Reveal Sound Spire RE confirmed in the works!!!!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
selig
RE Developer

11 Nov 2016

Marc64 wrote:Just a thought ...
Wonder if the props will change the rack layout that adds possibilities to create synths/effects that stretches over 2 rack spaces...
Much like they said they never would add audio tracks but they did eventually...
Not exactly sure what you mean, but the main difference I see is that MANY folks asked for audio tracks, and all other popular MIDI sequencers have added audio over the years before Reason (so it was an obvious next step IMO). Before now I've not heard anyone ask for devices stretching over two rack spaces (assuming you mean horizontally since devices can already be "2 rack spaces" tall/vertically).
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

11 Nov 2016

TheGuyNotNamedBob wrote:Maybe this is a horrible idea. But is it possible to have two devices, available in a bundle, then wire them up to allow more than 9u synths? 1 for envelopes, LFOs, etc, then another for Oscillators and FX. Is that possible?
Not polyphonically. So for example, something that had a strictly 1 voice (monophonic) architecture COULD do this with a good bit of wiring.
Selig Audio, LLC

TheGuyNotNamedBob

11 Nov 2016

selig wrote:
TheGuyNotNamedBob wrote:Maybe this is a horrible idea. But is it possible to have two devices, available in a bundle, then wire them up to allow more than 9u synths? 1 for envelopes, LFOs, etc, then another for Oscillators and FX. Is that possible?
Not polyphonically. So for example, something that had a strictly 1 voice (monophonic) architecture COULD do this with a good bit of wiring.
What about PolyCV? Is that possible?

Loque

12 Nov 2016

I like this idea. I always missed a data connection cable to sum up devices, 2 Combinator as an example. A midi cable would be nice as well.
Reason13, Win10

miscend

12 Nov 2016

I've never tried the VST version of Spire but I've noticed it is rather expensive for a synth at $190. How much overlap is there if you already own Thor, Parsec, Vecto, Expanse, Antidote and Legend. Does Spire really cover any new ground sonically?

EnochLight

12 Nov 2016

miscend wrote:I've never tried the VST version of Spire but I've noticed it is rather expensive for a synth at $190. How much overlap is there if you already own Thor, Parsec, Vecto, Expanse, Antidote and Legend. Does Spire really cover any new ground sonically?
It periodically goes on sale - I picked it up for $129 USD. I think it debuted at $99 USD (hard to recall). It predates everything you mentioned above (I think - could be wrong LOL!) with the exception of Thor and Antidote, and differs a bit from some (while overlapping with others). At its core, it's an analog/subtractive synth but also combines wave-table synthesis. 4 envelopes, 4 LFO's, 2 steppers, massive mod matrix. I'd say that Expanse is the closest that exists in Reason at the moment. As mentioned in my above posts, what Spire has over all of the aforementioned devices is a huge ever-expanding professionally designed patch library, industry-wide critical acclaim, and super-fun programming. Its wavetables truly do sound amazing, though, its oscillators and filters are top notch, and its unique dual-stepper + arp offer it one of the most diverse rythmic patch selection I've ever heard. Its mod matrix is one of the largest in the industry, though I've yet to see all slots utilized LOL!

I think Thor is the only synth that gets close in the simple volume of patch libraries available for it, as it's been out on the market for well over a decade (appearing in Reason 4). Anyway, if you own Thor, Parsec, Vecto, Expanse, Antidote and Legend... Spire may or may not bring something new to the table for you. It's free to trial though, so give it a spin. I think you can run it standalone so there's no need for another DAW to at least demo its sound and features.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

selig
RE Developer

12 Nov 2016

TheGuyNotNamedBob wrote:
selig wrote:
Poly CV allows you to send poly notes from a source to a destination. The problem arises when you try to send poly VOICES (audio) from one half of the synth to another.

In the case you're talking about, Poly CV would allow you to use CV to send notes to BOTH halves of the synth, but would do nothing to communicate polyphonically with the audio path (or with CV at audio rate such as LFOs or Envelopes).
:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

electrofux

12 Nov 2016

tiker01 wrote:
TheMiles wrote:What is it with those "changeable Panels" ? I don't understand why they are not possible ATM. I mean, the big top/center screen on eXpanse is a changeable Panel isn't it ?

It is a custom display. A changeable panel is those you find in Thor!
But it would be no problem to put the Mod Matrix, the Stepper and the Arp in a Custom Display. There ARE ways to fit in everything, some already talked about the knobs being too big anyways.

It is pre Alpha and afaik an Alpha (as opposed to beta) is a state of software where the feature set is not complete.

EnochLight

12 Nov 2016

electrofux wrote:But it would be no problem to put the Mod Matrix, the Stepper and the Arp in a Custom Display. There ARE ways to fit in everything, some already talked about the knobs being too big anyways.
Even if Reveal Sound abandoned their GUI/UX 3D-ish panels to do this in a custom display, they would lose tool tips and modifiers, so... a custom display is simply not a solution to this conundrum, IMHO. That said, part of Spire's charm is its GUI/UX. If they have to go down a drastic custom display path, I shutter to think how much it might change.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

submonsterz

12 Nov 2016

miscend wrote:I've never tried the VST version of Spire but I've noticed it is rather expensive for a synth at $190. How much overlap is there if you already own Thor, Parsec, Vecto, Expanse, Antidote and Legend. Does Spire really cover any new ground sonically?
It goes on sale quite often at places for far far cheaper .
And download the demo and all re demos in reason synth wise and pit against them and the stock youll know why it will be a winner . Soundwise it is lovely nothing reason wise sounds so good in my opinion the instant gratification in sound qauality and cpu use is way better than anything in reason easy.
Just do ya self a favour and compair.

TheGuyNotNamedBob

12 Nov 2016

selig wrote:
TheGuyNotNamedBob wrote:
selig wrote:
Poly CV allows you to send poly notes from a source to a destination. The problem arises when you try to send poly VOICES (audio) from one half of the synth to another.

In the case you're talking about, Poly CV would allow you to use CV to send notes to BOTH halves of the synth, but would do nothing to communicate polyphonically with the audio path (or with CV at audio rate such as LFOs or Envelopes).

Would you need to? If the audio path is on one device, would you need the audio to cross over?

chk071

12 Nov 2016

Just wonder, but... is copy paste or parameter values possible with the current RE SDK? Spire does have copy paste for the oscillator settings, and it's a big time saver.
:reason: :rebirth:

selig
RE Developer

12 Nov 2016

TheGuyNotNamedBob wrote:
selig wrote:
TheGuyNotNamedBob wrote:
selig wrote:

Would you need to? If the audio path is on one device, would you need the audio to cross over?
I have envisioned a synth that has the poly elements in one device and the mono in another, which solves all of these issues. It also means each device would be more 'free standing' which has advantages IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

TheGuyNotNamedBob

12 Nov 2016

selig wrote:
TheGuyNotNamedBob wrote:
selig wrote:
TheGuyNotNamedBob wrote:
selig wrote:

I have envisioned a synth that has the poly elements in one device and the mono in another, which solves all of these issues. It also means each device would be more 'free standing' which has advantages IMO.

So it is possible? I'd love to see a device that uses this technique. It'd effectively allow you to break the 9u limit. Throw them in a combi, wire it up, save the wiring as a patch, and bam. Largest Reason synth.

selig
RE Developer

12 Nov 2016

TheGuyNotNamedBob wrote:
selig wrote:
TheGuyNotNamedBob wrote:
selig wrote:
TheGuyNotNamedBob wrote:
selig wrote:

So it is possible? I'd love to see a device that uses this technique. It'd effectively allow you to break the 9u limit. Throw them in a combi, wire it up, save the wiring as a patch, and bam. Largest Reason synth.
Yes, what I described is easily possible.

Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

12 Nov 2016

chk071 wrote:Just wonder, but... is copy paste or parameter values possible with the current RE SDK? Spire does have copy paste for the oscillator settings, and it's a big time saver.
There's some RE's that have copy/paste functions for settings. Off my head, Audio Realism's ABL3, Blamsoft Zero as well as Expanse does. It's done by custom display in all 3. Not sure about the others...

TheGuyNotNamedBob

12 Nov 2016

selig wrote:
TheGuyNotNamedBob wrote:
selig wrote:
TheGuyNotNamedBob wrote:
selig wrote:
TheGuyNotNamedBob wrote:
selig wrote:

Yes, what I described is easily possible.

Come on Devs! Where's the 18u mega monster synth? :D

Creativemind

12 Nov 2016

Fingers and toes crossed for an SDK III arrival and Spire in Feb/March next year to coincide with Reason 9.2 ;-)
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

PadShifta

28 Nov 2016

Please, RevealSound.... we kindly ask you guys to post more pics and maybe let us follow the making of ReSpire a bit. And maybe let us know where you picked the spot for the step sequencer, arp, eq & fx. Backpanel or seperate devices maybe?
We don´t mind waiting some time for news ( we can wait (a bit) ). No hassle. Take your time to find the best possible ways to make ReSpire a reality. Just let us in on some details about it once decisions have been made and the design is done, please.
What you might not know about this community is, that we feed off every tiny detail that gets our hopes up and we just love to follow along the developement of a Rack Extension. It´s the air that we breathe ;-)

Thank you and best regards,

Andy :-)

EnochLight

28 Nov 2016

PadShifta wrote:Please, RevealSound.... we kindly ask you guys to post more pics and maybe let us follow the making of ReSpire a bit. And maybe let us know where you picked the spot for the step sequencer, arp, eq & fx. Backpanel or seperate devices maybe?
We don´t mind waiting some time for news ( we can wait (a bit) ). No hassle. Take your time to find the best possible ways to make ReSpire a reality. Just let us in on some details about it once decisions have been made and the design is done, please.
What you might not know about this community is, that we feed off every tiny detail that gets our hopes up and we just love to follow along the developement of a Rack Extension. It´s the air that we breathe ;-)

That's a wonderfully heart felt post, but no one from Reveal Sound is a member here (that I know of). You should post this on their Twitter and Facebook thread though!

PadShifta

29 Nov 2016

EnochLight wrote:
PadShifta wrote:Please, RevealSound.... we kindly ask you guys to post more pics and maybe let us follow the making of ReSpire a bit. And maybe let us know where you picked the spot for the step sequencer, arp, eq & fx. Backpanel or seperate devices maybe?

That's a wonderfully heart felt post, but no one from Reveal Sound is a member here (that I know of). You should post this on their Twitter and Facebook thread though!

Oh, alrighty then ;-) What a shame though...

Karim
Competition Winner

29 Nov 2016

PadShifta wrote:
EnochLight wrote:

We hope they will members in incoming 2017 ...

Inviato dal mio SM-G925F utilizzando Tapatalk
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3 + R12.x + IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

XysteR

29 Nov 2016

I messaged Props via facebook:

My question:
Just an enquiry. Revealsound are bringing Spire to the Reason rack. As big as this synth is in the world of music production, it would be a real shame for Reason and Reason users as a whole if they had to leave out features for the Re version. Are there any limitations, and are you guys working with Revealsound to aid them to provide a full featured Spire VST to Re port?

Props reply:
Thanks for your interest in our products and the RE development. Unfortunately, I can't speak of any future development plans. Sorry!

Not much meat on the response - but a fair enough reply I suppose.

PadShifta

02 Dec 2016

PadShifta wrote:
EnochLight wrote:

So much, so good. I took the chance to write to them and got this back:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andy Seinsch: Me again ;-) Please, RevealSound.... we kindly ask you guys to post more pics and maybe let us follow the making of ReSpire a bit. And maybe let us know where you picked the spot for the step sequencer, arp, eq & fx? Backpanel or seperate devices maybe...Mehr anzeigen
29. November um 09:07

Nearly every developer that works for the Props is also a member on reasontalk.com - our central place to discuss all topics around the software we love and use. It would be a pleasure having you onboard, guys. Come and join in! :-)
29. November um 09:10
Reveal Sound Spire:
Reveal Sound Spire Hi! Thank you for the invitation. We are activly working on Spire for Reason.
All functionality from VST version will be implemented
in ReSpire, but a little differently - it depends on what current Reason version allows.[/color]

So I hope they´ll join us here at ReasonTalk soon.

Cheers, ANDY

EnochLight

02 Dec 2016

PadShifta wrote: 29. November um 09:10
Reveal Sound Spire:
Reveal Sound Spire Hi! Thank you for the invitation. We are activly working on Spire for Reason.
All functionality from VST version will be implemented
in ReSpire, but a little differently - it depends on what current Reason version allows.[/color]

Wow - I'm actually surprised to read that! I'm very interested how they will manage to implement all functionality from the VST version. Still, it's very encouraging to read that from them - nice! I just reposted at Rack Extensionists, Andy - cheers!

* Edit: I know for a fact it won't include all functionality - as you can change the GUI theme in Spire. :D #pedantic

• Information