possible with Reason´s sequencer though (but today I´m not even sure about that by looking at Raveshaper´s achievements :o ).
There is also this RE "Step" to record steps but unfortunately you cannot remote the Record button.

EnochLight

13 Nov 2016

Gorgon wrote:Not possible in Reason (as far as I know). It's one of the reason(!)s why I bought a Push with Ableton.
Push works great with Reason, and has a step sequencer as well:

http://retouchcontrol.com/pusher/

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Gorgon

13 Nov 2016

EnochLight wrote:
Gorgon wrote:Not possible in Reason (as far as I know). It's one of the reason(!)s why I bought a Push with Ableton.
No it doesn't.

EnochLight

13 Nov 2016

Gorgon wrote:
EnochLight wrote:
No it doesn't.
Oh?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Gorgon

13 Nov 2016

EnochLight wrote: Oh?
Nope, no step sequencer. You also don't see any in the video. A nice tool for Reason and Push but not what the TS wants.

bik44

13 Nov 2016

Hello,
I tested many solutions to work with Reason - Akai MPC, Machine Studio, MaschineR, PuscheR, Beatstep Pro - nothing worked as I wanted.
Finally, for me the best works Push 2 / Ableton that plays only midi via AIC buses to Reason instruments.
No rewire, all is synchronized by the new Link standard (transport in both is independent).
I prepared Drum and Instrument Racks that only sends midi notes and CC to AIC bus and in Reason routed this to individual combinators/instruments.
Now I can sequence and improvise easily, record in Live or Reason if I want. I do not even look at the Ableton - only Reason on screen and Push next to. Ableton in this case is virtually no load is stable and does not take a lot of resources.
I treat it basically as a hardware sequencer as you asked.
Occasionally I also use some VST if I want and some additional sequencers a’la Sonic Faction Tricky Traps.
Last edited by bik44 on 15 Nov 2016, edited 1 time in total.

EnochLight

13 Nov 2016

Gorgon wrote:
EnochLight wrote: Oh?
Nope, no step sequencer. You also don't see any in the video. A nice tool for Reason and Push but not what the TS wants.
Ah. Bobo sandwhich. :(

Exomène

15 Nov 2016

Thank you all for your answers :)

bik44, your setup is very interesting. Can someone explain what are the AIC bus?
Would it mean that I could use the launchpad as shown in my first post if I use Live and then send the signal to Reason?

bik44

16 Nov 2016

IAC (my typo) bus is virtual midi port on Mac. On windows there are similar solutions but I don't know windows at all so please google (LoopBe1, VirtualMIDI etc.).
Launchpad should work for you the same way as Push I think.

electrofux

17 Nov 2016

If you get into Remote you can make some very cool and hands on Stepsequencers for Launchpad(S,Mini,Pro). Thor,Step Note Recorder and PSQ1648 have a very good Remote implementation as does Euclid and ReDrum for Drums Sequencing.

Exomène

20 Nov 2016

Thanks electrofux.
Do you know ressources which will help me develop that? I mean something more explicit than this https://www.propellerheads.se/support/u ... on/remote/

Catblack

22 Nov 2016

I'm very partial to the Launchpad Pro. If you search my history here you'll find my thread for it.

If you go with a mkII you don't get the velocity sensitivity, and all of the custom firmware. (There's a few interesting step sequencer firmwares, but I haven't tried them.) There's an interesting MkII Remote Codec here > http://www.irregular-cluster.de/launchpadmk2.html#news but I haven't ported it to the Pro yet. There's some other codecs for the mkI and the mini out there if you look.

I use mine almost exclusively as a playing surface, and have written a pretty definitive Remote codec for having an RGB grid controller playing surface. To me, the velocity sensitivity is key.

I do have a 16 lights working for the Redrum, but at the rate I'm going I won't have any of the Matrix or step sequencer sort of stuff finished before the end of the year.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

electrofux

23 Nov 2016

Exomène wrote:Thanks electrofux.
Do you know ressources which will help me develop that? I mean something more explicit than this https://www.propellerheads.se/support/u ... on/remote/
At first you need to get hold of the SDK Documentation by applying as Remote Developer (easy). Then i suggest investigating some of the codec files Reason comes with, especially the Pad controllers.

friday

09 Dec 2019

I ordered the Launchpad X and want to use it also as a stepsequencer for Redrum. There are some mini and S codecs around. Anybody here who migrated this codecs to the X?

Catblack

09 Dec 2019

friday wrote:
09 Dec 2019
I ordered the Launchpad X and want to use it also as a stepsequencer for Redrum. There are some mini and S codecs around. Anybody here who migrated this codecs to the X?
I don't think there are. I had no idea they'd released a Launchpad X, but from what i see from the spec you can't set a pad RGB color via sysex (just using their color table) so my codec would not work with it.

Perhaps Remanola would?
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

zoidkirb

09 Dec 2019

i use grid64n by retouch control as a step sequencer for any synth, with my launchpad pro. perhaps it's worth emailing retouch to see if they are interested in supporting the launchpadx also?

friday

10 Dec 2019

Catblack wrote:
09 Dec 2019
I don't think there are. I had no idea they'd released a Launchpad X, but from what i see from the spec you can't set a pad RGB color via sysex (just using their color table) so my codec would not work with it.

Perhaps Remanola would?
He Catblack, thank you for your feedback. So you meen if i simply want to use the Launchpad for Note Scale input and Redrum Stepsequencer, then i should buy a PRO (or an old Launchpad MK2) ?

This is what I want:

demt

10 Dec 2019

squid but 4 500 pounds
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

• Information