Post a pic of your studio!

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
User avatar
Jagwah
Posts: 1921
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 30 Jul 2016

jappe wrote:It's like my tumble dryer... I can make a pair of gloves from the shit in the filter after a couple runs☺
:lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

User avatar
aburazaru
Posts: 170
Joined: 28 Feb 2016

Post 07 Aug 2016

Jagwah wrote:
aburazaru wrote:P-clamps are cable management's best friends, y'all!
I used 3M hooks that stick on to a surface which in my case was the back of my desk panels, they can hold the weight so all the power boards and everything are suspended and out of sight, with no dust build up. It was well worth the effort!

You take great pictures btw :)
aburazaru wrote:Image
Thank you much, sir! Photography is the other "business"... By business I mean I do it for fun and sometimes people pay me for it, haha!
How was I supposed to know "don't touch" meant to not push the big...red...button?

dhruan
Posts: 245
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Post 03 Sep 2016

Current setup, still very much WIP... Got the Gennys (8330A) and the stands last week, already in love. ;) I used to have a pair of 1029 and 8030 for a number of years, these are a cut above them and then some due to more power and the GLM DSP correction.

Also featured is our animal companion, Adele. She is a corgi/german shepherd mix, a rescue we got about a year ago. She is a total darling, hardly ever barks too.

Image
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

User avatar
aburazaru
Posts: 170
Joined: 28 Feb 2016

Post 03 Sep 2016

dhruan wrote:Current setup, still very much WIP... Got the Gennys (8330A) and the stands last week, already in love. ;) I used to have a pair of 1029 and 8030 for a number of years, these are a cut above them and then some due to more power and the GLM DSP correction.

Also featured is our animal companion, Adele. She is a corgi/german shepherd mix, a rescue we got about a year ago. She is a total darling, hardly ever barks too.

Image
Something to be said about a QUALITY setup there (with a small footprint)! May I ask if you use the wacom tablet in audio stuff, or do you also do some graphic/photo work too?
How was I supposed to know "don't touch" meant to not push the big...red...button?

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 3950
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 03 Sep 2016

loopback wrote:Faeriesmount Studio:

Image

Also called Aira-Land :D
Loving the full length SSL there buddy :thumbs_up:
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.25 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 6906
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 04 Sep 2016

dagwood wrote:
EnochLight wrote:Here's mine so far - just started a remodel about a year ago:

Image 

Image 
This is absolutely stunning; LOVE!!!! Where did you get the foam panels? I was looking at Auralex but they're super expensive.

XOXOX
Thanks!

I picked up the panels from http://www.foambymail.com/ - they're about a 45 minute drive from my house so I was able to take a look at their panels before ordering them. The larger panels near the white light switch (to the right of my door) were actually in a clearance bin - for just $3 a panel! The rest I paid full price for, but that was still 80% cheaper than Auralex.

That said, it should be said that the quality of the panels from foambymail.com are not as nice as Auralex. The panels by Auralex are denser, whereas the panels by foambymail are lighter. Still, I couldn't justify the ridiculously expensive prices that Auralex charges, and the acoustic absorption wasn't much different (foambymail provides the measurements on their website for comparison).

I did learn some valuable lessons for mounting the foam panels on drywall, though. I wish I had painted all of my walls black before mounting them, as you can see some white seams between some panels. Also, 3M's Super77 does not work that great. I wish I had just liquid nailed the panels to my walls!
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio 1 4.6 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 & Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7 Expansion, MX1, JX8P, TB3 | Ensoniq SQ1 Plus | Korg Minilogue XD

dhruan
Posts: 245
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Post 04 Sep 2016

aburazaru wrote:Something to be said about a QUALITY setup there (with a small footprint)! May I ask if you use the wacom tablet in audio stuff, or do you also do some graphic/photo work too?
Hi and thanks! I use the Wacom for general use as a big ass touchpad, also for visual & other design work, audio stuff too. I have used Wacom tablets since '97 or so (started my career as an AD & visual/UI/web designer), nowadays my work is mostly on the UX & Service Design side (User/Human Centered Design, working with people, doing research, running workshops etc.) but the habit of using a tablet has stuck with me. It is kind of a no-brainer for any kind of photo editing or visual/graphic stuff, also great for operating Reason. :)
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

User avatar
aburazaru
Posts: 170
Joined: 28 Feb 2016

Post 04 Sep 2016

dhruan wrote:
aburazaru wrote:Something to be said about a QUALITY setup there (with a small footprint)! May I ask if you use the wacom tablet in audio stuff, or do you also do some graphic/photo work too?
Hi and thanks! I use the Wacom for general use as a big ass touchpad, also for visual & other design work, audio stuff too. I have used Wacom tablets since '97 or so (started my career as an AD & visual/UI/web designer), nowadays my work is mostly on the UX & Service Design side (User/Human Centered Design, working with people, doing research, running workshops etc.) but the habit of using a tablet has stuck with me. It is kind of a no-brainer for any kind of photo editing or visual/graphic stuff, also great for operating Reason. :)
Now that's what I was after! First, that sounds cool! Second, are there any benefits/advantages to using the tablet in something like reason, or is it just a natural pref for you? Are you using it to manipulate specific instruments or controls, or using it the same way somebody like me would use a mouse (for all the stuff I can't really do easily in controllers)? I'm on the fence about grabbing a large tablet as I deal in photography as well so seeing what other functionality I can squeeze out of it, haha. Sorry for the game of 20 questions.
How was I supposed to know "don't touch" meant to not push the big...red...button?

dhruan
Posts: 245
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Post 04 Sep 2016

aburazaru wrote:Now that's what I was after! First, that sounds cool! Second, are there any benefits/advantages to using the tablet in something like reason, or is it just a natural pref for you? Are you using it to manipulate specific instruments or controls, or using it the same way somebody like me would use a mouse (for all the stuff I can't really do easily in controllers)? I'm on the fence about grabbing a large tablet as I deal in photography as well so seeing what other functionality I can squeeze out of it, haha. Sorry for the game of 20 questions.
Benefits... if you are running a setup with multiple monitors or a laptop and a monitor then yeah, it definitely makes controlling stuff easier with using the touch functionality or the pen (now that Wacom has gotten the touch part working better). Mine is a Wacom Intuos Pro M, it is more than adequate for me. Would not really want to go L unless my focus was drafting/CAD/mechanical engineering or digital painting, this thing is already quite big and the L one gets tricky to place (few industrial designers run those at work). This also relates to portability, you can stuff this one into a regular laptop bag with a 15" MBP, the L one... good luck with that ;)

Other than that, natural preference, yeah, I do not especially dislike mice but anything that cuts down on repetition and awkward hand postures is a bonus. For graphics work a pen is pretty much essential, it saves time, is more precise and also has the added benefits of pressure and angle sensitivity. Used with Reason, well, it just works, like a big touchpad so I use that instead of a mouse. Using gestures, dragging devices or the view, manipulating controls, all works great and is much preferable to a mouse.

Actually, the only place where I would use a mouse nowadays is with games, keyboard and a mouse is so much better than anything else for running and gunning in a FPS (although I have gotten better with a console controller now that I "some hours" of DOOM on PS4 under my belt). :D
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

User avatar
pongasoft
RE Developer
Posts: 290
Joined: 21 Apr 2016
Location: Las Vegas

Post 05 Sep 2016

studio-setup.jpg
This is my setup (missing my Kaossilator pro in the photo :) )

Yan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
dagwood
Posts: 46
Joined: 17 Jun 2016

Post 09 Sep 2016

EnochLight wrote:
dagwood wrote:
EnochLight wrote:Here's mine so far - just started a remodel about a year ago:

Image 

Image 
This is absolutely stunning; LOVE!!!! Where did you get the foam panels? I was looking at Auralex but they're super expensive.

XOXOX
Thanks!

I picked up the panels from http://www.foambymail.com/ - they're about a 45 minute drive from my house so I was able to take a look at their panels before ordering them. The larger panels near the white light switch (to the right of my door) were actually in a clearance bin - for just $3 a panel! The rest I paid full price for, but that was still 80% cheaper than Auralex.

That said, it should be said that the quality of the panels from foambymail.com are not as nice as Auralex. The panels by Auralex are denser, whereas the panels by foambymail are lighter. Still, I couldn't justify the ridiculously expensive prices that Auralex charges, and the acoustic absorption wasn't much different (foambymail provides the measurements on their website for comparison).

I did learn some valuable lessons for mounting the foam panels on drywall, though. I wish I had painted all of my walls black before mounting them, as you can see some white seams between some panels. Also, 3M's Super77 does not work that great. I wish I had just liquid nailed the panels to my walls!
Thanks so much for this info! My b-friend is supposed to be building us a studio, so we will look at that website as a possible supplier.

User avatar
gak
Posts: 2840
Joined: 05 Feb 2015

Post 28 Sep 2016

pongasoft wrote:studio-setup.jpg

This is my setup (missing my Kaossilator pro in the photo :) )

Yan
See, I really like that, but I could NEVER get by with having to move the maschine and the keyboard. Even simply in a DAW world, I use it WAY too much.

User avatar
Olivier
Moderator
Posts: 1248
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Amsterdam

Post 29 Sep 2016

One thing I'd like to say about foam is: do not go overboard with it. Don't plaster your walls and ceiling with it. Most of the panels will only do a bit of hi cut on the acoustics of your room wich will dull your sound making it likely that you add too much high to your mix to compensate.
Acoustic treatment is a complex subject that doesn't get solved with a prefab "kit" of panels because every room, together with the way you set up your gear, is different.
Good acoustic treatment usually needs a good balance of trapping, absorbing and diffusion.
Make sure you try to get a bit of all of that and even then, don't cover all your walls.
I'd say visit gearsluts for the good threads on this subject and take your time.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 6906
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 29 Sep 2016

eauhm wrote:One thing I'd like to say about foam is: do not go overboard with it. Don't plaster your walls and ceiling with it. Most of the panels will only do a bit of hi cut on the acoustics of your room wich will dull your sound making it likely that you add too much high to your mix to compensate.
Acoustic treatment is a complex subject that doesn't get solved with a prefab "kit" of panels because every room, together with the way you set up your gear.
Good acoustic treatment usually needs a good balance of trapping, absorbing and diffusion.
Make sure you try to get a bit of all of that and even then, don't cover all your walls.

Agreed!

I strongly urge anyone considering modifying their studio space to at least do one of Auralex's free room analysis services:

http://www.auralex.com/tools/roomanalysis/

There may be others out there, but this is the one I used.
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio 1 4.6 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 & Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7 Expansion, MX1, JX8P, TB3 | Ensoniq SQ1 Plus | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
Olivier
Moderator
Posts: 1248
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Amsterdam

Post 29 Sep 2016

Auralex has nice products. And if your room measurements (not the ones you make with a tape measure, but the ones you make with either your ears or a measuring mic) tell you you need a bit of foam they have nice foam. But 40 cm deep foam basstraps.. If that would really work you'd see them in every high end studio.
The best room analysis can be done by learning what a room and it's acoustics does to your sound. What do reflections do. What are standing waves. What does absorption and deflection/diffusion do. What does a desk do to the sound from your speakers when you move your head. Where do I place my speakers.
Realise that most small rooms will have big problems (large rooms small problems). Once you know this, you know what problems treatment can fix, and you can stay alert to the effect of your room on your sound.
And take into consideration that auralex likes to sell products, and then decide what your room needs.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

User avatar
normen
Posts: 3431
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 29 Sep 2016

eauhm wrote:Auralex has nice products. And if your room measurements tell you you need a bit of foam they have nice foam. But 40 cm deep foam basstraps.. If that would really work you'd see them in every high end studio.
The best room analysis can be done by learning what a room and it's acoustics does to your sound. What do reflections do. What are standing waves. What does absorption and deflection/diffusion do. What does a desk do to the sound from your speakers when you move your head. Where do I place my speakers.
Realise that most small rooms will have big problems (large rooms small problems). Once you know this, you know what problems treatment can fix, and you can stay alert to the effect of your room on your sound.
And take into consideration that auralex likes to sell products, and then decide what your room needs.
There IS great acoustic foam on the market for about 8 years now though - its called Basotect. I have 50cm x 2m triangle bass traps in my corners and up on the walls now and they work like crazy. The room isn't big and I had issues at around 120/60Hz - they're gone.

See my post here:
https://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.ph ... 8&p=272930

I am in the process of setting up my new home/project studio atm. I'll post here when I'm done :)

User avatar
Olivier
Moderator
Posts: 1248
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Amsterdam

Post 29 Sep 2016

Thats cool to see, although im not convinced by the graphs. My ears might convince me though ;) Also, 50 cm is a lot more then 35 some traps have.
I'm curious to try them out though. I could really use some better bass trapping.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

User avatar
normen
Posts: 3431
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 29 Sep 2016

eauhm wrote:Thats cool to see, although im not convinced by the graphs.
This is a german company, the graphs are correct ;)

User avatar
Olivier
Moderator
Posts: 1248
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Amsterdam

Post 29 Sep 2016

normen wrote:
eauhm wrote:Thats cool to see, although im not convinced by the graphs.
This is a german company, the graphs are correct ;)
That does help :) but..
If i see the purple line ending at 0.05 absorption for 100hz.. Then I'm much more inclined to believe your ears when you say it worked wonders for your room as opposed to going by the numbers on that graph. Because to me they don't look that great.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 6906
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 29 Sep 2016

normen wrote:
eauhm wrote:Thats cool to see, although im not convinced by the graphs.
This is a german company, the graphs are correct ;)
I suppose the graphs Volkswagen used were defective. :D
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio 1 4.6 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 & Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7 Expansion, MX1, JX8P, TB3 | Ensoniq SQ1 Plus | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
EnochLight
Moderator
Posts: 6906
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 29 Sep 2016

eauhm wrote: And take into consideration that auralex likes to sell products, and then decide what your room needs.
Their room measurement services (at least the free ones) are pretty decent for small rooms. But I would never buy their overpriced foam (which is why I went with a local manufacturer at 1/5 the cost). ;)
Win 10 | Reason 11 Suite |  Studio 1 4.6 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live 2 & Force | Roland System 8, TR-8 7x7 Expansion, MX1, JX8P, TB3 | Ensoniq SQ1 Plus | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
Olivier
Moderator
Posts: 1248
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Amsterdam

Post 29 Sep 2016

From what I gather here most already know what they are getting themselves into. On the other hand, many people are easily tempted by cool looking walls with nice patterns of multicolored foam. That's what my "PSA" was about ;)
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

User avatar
normen
Posts: 3431
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 29 Sep 2016

eauhm wrote:That does help :) but..
If i see the purple line ending at 0.05 absorption for 100hz.. Then I'm much more inclined to believe your ears when you say it worked wonders for your room as opposed to going by the numbers on that graph. Because to me they don't look that great.
Read the bottom. This is for 10cm wall absorbers. The triangles are 50cm at the cathetus :) "Normal" foam of 10cm thickness doesn't do much at all in these low/mid frequency areas. Anyway, didn't want to derail the topic, sry.

User avatar
Olivier
Moderator
Posts: 1248
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Amsterdam

Post 29 Sep 2016

normen wrote:
eauhm wrote:That does help :) but..
If i see the purple line ending at 0.05 absorption for 100hz.. Then I'm much more inclined to believe your ears when you say it worked wonders for your room as opposed to going by the numbers on that graph. Because to me they don't look that great.
Read the bottom. This is for 10cm wall absorbers. The triangles are 50cm at the cathetus :) "Normal" foam of 10cm thickness doesn't do much at all in these low/mid frequency areas. Anyway, didn't want to derail the topic, sry.
Good point, my apologies because I started it :S thanks for your info though! Back to perrty pictures !
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

User avatar
dioxide
Posts: 1378
Joined: 15 Jul 2015

Post 05 Oct 2016

Thought I would join in the fun :D

• The System 1 is for synth control and keys.
• The Spark LE is for Redrum control and programming.
• The VCM600 is mixer control.
• The Traktor F1 is used for sequencer control (either Matrixes or latching the main sequencer on and off using Note Receive).
• The DJ controller isn't used for production, but it is good to use the EQs / filters or to mix into another song (good for checking mixes).
IMG_1962.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Trendiction [Bot] and 0 guests