Doubts about Allihoopa

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
preemd

01 Aug 2016

I know there was a topic about a similar issue, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

I just have a few questions about how it all works. For instance, you decide to download a track made in reason from an Allihoopa user, that used let's say samples or rex files she/he bought for his own use. Do you get those "embededded" in the DLed file, and if yes, isn't that a copyright issue? The other thing, what if the user used a RE that you don't have, you just get a partial track?

Never used the download/"collab" feature of Allihoopa (yet), only the listening tracks a bit. I don't think I'll ever download or upload a collab file to AH unless these doubts are clarified. Can someone with some knowledge on this share her/his wisdom please?
Reason 9
M-Audio 2496 Delta
E-MU Xboard49

tibah

01 Aug 2016

preemd wrote:Do you get those "embededded" in the DLed file, and if yes, isn't that a copyright issue?
As far as I know, you don't download the Reason project anyway, only the rendered wav. This is also the main reason why I don't "get" Allihoopa. If you were about to build a platform for Reason users to collaborate, let them share their projects, but then again, maybe people don't want to and keep their "secrets" or whatever and of course, Allihoopa also provides for mobile app users.

Back when Reasonstation was still a thing, people would actually cramp all the instruments in one place and all the effects in another so it wouldn't be that easy to follow what they did, so maybe people are more unwilling to "share" than I think. :mrgreen: :o

preemd

01 Aug 2016

Ok thanks. Yep, staying away from that one then for sure..
Reason 9
M-Audio 2496 Delta
E-MU Xboard49

submonsterz

01 Aug 2016

Its as much a sharing service as soundcloud is a sharing service in that sense from the reason point of view.
In other words it doesnt even come close to it.

AttenuationHz

01 Aug 2016

Hmmm yes I have been having my doubts about it too. It just seems all a bit novelty to me. Last time I was on it was because I got an email promoting someone when I got to the page I discovered that the person being promoted was a member of staff. I then discovered that those who had the best promotion were all members of staff. Its was like discovering that everyone around you are clones.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

joeyluck

01 Aug 2016

Doesn't hurt to build-upon something just to try it out.

For me, it's opened up a world of using the Dr. Octo Rex which I very rarely used before.
I'll build upon something, create a Rex loop from it, and have some fun.
It is just audio, but it does also configure the BPM and loop point automatically. And creating Rex files is quick and easy and works well.

I'm much more comfortable building upon other people's work, as I don't have a huge attachment to the end product.

An example of just having some fun :puf_smile:

kuhliloach

01 Aug 2016

I am so glad Allihoopa is now a different company than Propellerhead. I do not want my DAW associated to that nonsense in any way. If I could remove the Allihoopa button from Reason 9 I would. The copy protection problem in Reason is already wreaking havoc on potential collaboration; the last thing we need is a confusing copyright situation on top. The one thing I would value most if it were possible with Allihoopa is being able to pick apart Reason song files made by others, since it would offer an education and possible inspiration.

jfrichards

01 Aug 2016

Allihoopa has been out a while. Some new people may have a hard time grasping what it is. It is a non-copyrited service for those who are NOT professionals, and probably never will be. For what it is, it's very cool. It's a free posting site for music that is free to listen and use. It is not a site for music professionals, unless the professional wants to give some of their stuff away for free. Professionals have lots of other methods and sites to use. If they don't know about those, then they are not professionals. It may have been unclear when it first came out due to the unique kind of site, but if anyone is still confused, numerous people including myself have let the musician know that posting on Allihoopa is purely non-copyrited. And in fact, the music posted on Allihoopa has exploded numerically and includes lots of very high-quality non-commercial music. This actually fits perfectly with most Reason users, not just Figure and Take users. The overwhelming majority of Reason users are not professionals, even though Reason is professional quality. Look out a window and see how many professional quality racing bikes go by. Does this mean they are all professionals? Not even 1%. Not even 1/4 of 1%.

miscend

01 Aug 2016

The name is not very appealing. It's also spelt weird. Also the fact that Reason can't natively open Figure or Take projects is an issue.

ejanuska

01 Aug 2016

There are a lot of people using it. I wonder if its mostly people using Figure while in the bathroom, or on a train, or talking to their mother.

Funny thing with the promotions @AttenuationHz didn't know that.

Seriously, if it gets people into music and sharing more power to it.
No stupid commercials to listen to and that's always a plus.

qoreybeats

01 Aug 2016

The technology on Allihoopa is genius and the future of music collaboration. Can the branding and creative direction be improved? Sure, everything has room for improvement. Follow me tho :cool: https://allihoopa.com/iamqorey

AttenuationHz

01 Aug 2016

joeyluck wrote:Doesn't hurt to build-upon something just to try it out.
Just after I posted I actually took another look on it and found an interest piece of music and added a whicked beat to it because that's what it was lacking.
jfrichards wrote:The overwhelming majority of Reason users are not professionals, even though Reason is professional quality.
There has to be some morality with that but no? If a Professional musician hears something and gets inspired by it maybe even tweaks it so it does not sound anything like the original then later decides not to drop to All I Hop Pa.
ejanuska wrote:There are a lot of people using it. I wonder if its mostly people using Figure while in the bathroom, or on a train, or talking to their mother.
That's all that seems to be on it, music from figure which I think is novelty!
miscend wrote:The name is not very appealing. It's also spelt weird. Also the fact that Reason can't natively open Figure or Take projects is an issue.
Its all audio your downloading if it was project files there really would be a blatant day light robbery thing going on. But maybe if that new .srns comes into being it might happen. :P
qoreybeats wrote:The technology on Allihoopa is genius and the future of music collaboration.....
It is if someone comes up with a way to actually collaborate in a live environment. Most of the stuff on it after you download you realise that you would have to change the kick and bass EQ's because they are way to loud. And the high end is sounding way too weak. You can only do so much with EQ before it completely destroys the feel of the loop.
qoreybeats wrote: Follow me tho :cool: https://allihoopa.com/iamqorey
:lol: Nicely plugged
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Soft Enerji

01 Aug 2016

Doesn't interest me at all but I'm sure it has a place for others........whatever floats yer boat.....

jfrichards

02 Aug 2016

For reference:
https://allihoopa.com/tos
The strange but interesting Allihoopa Terms of Service.

jfrichards

02 Aug 2016

Soft Enerji wrote:Doesn't interest me at all...
Hey Mark, hope you're doing well. Every few days I check out the Reason musicians' section of Allihoopa. Often, there are really good pieces, and it's quite an active place. It's nice to see the professional level achievements of us non-professionals around the world. Every such site over the past 30 years has eventually been taken over by the commercial music industry. It will be interesting to see how or if that happens to Allihoopa also.

https://allihoopa.com/apps/reason/latest

I feel Figure is the weakest part of PropWorld, although it is geared to the large number of new people getting into software music on their phones (certainly way better than Pokemon Go). I don't like the narrowness of the pre-made melodies and phrases, nor the teeny bopper, bubblegum feel of the Swedish teenage EDM PopHop built in to Allihoopa. For me, Korg Kaossilator is way better. I don't follow the Figure section of Allihoopa at all, it gets annoying to me quickly. It reminds me in some ways of Pokemon Go, where the comfortable children of imperialism are unknowingly bouncing along until an economic crisis crashes down around them, sounding surprisingly like a Saab Gripen dropping its payload on the fertile slopes of the Philippines or Columbia.

There are some really good singers and composers in the Take section, but most are regular people having fun, hardly a crime.

dioxide

02 Aug 2016

jfrichards wrote:For reference:
https://allihoopa.com/tos
The strange but interesting Allihoopa Terms of Service.
just strange or strange and downright bad?
2.1 Allihoopa reserves all other rights not expressly granted in the Terms of Service.

VHS

02 Aug 2016

I wouldn't upload any songs to it, but Ive been considering making useful stuff available, like risers and drum builds/breaks/fills. Nothing I would regret giving someone else all rights to.

selig
RE Developer

03 Aug 2016

Like many others, I use this service "privately" as a way to share ideas with collaborators or to listen to works in progress remotely. It's quite handy for that purpose alone IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

dioxide

03 Aug 2016

selig wrote:Like many others, I use this service "privately" as a way to share ideas with collaborators or to listen to works in progress remotely. It's quite handy for that purpose alone IMO.
I think you still sign away control of the 'shared' material though even if you don't make it public. Obviously the risk of it being used without credit is minimal if you share it privately, but theoretically the person you send it to could use it without any claim by you.

selig
RE Developer

03 Aug 2016

dioxide wrote:
selig wrote:Like many others, I use this service "privately" as a way to share ideas with collaborators or to listen to works in progress remotely. It's quite handy for that purpose alone IMO.
I think you still sign away control of the 'shared' material though even if you don't make it public. Obviously the risk of it being used without credit is minimal if you share it privately, but theoretically the person you send it to could use it without any claim by you.
The person I send it to is ALREADY using it without any claim by me! That's the point of the sharing, in this case collaborating with my girl friend. Even if I was paranoid I'd not worry about using the service in this fashion… ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Jmax

02 May 2017

Allihoopa is all about sharing. At first I was skeptical, but discovered it's actually really awesome. Not only do I find it much better then Soundcloud in terms of connecting with other people, getting followers, comments, likes etc. You don't get any of the Soundcloud spam robots.

I will pretty much post up any great tracks I make or I think are good. Or even loops I think people can build on. It's just good fun. I made a basic chill 8 bar loop in figure and this guy did an amazing vocal track on it. Considering adding a little extra to it and releasing it at some point. It's all fair game. That is the price.

If your tracks are so good and selling, then of course don't put anything on there. But it's a great niche and way to connect and also just to get your music listened to.

LatinFlavour

08 May 2017

I think Allihoopa is great place for people to improve their skills, find connections, practice, learn, and share with people around the world.

I do hope every person reads the terms of service cuz there's some pretty good tracks out there.

One thing that I did notice is that a track I uploaded to Allihoopa sounded better than SoundCloud. Not sure if SoundCloud converts wav to MP3 or lower sampling rate but definitely changed the quality of the audio ( using the non-pro SoundCloud account ). Can someone test and Confirm this?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Information