About to Buy Logic, Please Talk Me into Reason 9 Instead

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
selig
RE Developer

10 Aug 2016

Raveshaper wrote:
selig wrote:That is to say, Logic is ONLY a better deal IF it works better for YOU.
If a tool doesn't appeal to your way of working, even FREE isn't a good deal…
:)
Yes. Very well put.
I have struggled and fought hard for years now to try and improve what I see as major errors in this tool I have used for nearly the last 14 years. It is quite literally as if it is fighting my attempts to improve it. This, in contrast to other platforms having more improvements than I may ever find a need for. I am not interested in REs, I want the program itself to mature in ways that should seem obvious even to its creators, but they just give me the blank stare of incomprehension. To encounter that is a very faith-breaking experience, at least for me.
I am simply fed up, Giles. I really am.
But, that's me.
I can understand that - there are so many simple things Reason just cannot do that it IS baffling at times. But at the end of the day I take a deep breath, remind myself it's 1st world problems compared to what was available when I started making music in the late 1970s, and get to work satisfying my muse.

Still not sure I've gotten my money's worth with Logic. Only used it once on a project that needed video (only used it for video), plus a few song ideas that have gone nowhere. Reason OTOH, has given me joy since 2003. Go figure.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

kitekrazy

10 Aug 2016

Raveshaper wrote:Logic is an overwhelmingly better deal for your money than Reason could ever hope to be.
In terms of cost and forward thinking creative potential, I would choose Logic between these two.
I have to agree with this. I'm a PC guy but if I went Mac, I'd waste no time getting Logic. It also depends on what you want to do. Logic has for more options than Reason.

joeyluck

10 Aug 2016

Some of the most fun and most productive music making I have done was on my Zoom ST-224 which had a total sampling time of 30 sec per sample / 60 seconds per song. I would make tracks on the ST-224 by arranging loops and then record vocals or vocoder along with the track onto my MiniDisc recorder. I would then call it done. If I messed up a vocal, I would redo the entire recording. But once that recording was on the MiniDisc, that's what I uploaded to mp3.com and shared with friends.

I guess this is one of those creativity spawning from limitation speeches...

I remember the days when I started with Reason 1 not long after that where I would either export my tracks from Reason and add vocals in Audacity...or record vocals in Audacity and import them into a sampler in Reason.

So I always remind myself of the limitations I had when I made music before. Actually I sometimes find it hard to keep up with some of the features added. New features inspire and new features certainly inspire new ideas for other features. I've played around with other DAWs such as Cubase, Live, and Logic, but at the end of the day, they are all very well equipped to make music and finish a well-sculpted project.

Whichever environment feels most comfortable is the one you should go with. If you can manage several, more power to you :)

Yonatan

11 Aug 2016

I am afraid it might be hard at the moment, to convince a person with limited budget (student) to choose Reason as the first or main platform. I hope PH will bring some killer updates this year ahead now that more ppl have upgraded and the ones who doubt, will need enough convincing steps to do the upgrade. And along with updated tools for RE developers, I hope Reason will prosper and fly, so that I without a single doubt can tell others "this daw is worth diamonds!". For me it is, but objectively I cannot tell others "you will never ever regret if you choose Reason".
Last edited by Yonatan on 27 Aug 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Yonatan

11 Aug 2016

I fully agree with you Joey!

But our generations who appreciate just to be able to see a rack with virtual stuff, is not at the same place as the younger generations of today, that are spoiled with automation and just using one finger to point to get what they want.

Reason is in my opinion the perfect middle ground where the older workflow and the newest meet. It inspires so much, but I dovt think it automatically touches the younger ones as much with wires and look-alike interface. I think that many miss out on the potential and beauty of Reason just because they do not understand it the same way. They got not the same connection to the older days.
They can learn to love it, I am sure, and the more quality video tutorials or vlogs, the more of the younger ones will see the beauty.

So, if my point may seem harsh by some, I might add that I do think the players etc of the new Reason 9 is a hit in right direction. Two years of R8 was not that hopefull. Now I can see there is a way more exciting package.

MusicianX

13 Aug 2016

jjkjjk wrote:Seasoned musician, DAW noob.

Rig: Mid-2009 Macbook Pro, 2.53 ghz, 8 gb ram, 480 gb ssd

Uses: Track Demos (keys/guitar), Synth (pad) sound creation (for worship), vocal processing, making beats

Super interested in stability vs. Logic as well.

Reason is A million times more stable than logic. I don't know if you purchased it yet but if you haven't be prepared for a bunch a system overload messages that have been plaguing logic for what seems like forever. I just uninstalled logic pro x today because of these very issues.

Gulale

14 Aug 2016

Yonatan wrote:I fully agree with you Joey!

But our generations who appreciate just to be able to see a rack with virtual stuff, is not at the same place as the younger generations of today, that are spoiled with automation and just using one finger to point to get what they want.

Reason is in my opinion the perfect middle ground where the older workflow and the newest meet. It inspires so much, but I dovt think it automatically touches the younger ones as much with wires and look-alike interface. I think that many miss out on the potential and beauty of Reason just because they do not understand it the same way. They got not the same connection to the older days.
They can learn to love it, I am sure, and the more quality video tutorials or vlogs, the more of the younger ones will see the beauty.

So, if my point may seem harsh by some, I might add that I do think the players etc of the new Reason 9 is a hit in right direction. Two years of R8 was not that hopefull. Now I can see there is a way more exciting package.
You miss understood the point Yonatan. It is not about wire and cv or Rack approach. I advice people what Reason offers right out of the box and to that it is incomparable. Man apart from the SSL which is a fixed dynamic tools what useful compressor do you have in Reason? What is your favourite EQ in Reason which makes you jump out of your chair?

The point is, in my believe, Relatively speaking If you look at what Other DAWs are offering right out off the box makes them even more cost effective than Reason. Which you have to spend another at least 400 bucks over Rack extension to keep up and running that if you wait for sale. Now that makes it even less appealing form me to advice people to buy it. I'm not sales man so I have to tell people based on my experience than lets say emotional advice.

I wouldn't spend a lot of cash over a crappy Re reverb relatively speaking to the VST if Reason developers had not been too slow to upgrade the RV7000.

The point I saw a guy wrote IR loader with in two weeks for linux audio community, I realised PH are going slow intentionally for business decision. based on that experience and watching how things are going even right now, I tell people that there are very, very better options out there.

So I don't want people to go that way and lose cash. I'm not a sales man I'm a user and I tell people based on my experience. I would rather help less fortunate people with my money than spend it unnecessarily over Re to stand up side by side with other DAWs. I don't know how much is the 1176 compressor for reason 150$ isn't that logic builtin compressor offer? I'm Sorry in this economy hell no I don't tell people to spend 400 bucks man. I love people all over the world. Bless!
Gulale aka Bereket

Yonatan

14 Aug 2016

Gulale wrote:
Yonatan wrote:I fully agree with you Joey!

You miss understood the point Yonatan. It is not about wire and cv or Rack approach. I advice people what Reason offers right out of the box and to that it is incomparable. Man apart from the SSL which is a fixed dynamic tools what useful compressor do you have in Reason? What is your favourite EQ in Reason which makes you jump out of your chair?

The point is, in my believe, Relatively speaking If you look at what Other DAWs are offering right out off the box makes them even more cost effective than Reason. Which you have to spend another at least 400 bucks over Rack extension to keep up and running that if you wait for sale. Now that makes it even less appealing form me to advice people to buy it. I'm not sales man so I have to tell people based on my experience than lets say emotional advice.

I wouldn't spend a lot of cash over a crappy Re reverb relatively speaking to the VST if Reason developers had not been too slow to upgrade the RV7000.

The point I saw a guy wrote IR loader with in two weeks for linux audio community, I realised PH are going slow intentionally for business decision. based on that experience and watching how things are going even right now, I tell people that there are very, very better options out there.

So I don't want people to go that way and lose cash. I'm not a sales man I'm a user and I tell people based on my experience. I would rather help less fortunate people with my money than spend it unnecessarily over Re to stand up side by side with other DAWs. I don't know how much is the 1176 compressor for reason 150$ isn't that logic builtin compressor offer? I'm Sorry in this economy hell no I don't tell people to spend 400 bucks man. I love people all over the world. Bless!

I´m with you on what you say. Dont disagree with your points. I also spend on additional reverbs just close to RV7000 being updated.
Slowness of real concrete updates is a big disadvantage when using Reason. PH lean too much on us to buy RE:s, and not even the RE platform is brought to a standard where we can get the best instruments. If that were the case, well, but that also is behind.
PH has put less effort in updating thier overall package. If that has been pure business strategy, I´m really sad, because the message they seem to deliver is that they are too small of a company and that things takes time.
But the discover/allihoopa went very fast, so the logic is a bit strange.

joeyluck

25 Aug 2016

Just saw this commercial on TV. I wasn't watching at first, but when I heard it, I looked up like, "Huh? What are they talking about?" Lol

Logic Pro!

overmedium

25 Aug 2016

hey all, new guy here! I own both. here's my pros and cons

pro LPX: great value for a full suite daw, Alchemy is amazing

pro Reason 9: much more stable than LPX (with only stock plug ins LPX has crashed on me numerous times); undo command that actually un-does ALL commands/ keystrokes/mouseclicks unlike LPX which has a limited undo which is absolutely a shame! ; gui is very very attractive, borderline sexy; easier to preview samples.

Yes LPX costs considerably less than Reason 9, but LPX is just wonky and can be more frustrating to use (stability issues and undo command issues) that Reason 9 would be my choice. And since i own both i can still run Alchemy with rewire so i have best of both worlds!

MusicianX

26 Aug 2016

Overmedium i also own both how do you deal with the constant system overload messages in LPX?

QVprod

26 Aug 2016

I would assume a decision has probably been made by now, But I'd say Logic X is great if you intend to supplement it with third party plugins or happen to be great at programing synths. Otherwise the stock preset sounds are pretty dated and the stock synths aren't as simple to understand as Reason's stock synths. Barring price, Reason is a better platform to learn with.

overmedium

26 Aug 2016

MusicianX wrote:Overmedium i also own both how do you deal with the constant system overload messages in LPX?
MusicianX thankfully I have been spared that message; the times it crashed on me the app simply quit, or i got the spinning beach ball of death and i had to force quit.

SA Studio

26 Aug 2016

QVprod wrote:I would assume a decision has probably been made by now, But I'd say Logic X is great if you intend to supplement it with third party plugins or happen to be great at programing synths. Otherwise the stock preset sounds are pretty dated and the stock synths aren't as simple to understand as Reason's stock synths. Barring price, Reason is a better platform to learn with.
Reason's great but there's an extreme wealth of functions (strip silence, etc) in Logic that make it wonderful to have on hand. You can't do everything with Reason, by a long shot, and many other DAWs are out there to fill in certain gaps. I have less than zero quams (sp?) about using other DAWs and products. They're all wonderful for different things.

I guess I'm only tossing in some words because while the critique of Logic not having nearly as good of stock sounds out of the box as Reason, which I easily agree with, it does however have much more advanced audio editing features out of the box.

If I had Macs, like places and people I work with, I would be running Logic as well as a partner with Reason. If you have a Mac, look into getting Logic is my advice.

QVprod

27 Aug 2016

SA Studio wrote:
QVprod wrote:I would assume a decision has probably been made by now, But I'd say Logic X is great if you intend to supplement it with third party plugins or happen to be great at programing synths. Otherwise the stock preset sounds are pretty dated and the stock synths aren't as simple to understand as Reason's stock synths. Barring price, Reason is a better platform to learn with.
Reason's great but there's an extreme wealth of functions (strip silence, etc) in Logic that make it wonderful to have on hand. You can't do everything with Reason, by a long shot, and many other DAWs are out there to fill in certain gaps. I have less than zero quams (sp?) about using other DAWs and products. They're all wonderful for different things.

I guess I'm only tossing in some words because while the critique of Logic not having nearly as good of stock sounds out of the box as Reason, which I easily agree with, it does however have much more advanced audio editing features out of the box.

If I had Macs, like places and people I work with, I would be running Logic as well as a partner with Reason. If you have a Mac, look into getting Logic is my advice.
Fair point. Comes down to a perspective thing really. Whether you're looking at a purchase from an audio editing/engineering perspective or a production perspective. In an either/or scenario I would never recommend Reason to someone as an audio engineering tool. Surely it's capable, but it's far from the best tool for the job. But as a production tool Reason easily beats Logic as a self-contained package to someone just starting out. Though Alchemy sort of sweetens the Logic deal a little.

I'm a full supporter of using multiple DAWs though. I personally use Studio One more than Reason nowadays.

MusicianX

27 Aug 2016

As much as i get frustrated with logic i would have to disagree with the stock content statement. Logic by far has way more sounds and good ones too. Thats one huge plus for logic pro.

jfrichards

27 Aug 2016

I have both. For me the advantage of Logic is also its weakness. If you want quick commercial ready, commercial sounding music, Logic is better. It is very smooth and polished, sounding like the top 1000 bands right away. Reason is as unique, creative, surprising, different, and sonically memorable as you want it to be or are capable of. Logic can make you money, Reason can make you inventive.

sdst
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2016

I prefer reason than Logic and pro tools combined, if you ask me
Well I prefer anything than pro tools.lol

but only trying the demos, you know which it is best for you

overmedium

27 Aug 2016

hey all,

let's not forget about jjkjjk OP's requirement: super stability. Which do you think is more stable, LPX or Reason?

From my experience: Reason.

Gulale

28 Aug 2016

I have no idea on what type of system people are running their Logic and face problem but my Logic X is like concrete untouchable. That goes for Reason and every DAW I have. I always say Keep yourself out of crack software and you will find yourself in heaven. It is funny people even install operating system crack :lol: and I see same same people complaining about stability issue.
Gulale aka Bereket

overmedium

28 Aug 2016

Gulale wrote:I have no idea on what type of system people are running their Logic and face problem but my Logic X is like concrete untouchable. That goes for Reason and every DAW I have. I always say Keep yourself out of crack software and you will find yourself in heaven...
Gulale my versions are purchased versions, from both Apple and Propellerheads. My OS 10.11.6. So now you know what kind of system I have :puf_bigsmile:

LPX: occasionally quits on its own, usually at the worst possible moment. I don't recall Reason ever quitting and I've owned it since 2.5.

jjkjjk

03 Sep 2016

Reason 9 might happen this week. Only 299 at guitar center

GeiddE

03 Sep 2016

ProfessaKaos wrote:Have you tried both? Try the demo's. Which one do you have more fun with? Go with that one.
This
I tried reason adapted
Bought the full R3 without hesitation
The rest is history

Oenkenstein
RE Developer

03 Sep 2016

Although Reason has a steep learning curve for beginners, it is so much fun to work with. Dragging cables. Programming a combinator. It's just fun to make music with this DAW.

I have worked with Logic 4, once owned by Emagic and you could use it on a PC and I am occasionally working with Logic X, which requires a Mac nowadays. And it is the same as working in Cubase, Nuendo, Profools and Ableton Live: You get the job done, but where is the fun?

When you get used to work with Reason and go back to work in Logic and hit accidentally the TAB key, that will convince you to buy Reason.

miscend

04 Sep 2016

I find Reason a lot better and even faster than Logic for getting ideas down in midi. So it's really all about workflow and which sequencer you prefer working in.

In addition to that I would say Reason is more rock solid stability wise. Logic has far more features but also more quirks and bugs. Random CPU spikes are not uncommon.

• Information