Synapse The Legend Synthesizer is in the Shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
SynapseAudio
RE Developer

18 Oct 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote:The update made a difference on the DSP bar for sure. I loaded up my track I wrote for the song challenge. Before the update the track stuttered like crazy in Reason, but now it plays everything through fine.

The only weird thing I noticed was that one particular instrument (with Legend) sounded different, a lot bassier. That happened after the update. I'm not sure what's happening, if it's due to the changes in The Legend or something else is going on, but there's a difference.
Oh well, the song is rendered and officially released anyway. I'm not gonna change anything at this point.
It is probably just the free running oscillators, which are always in a different phase, as in every analog synth. This can make a difference for bass sounds sometimes, dependent on the patch. If you're 100% sure something is wrong though, you can always send us a patch or song for inspection, but we did have this version beta-tested and noone noticed any difference (there really shouldn't be any).

Richard

SynapseAudio
RE Developer

18 Oct 2016

riemac wrote:Fantastic update Richard, now I'm sold and got my believe back in Reason ;-)
Before I could run 15 instances of the Legend, after update 45!

With this new technology, would it be possible to improve the performance of Antidote as well (not that it is bad in the first place)?
Antidote uses a different approach. There is a few parts that might benefit from SSE vectorization, but I'm not sure how much performance this would bring. The Legend's concept is based from the very beginning around processing its four voices in parallel. This fits perfectly to an analog synth emulation with a fixed polyphony of say 4 or 8 voices, as well as a somewhat limited feature set. It is less ideal for a synth like Antidote or DUNE 2 where the voices are allocated flexibly and have a rather complex internal modulation system working under the hood.

Richard

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

18 Oct 2016

SynapseAudio wrote:
TritoneAddiction wrote:The update made a difference on the DSP bar for sure. I loaded up my track I wrote for the song challenge. Before the update the track stuttered like crazy in Reason, but now it plays everything through fine.

The only weird thing I noticed was that one particular instrument (with Legend) sounded different, a lot bassier. That happened after the update. I'm not sure what's happening, if it's due to the changes in The Legend or something else is going on, but there's a difference.
Oh well, the song is rendered and officially released anyway. I'm not gonna change anything at this point.
It is probably just the free running oscillators, which are always in a different phase, as in every analog synth. This can make a difference for bass sounds sometimes, dependent on the patch. If you're 100% sure something is wrong though, you can always send us a patch or song for inspection, but we did have this version beta-tested and noone noticed any difference (there really shouldn't be any).

Richard
That's ok, like I said I won't go back to change anything in the mix anyway. I appreciate it though.

I hope you keep doing stuff for Reason. I own several of your rack extensions and they're among my favorites. The Legend being a new favorite.
Updates like this and the connection with us users here are greatly appreciated.

A suggestion for future rack extensions: A really good harmonic exciter. That and a good stereo widener are desperately needed in the Reason environment. I know there are two exciters available in the Prop Shop, I've tried them both, but didn't like them at all unfortunately. The only stereo widener for Reason is the stock stereo imager and that one is far from the best out there.
If you guys came out with either of those things there would basically be no competition for you in the RE market.

Breach The Sky

18 Oct 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote:Snip
Have you tried Kilohearts Faturator? I don't like the distortion that much but the widening effect is excellent imo.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

19 Oct 2016

Breach The Sky wrote:
Have you tried Kilohearts Faturator? I don't like the distortion that much but the widening effect is excellent imo.
Yeah I've tried it. But that's just the haas effect right? Just one speaker being slightly delayed.

GRIFTY

19 Oct 2016

this synth fire

Breach The Sky

19 Oct 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote:
Breach The Sky wrote:
Yeah I've tried it. But that's just the haas effect right? Just one speaker being slightly delayed.
I checked and you're right. Oh well, works for me apparently!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

19 Oct 2016

Breach The Sky wrote:
TritoneAddiction wrote:
Breach The Sky wrote:
I checked and you're right. Oh well, works for me apparently!
It's still a good tool to have, just not what I was looking for.

phobik

22 Oct 2016

SynapseAudio wrote:
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
SynapseAudio wrote:Similarly, if you try to simulate a tube amp with a digital distortion plus EQ, you can get very nice tones that way but it's not nearly the same.
Maybe an idea for your next project? I am absolutely sure we can go beyond what's currently available in amp simulation. Plus all these cool guitar effects. Finding that unexpected non-lineair magic is fun. And I think we can go beyond that. Like you have proven with The Legend which imo has more to offer than a real Minimoog. It's here were code shows the world that digital truly is the next step in perfecting sound forever. And as you might understand, with perfect I also mean that imperfect randomness which is so super cool about non-lineair stuff. That's the reason (!) I play guitar. It is such an expressive and dynamic instrument, I LOVE it.

Consider it: amps and pedals in code.
Yeah that would be fun, though Kuassa/Blamsoft already beat us to it. Then again there is of course plenty of amps and stomp boxes left that could be simulated. We'll think about it :)

Richard
Can you talk about the process, say for a stomp box, from start to finish?

tanni

23 Oct 2016

Antidote uses a different approach. There is a few parts that might benefit from SSE vectorization, but I'm not sure how much performance this would bring. The Legend's concept is based from the very beginning around processing its four voices in parallel. This fits perfectly to an analog synth emulation with a fixed polyphony of say 4 or 8 voices, as well as a somewhat limited feature set. It is less ideal for a synth like Antidote or DUNE 2 where the voices are allocated flexibly and have a rather complex internal modulation system working under the hood.
Richard
Hello Richard,
a very nice synth and good sounding. Its a shame that it can only play 4 voices. For pads etc. I'll need mostly 6-8 voices. So if it was hardware I can understand a voice-limiting because of costs, but in a softsynth I cant follow that. Maybe you can expand this feature ?
thanks.

jfrichards

23 Oct 2016

tanni wrote:...Its a shame that it can only play 4 voices. For pads etc. I'll need mostly 6-8 voices...
This is one of the primary functions of the Combinator. Two Legends in a Combinator into a 6:2 Line Mixer in the Combinator is a near-perfect solution. I recommend Bounce In Place after composing the track and dragging the midi note clip(s) in the sequencer to the right of the song end to save DSP for adding tracks.

Gardinski

23 Oct 2016

Yup... just use the combinator to create a keyboard split, with the left hand going to one instance of Legend, and the right hand going to a second. Works beautifully (unless you want all 8 fingers in the same half of the keyboard.. but obviously you could split further into 4 instances or whatever.) Since the recent update, the DSP usage is so low you could double up as often as you want.

Loque

23 Oct 2016

tanni wrote:
Richard
Hello Richard,
a very nice synth and good sounding. Its a shame that it can only play 4 voices. For pads etc. I'll need mostly 6-8 voices. So if it was hardware I can understand a voice-limiting because of costs, but in a softsynth I cant follow that. Maybe you can expand this feature ?
thanks.
I would agree, but the whing about CPU usage would be much higher. Until it is available use Distributor.
Reason12, Win10

tanni

23 Oct 2016

Gardinski wrote:Yup... just use the combinator to create a keyboard split, with the left hand going to one instance of Legend, and the right hand going to a second. Works beautifully (unless you want all 8 fingers in the same half of the keyboard.. but obviously you could split further into 4 instances or whatever.) Since the recent update, the DSP usage is so low you could double up as often as you want.
Ah, I dont think of that. good idea. Thats maybe a good workaround. I will test it.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

30 Oct 2016

I'm not a technical guy at all so this is probably a retarded question, but here it goes anyway.
Can I use the The Legends reverb as a send effect? If so, how? A clear step by step explanation with the routing would be helpful.

Loving this synth by the way.

Marco Raaphorst

30 Oct 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote:I'm not a technical guy at all so this is probably a retarded question, but here it goes anyway.
Can I use the The Legends reverb as a send effect? If so, how? A clear step by step explanation with the routing would be helpful.

Yes you can but you need to use a keyboard, sequence or CV device to open the note gate on the back of the device. This opens the filter and allows audio to be send through the reverb.

Loque

30 Oct 2016

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
TritoneAddiction wrote:I'm not a technical guy at all so this is probably a retarded question, but here it goes anyway.

Yes you can but you need to use a keyboard, sequence or CV device to open the note gate on the back of the device. This opens the filter and allows audio to be send through the reverb.
There is the Note Stand RE that could help.
Reason12, Win10

Marco Raaphorst

30 Oct 2016

Loque wrote:
Marco Raaphorst wrote:

There is the Note Stand RE that could help.
Or a Matrix device like this:
Screen Shot 2016-10-30 at 11.49.15.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-30 at 11.49.15.png (364.77 KiB) Viewed 3139 times

pjeudy

30 Oct 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote: a good stereo widener are desperately needed in the Reason environment. The only stereo widener for Reason is the stock stereo imager and that one is far from the best out there.
There are a couple of stereo wideners in the shop! what I think you want is a Multiband stereo widener and a good Multiband exciter or even a single band one....I agree with you the one that I tried at in the shop, didn't.....Uhm...excite me :-)
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

30 Oct 2016

pjeudy wrote:
TritoneAddiction wrote: a good stereo widener are desperately needed in the Reason environment. The only stereo widener for Reason is the stock stereo imager and that one is far from the best out there.
There are a couple of stereo wideners in the shop! what I think you want is a Multiband stereo widener and a good Multiband exciter or even a single band one....I agree with you the one that I tried at in the shop, didn't.....Uhm...excite me :-)
Yeah something like the stuff in Izotopes Ozone (mastering plugin).
What are the stereo wideners in the shop you're talking about? ReStereo? The Haas effect in RPDistort? Maybe I've missed something.

I mean compare the number of EQs and compressors in the shop to the number of exciters and stereo imagers. A really good RE exciter in the shop would be so easy to sell.

michael.jaye

22 Nov 2016

Just trialling this ahead of any possible sales... my goodness was a great sounding synth!

Flint32

22 Nov 2016

I purchased it after trialing it. Fell in love. Got the VST version for free and am blown away. I never had a moog synth so cannot compare. But this synth is a beast, well at least IMHO.

Eric

The_G

23 Nov 2016

Flint32 wrote:Got the VST version for free
How?
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

geronimo

23 Nov 2016

SynapseAudio wrote:
fceramic wrote:I would love to get this in VST as well. Hopefully Synapse can offer a discount.
We plan to make the crossgrade free of charge, just send us your PH invoice as proof of purchase once the VST is out :)

Richard

Flint32

25 Nov 2016

The_G wrote:
Flint32 wrote:Got the VST version for free
How?
I emailed service@synapse-audio.com with the receipt of purchase and applied for the cross-grade. As I had already a synapse account, it has been added to my account.
If u dont have an account, I guess they'll ask u to create one first.

Eric

• Information