Anatomy of a Piece - Composing + Mixing

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Benedict
Competition Winner

18 Jan 2015

Hi All

Well I did it. Here is a pair of articles on writing and mixing a piece. They don't show lots of techniques as that is impossible, more explains why I did what I did as I think that gives greater insight.

Part 1 - Composing

http://benedictroffmarsh.com/2015/01/18 ... mposing-2/

Part 2 - Mixing

http://benedictroffmarsh.com/2015/01/24 ... ce-mixing/

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

eusti

18 Jan 2015

Thanks for sharing, Benedict! Love that weird, haunting sound in the second half...
Not quite sure of the melody it's playing, but very enjoyable to read about all of this!

D.

Benedict
Competition Winner

18 Jan 2015

Thanks.

In what way are you not sure about the melody? Do you have the same concerns when played as Super Saw?

Benedict Roff-Marsh

eusti

18 Jan 2015

It just feels weird at times where it's going... But that is just due to my taste and my preconceptions... ;)
But I do love that flowing, haunting sound!

D.

eusti

18 Jan 2015

Talking about the one that starts at 1:47.
(sounds a bit like a singing saw)

D.

Benedict
Competition Winner

19 Jan 2015

Thanks

@ eusti: That is exactly it, a singing saw(tooth). I agree it is rather unexpected in what initially seems more EDM to have this Theramin sound scoop all over the place. BTW how did you manage sooo many posts so fast  :shock:

@ Mr Alternative: I'm flattered. I hope for alive which is hard when it is almost all moused in.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

selig
RE Developer

19 Jan 2015

Benedict, this is awesome! It's always bugged me when mixing tutorials don't show the most important aspect of mixing IMO: the WHY. You can find all the "how" technique tutorials you could ever want, but to get inside the mixer's mind and follow the "why" is SO much more valuable to the beginning and experienced engineer alike IMO. It was always the first question I asked when starting out!

Make more of these, please.
Selig Audio, LLC

eusti

19 Jan 2015

Benedict wrote:Thanks

@ eusti: That is exactly it, a singing saw(tooth). I agree it is rather unexpected in what initially seems more EDM to have this Theramin sound scoop all over the place. BTW how did you manage sooo many posts so fast  :shock:

@ Mr Alternative: I'm flattered. I hope for alive which is hard when it is almost all moused in.

:) !

Regarding my unusual high amount of posts: I felt that this place could use a little extra in regards to energy and I had a little time, so I decided to interact more instead of my usual more lurking personality...

D.

PS: I actually should have gotten into some arguments, that would have really helped my post count! :P

Benedict
Competition Winner

19 Jan 2015

Thanks Selig

Wait about a week for Part 2.

BTW documenting a whole piece is pretty time consuming, and this was only a simple piece! Maybe next time I will limit myself to a slightly smaller slice of the pie.

Again any requests will be considered (not that I expect Selig has much to learn from me).

Benedict Roff-Marsh

Purpleb

21 Jan 2015

Excellent article! :t2018: There is not many like this.
Just like selig said you talk about the "why."
I know Part II is going to be cool too, cant wait!
Thanks

Benedict
Competition Winner

23 Jan 2015

Benedict Roff-Marsh

• Information