Yamaha MX61 v2 Music Production Synthesizer (Blue)

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
elwoodblues914C5

23 Jul 2016

Since I currently have a softsynth-based studio at the moment,I've been missing my old hardware keyboards...but I only bought workstation-type keyboards and the last one I had,was a Casio PX-560(which was a complete turd,in a studio environment)...so I was utterly fed up and sold it to GuitarCenter.
I really don't want to go down the on-board studio keyboard route again,as it's just too damn expensive(for my budget)....but recently,I saw a re-launch of Yamaha's MX line(which has a blue-colored model,with an FM app for a iPad/tablet and comes with Cubase AI 8 and the 61 key is going for $700(which is extremely attractive.)
I once had a MOX6 and an older version of Cubase and since I was brand new to Yamaha & Cubase at that time,the integration between the MOX6 and Cubase,was an overly complex and convoluted mess that I could never figure out,so I sold that keyboard.
Recently however,I've been studying this upcoming product release and it seems that Yamaha has vastly improved the integration between the two(made it very user friendly) and I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on one.I was wondering what others here,think of this re-launch?

http://yamahaforums.co.uk/yamaha-re-lau ... w-colours/

QVprod

24 Jul 2016

I don't see you feelings about cubase changing (unless they already have) Props to Yamaha for making something class compliant for the first time. That aside, If it was easy for you to sell your MoX, I don't see you being impressed by this much. Aside form the IOS app integration (kind of a gimmick if you primary want to use this in a home studio setting) I don't really see much difference between this and the last MX series.

elwoodblues914C5

24 Jul 2016

QVprod wrote:I don't see you feelings about cubase changing (unless they already have) Props to Yamaha for making something class compliant for the first time. That aside, If it was easy for you to sell your MoX, I don't see you being impressed by this much. Aside form the IOS app integration (kind of a gimmick if you primary want to use this in a home studio setting) I don't really see much difference between this and the last MX series.
Perhaps you are right,but I found this video rather convincing;

When I had bought my MOX6,I mainly wanted it for it's on-board sequencing and I quickly grew tired of the small screen and so many of the on-screen functions being buried under countless sub menus.It was then,that I realized that for me to continue using on-board sequencers was pointless and I wanted to focus on using software for recording.
I think the MX is a nice blend of affordability,hardware and software and one of the major selling points for me,is the latest version of Cubase AI and from what I took away from this video,is that there are pre-configured set up templates,so I don't have to be burdened with sorting everything out manually.
For me to have the Motif XS sounds and effects that I've always wanted and a fully functional DAW(I know it's a compact version of Cubase,but I don't need all of the bells & whistles)...it's a deal that I can't see passing up.In as much as I would love to have a Montage,it's way too pricey for what it is(that is to say,there's a sequencer in it,but it's only a performance sequencer and not a full studio-type sequencer) and to me,that's a rip off.
I would love to have the Motif XF,but it's already being phased out,as some retailers are no longer carrying them and by the time I have enough green saved up to buy one....they will be long gone(& as a strict rule,I do not by used.)I also thought about a MOXF....but the tiny screen(even in that price range,is a f**king insult)...because most keyboards in the budget range now,are going with bigger displays.
I am not really hung up on touch screens like some are,but at the very least,I would like a larger,more usable screen,if I am to do any on-board recording.

QVprod

24 Jul 2016

elwoodblues914C5 wrote:
QVprod wrote:I don't see you feelings about cubase changing (unless they already have) Props to Yamaha for making something class compliant for the first time. That aside, If it was easy for you to sell your MoX, I don't see you being impressed by this much. Aside form the IOS app integration (kind of a gimmick if you primary want to use this in a home studio setting) I don't really see much difference between this and the last MX series.
Perhaps you are right,but I found this video rather convincing;

When I had bought my MOX6,I mainly wanted it for it's on-board sequencing and I quickly grew tired of the small screen and so many of the on-screen functions being buried under countless sub menus.It was then,that I realized that for me to continue using on-board sequencers was pointless and I wanted to focus on using software for recording.
I think the MX is a nice blend of affordability,hardware and software and one of the major selling points for me,is the latest version of Cubase AI and from what I took away from this video,is that there are pre-configured set up templates,so I don't have to be burdened with sorting everything out manually.
For me to have the Motif XS sounds and effects that I've always wanted and a fully functional DAW(I know it's a compact version of Cubase,but I don't need all of the bells & whistles)...it's a deal that I can't see passing up.In as much as I would love to have a Montage,it's way too pricey for what it is(that is to say,there's a sequencer in it,but it's only a performance sequencer and not a full studio-type sequencer) and to me,that's a rip off.
I would love to have the Motif XF,but it's already being phased out,as some retailers are no longer carrying them and by the time I have enough green saved up to buy one....they will be long gone(& as a strict rule,I do not by used.)I also thought about a MOXF....but the tiny screen(even in that price range,is a f**king insult)...because most keyboards in the budget range now,are going with bigger displays.
I am not really hung up on touch screens like some are,but at the very least,I would like a larger,more usable screen,if I am to do any on-board recording.
Ah ok. From my understanding the the main difference between this and the MOX is just the sequencer. The interaction between with software is pretty much an editor that runs as a plugin and some of the keyboard functions map to Cubase. The fact the new MX Bu/Bk is class compliant audio and midi will make initial setup easier since there are no drivers. But essentially, if you really just want the Motif XS sounds (though it has less waveforms than the Motif XS so sounds a little different) this may work for you. Your MOX could've actually been used for this same purpose but since you bought it with sequencing in mind, I can understand you getting frustrated with it.

elwoodblues914C5

24 Jul 2016

QVprod wrote:
Ah ok. From my understanding the the main difference between this and the MOX is just the sequencer. The interaction between with software is pretty much an editor that runs as a plugin and some of the keyboard functions map to Cubase. The fact the new MX Bu/Bk is class compliant audio and midi will make initial setup easier since there are no drivers. But essentially, if you really just want the Motif XS sounds (though it has less waveforms than the Motif XS so sounds a little different) this may work for you. Your MOX could've actually been used for this same purpose but since you bought it with sequencing in mind, I can understand you getting frustrated with it.
It could be,that my understanding of the video I watched on the MX61 & Cubase is a bit skewed and that maybe the intergration between the MX & Cubase,is something that I may find just as difficult to figure out....I don't know for certain.I do know...that currently,there's plenty of video tutorials that should get me through the process.
It would be really interesting to see if Yamaha ever creates a scaled down version of the Montage(hopefully,without them reducing the screen down to the size of a pocket calculator!) :puf_bigsmile:

O1B

25 Jul 2016

"Since I currently have a softsynth-based studio at the moment,I've been missing my old hardware keyboards.."

Never had one... Need one... This seems interesting. Fast, impressive tweaks.
Interesting in seeing more. I like the starting sounds in that first video.

But, I gotta wait to see what that behringer synth tease brings, as well.
Good Luck choosing.

elwoodblues914C5

25 Jul 2016

O1B wrote:"Since I currently have a softsynth-based studio at the moment,I've been missing my old hardware keyboards.."

Never had one... Need one... This seems interesting. Fast, impressive tweaks.
Interesting in seeing more. I like the starting sounds in that first video.

But, I gotta wait to see what that behringer synth tease brings, as well.
Good Luck choosing.
At this point,I am not in a debate with what brand to choose,as I definitely want the MX61 and eventually,in addition to the Yamaha,I want either the FA06,or the Juno DS61.In terms of physical aesthetics,I like the appearance of the Juno a lot,but I would be missing out on the Supernatural sounds though.
As for the Behringer synth,I am in no hurry to get it,as I don't know enough about it,or what the price will be.....

O1B

25 Jul 2016

Date first available at Amazon.com: Oct 17, 2012. Sorry. ..thought this was a new offering... seemed a lil 19900ish.
Just checked Sweetwater... for $700, the Juno61 seems the best on offer...
for $1,200... The FA06.. wow. Nice one.... w/SuperNATURAL Synth Engine. Awesome "Modify" Section.

My lil ole' JP-08 will have to do for now... until I can pick one of those Monsters.
elwoodblues914C5 wrote:At this point,I am not in a debate with what brand to choose,as I definitely want the MX61 and eventually,in addition to the Yamaha,I want either the FA06,or the Juno DS61.In terms of physical aesthetics,I like the appearance of the Juno a lot,but I would be missing out on the Supernatural sounds though.
As for the Behringer synth,I am in no hurry to get it,as I don't know enough about it,or what the price will be.....

elwoodblues914C5

25 Jul 2016

O1B wrote:Date first available at Amazon.com: Oct 17, 2012. Sorry. ..thought this was a new offering... seemed a lil 19900ish.
Just checked Sweetwater... for $700, the Juno61 seems the best on offer...
for $1,200... The FA06.. wow. Nice one.... w/SuperNATURAL Synth Engine. Awesome "Modify" Section.

My lil ole' JP-08 will have to do for now... until I can pick one of those Monsters.
elwoodblues914C5 wrote:At this point,I am not in a debate with what brand to choose,as I definitely want the MX61 and eventually,in addition to the Yamaha,I want either the FA06,or the Juno DS61.In terms of physical aesthetics,I like the appearance of the Juno a lot,but I would be missing out on the Supernatural sounds though.
The Yamaha MX series...now has 2 versions.The 1st version came out a few years ago,but version 2...is due to be available in August.The re-launched version has blue and white models,an updated version of Cubase AI and it has iPad/tablet connectivity for an FM synthesis app.
As far as I'm aware,that's the extent of the differences.So in a way,the MX is a new offering.In the case of the Roland FA series,the one(or 2) downside(s) to it,is that the uploading of additional sounds and the rendering of WAV files,is a very slow process.Just to load a half a gigabyte of sounds,takes over 30 minutes and the keybed of the 61 key is of very poor quality.

O1B

26 Jul 2016

Thanks for that clarification.
So - that's why the FA-06 loses ' 1star.' The kiss of death for me is a sh*tty keybed.
It's surprising that the keyed is bad on a Roland - given the A-49 and 88's reputation.

Why oh why can't they get it right - like, IMO, Kurzweil. (....No synth like the MX61, though..)
elwoodblues914C5 wrote: The Yamaha MX series...now has 2 versions.The 1st version came out a few years ago,but version 2...is due to be available in August.The re-launched version has blue and white models,an updated version of Cubase AI and it has iPad/tablet connectivity for an FM synthesis app.
As far as I'm aware,that's the extent of the differences.So in a way,the MX is a new offering.In the case of the Roland FA series,the one(or 2) downside(s) to it,is that the uploading of additional sounds and the rendering of WAV files,is a very slow process.Just to load a half a gigabyte of sounds,takes over 30 minutes and the keybed of the 61 key is of very poor quality.
y

elwoodblues914C5

26 Jul 2016

O1B wrote:Thanks for that clarification.
So - that's why the FA-06 loses ' 1star.' The kiss of death for me is a sh*tty keybed.
It's surprising that the keyed is bad on a Roland - given the A-49 and 88's reputation.

Why oh why can't they get it right - like, IMO, Kurzweil. (....No synth like the MX61, though..)
Well....of course the FA-08's key-bed is excellent(as it's $700 more) and it's still is a great deal at that price,but more than I can spend and PC software is a higher priority for me anyhow.Despite the FA's uploading and rendering flaws...once that's done...it's a very fast system,in terms of boot up time and transitioning from preset to preset.IMO...Roland's FA-series is the best workstation for the money(only because the Korg Kronos has no flash memory.)Kurzeil's workstations are crappy,due to their display sizes...but their Forte keyboards are interesting and I'm not sure which model it is,but there's one where the board's internal sounds can be used as VST's in a PC DAW(which is amazing)...but again...an instrument that is out of my price range,at the moment.
The MX61 represents the best way,for me to re-enter the world of hardware...currently.

elwoodblues914C5

27 Jul 2016

QVprod wrote: But essentially, if you really just want the Motif XS sounds (though it has less waveforms than the Motif XS so sounds a little different) this may work for you.
According to what I discovered today,the waveform amounts between the previous MX version vs. the V2 of MX....differs dramatically.I found this on Yamaha's website;

Here is what I had found on Sweetwater's website;

I have however,considered the possibility,that Sweetwater's specs on their product page could be an error,but if not...then this is very exciting news and this really illustrates what a tremendous vlaue the new MX-series is!! :cool:

elwoodblues914C5

27 Jul 2016

Well....I managed to find the MX V2 version on Yamaha's website and according to their specs,it is in fact,only 166MB worth of ROM.The Motif XS is getting quite old at this point,so you would think,that since the MOX6 is now discontinued,that the re-launched MX series would have the 355MB of ROM!
Yamaha are a hoard of greedy c**ksuckers...I just developed an instant hatred for this company.
:thumbs_down: :evil:

elwoodblues914C5

27 Jul 2016

Recently,I spoke with my sales engineer @ Sweetwater,about their specs on the MX61 V2 and he said...that the info came from Yamaha.Yet however,the MX line is based on the Motif XS...so for the MX to have 741MB of ROM is absurd,because the XS had 355MB.
I also noticed something very odd,which is in one of Yamaha's MX V2 promo videos,a Motif XF appeared....just more marketing bullshit,I guess.

• Information