FM4

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
bitword

28 Jun 2016

Any love for FM4 here? Just wondering - the bass sounds remind me a lot of some of the basses I programmed in my now broken v50 from ages ago. Really enjoy it. Just thought I'd remind people of it's retro-FM vibe :D

Cheers

jonheal

28 Jun 2016

I like it a lot. I don't understand it at all but you don't have to turn too many knobs before you've got something really weird sounding.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

bitword

28 Jun 2016

It's a lot like this:

http://www.vintagesynth.com/yamaha/v50.php

At least to my ears, I can re-create a lot of those sounds. It's fun - and yes, quick to make some weird sounds - a lot quicker than the v50 was with all those tiny menus... I sooooooo don't miss the UI hehehe

fieldframe
RE Developer

28 Jun 2016

FM4 didn't blow me away at first, but I'm glad I took a chance on it. I use it here and there for everything, but lately it seems to have become my go-to for arps. It seems to excel at sounds that are just harsh enough to fit nicely in a mix; I don't have to soak the thing with a lowpass filter all the time like I do the PX7. :)

dvdrtldg

29 Jun 2016

Excellent for nasty basses and woozy, seasick alien pads. Plus it has the sort of interface I love, simple and functional

stp2015

29 Jun 2016

It could use triangle and saw waves, though.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 5 mediante Tapatalk

Despondo
Competition Winner

29 Jun 2016

bitword wrote:Any love for FM4 here? Just wondering - the bass sounds remind me a lot of some of the basses I programmed in my now broken v50 from ages ago. Really enjoy it. Just thought I'd remind people of it's retro-FM vibe :D

Cheers
I have a V50! I wish it had the same parameter value scales that the other Yamaha FM synths had so that it would be easier to recreate the sounds in this RE. So far, I have not attempted too many recreations, but I'm going to try again soon.

Despondo
Competition Winner

29 Jun 2016

BTW, here is my Yamaha V50 soundcloud page:

https://soundcloud.com/xenov50

All songs I composed on the V50 in the late 80's. Going to add more when I get them re-recorded in Reason. :-)

bitword

29 Jun 2016

Despondo wrote:BTW, here is my Yamaha V50 soundcloud page:

https://soundcloud.com/xenov50

All songs I composed on the V50 in the late 80's. Going to add more when I get them re-recorded in Reason. :-)
Thanks for posting those! Nice tunes - really enjoyed listening - 'Running' has that shaker I remember oh so well :)

Cheers

Despondo
Competition Winner

30 Jun 2016

bitword wrote: 'Running' has that shaker I remember oh so well :)
Oh yeah....Limited drum sounds on the V50. :-)

bitword

30 Jun 2016

Limited drums, but they still hold a special place in my heart - gotta love some of the kicks, they are so thin, but great to layer with! I used to use that shaker too much, still like it though... dunno what it is about it, but I do plan to get mine fixed some day.... Might just need a new battery, but I know the floppy drive is kaput too.

Despondo
Competition Winner

30 Jun 2016

bitword wrote:Limited drums, but they still hold a special place in my heart - gotta love some of the kicks, they are so thin, but great to layer with! I used to use that shaker too much, still like it though... dunno what it is about it, but I do plan to get mine fixed some day.... Might just need a new battery, but I know the floppy drive is kaput too.
My battery died, so I bought a replacement (can't remember the name of the place), but it was a pain to solder, so I left it out. I just boot up without and then load up one of the songs via floppy, and it seems to work. I also hooked it up to an older laptop running the Steem Atari emulator with YSEDITOR like this guy:

https://jimatwood.wordpress.com/2010/09 ... eem-atari/

So far, it seems to work. I now need to try to convert some patches over to FM4. I also plan on sampling the drums as well. My ultimate goal is to get my old V50 songs into Reason and sounding the same.

dioxide

21 Jun 2020

I've been using this today, and it's a good synth. Only one thing. It seems to not work correctly when connected to a Matrix. Can anyone confirm this? To get it working properly I had to put it inside a Combinator.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2020

dioxide wrote:
21 Jun 2020
I've been using this today, and it's a good synth. Only one thing. It seems to not work correctly when connected to a Matrix. Can anyone confirm this? To get it working properly I had to put it inside a Combinator.
Working for me. What are you trying to do?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

dioxide

21 Jun 2020

MrFigg wrote:
21 Jun 2020
dioxide wrote:
21 Jun 2020
Only to play it using a Matrix. You need to open up the Release on some of the Operators to hear the problem.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2020

dioxide wrote:
21 Jun 2020
MrFigg wrote:
21 Jun 2020

Only to play it using a Matrix. You need to open up the Release on some of the Operators to hear the problem.
Aaa. I didn’t know that you were doing that too. I just switched off my PC. Need to get out. I’ll check early tomorrow if nobody else can help you. Tell me what you want me to open and switch and stuff.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

dioxide

21 Jun 2020

Here is a Combinator file that shows the problem. Two Matrixes connected to two FM4s. They should sound the same but they don't.
Attachments
BUG EXAMPLE.zip
(2.83 KiB) Downloaded 42 times

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2020

dioxide wrote:
21 Jun 2020
Here is a Combinator file that shows the problem. Two Matrixes connected to two FM4s. They should sound the same but they don't.
Hmmm...yeah...see what you mean. Hmmmm. Sorry...no idea really.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Benedict
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2020

I worked on the Beta and it is a nice intro to FM. Some limits but some sense of easing the path too.

Sadly as a business the Dev behaved dishonorably in not paying their testers, I found genuine bugs and made patches but they still declined a license as is standard. The only person I know of who got paid, made a PITA of himself and they gave him a license. I was further insulted when they declined the patches saying they never wanted them but I could donate them to a community bank to help them out! I threw the sound away rather than give them any more of my value. I would have deleted my vid too if it wasn't in my favor to keep it seeing it was the only one at the time.

If there were enough interest, I could bundle this up (maybe with a few other devices I have) for a few $. It is one of my own a 4-Op semi-modular FM synth that rather than having pre-set algorithms relies on patching cables. It is not 100% DX in sound or style but covers most of the core FM ground pretty well.

:-)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Jun 2020

dioxide wrote:
21 Jun 2020
Just thought about it a bit more. Send the combi to Primal Audio. They’ve always been really decent with me when I’ve asked them stuff.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

22 Jun 2020

FM4 is one of my favorite synths. And it's actually the only FM synth I've enjoyed working with. It's exactly how I want a synth be. Just enough options, easy to work with and understand, easy to get results. Looks good too. The lo-fi section is also a big plus that adds character.
Man I just felt a sudden urge to play with around with this synth again. Haven't used it that much lately.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Jun 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
22 Jun 2020
FM4 is one of my favorite synths. And it's actually the only FM synth I've enjoyed working with. It's exactly how I want a synth be. Just enough options, easy to work with and understand, easy to get results. Looks good too. The lo-fi section is also a big plus that adds character.
Man I just felt a sudden urge to play with around with this synth again. Haven't used it that much lately.
Agree. I really like it too. Maybe you could check out that combi and see if you’ve got any idea what’s going wrong? It’s weird.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

22 Jun 2020

MrFigg wrote:
22 Jun 2020
TritoneAddiction wrote:
22 Jun 2020
Agree. I really like it too. Maybe you could check out that combi and see if you’ve got any idea what’s going wrong? It’s weird.
I don't think I'm the right person for this. I'm probably the least qualified person to troubleshoot anything technically related, especially if Matrix is involved. During all my years with Reason I've never even touched that thing.

dioxide

22 Jun 2020

MrFigg wrote:
22 Jun 2020
Just thought about it a bit more. Send the combi to Primal Audio. They’ve always been really decent with me when I’ve asked them stuff.
I've sent them a message on Facebook offering to send the file, as I can't upload it to Messenger for some reason. The only contact options on their website are through social media. Lets see what they say and if they will be happy to fix it.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Jun 2020

dioxide wrote:
22 Jun 2020
MrFigg wrote:
22 Jun 2020
I've sent them a message on Facebook offering to send the file, as I can't upload it to Messenger for some reason. The only contact options on their website are through social media. Lets see what they say and if they will be happy to fix it.
Just in case...from the FM4 manual:

“ TROUBLESHOOTING

In the case of bugs, freezes, and/or cashes DO NOT open FM4 an attempt to fix it yourself. Instead we recommend that you contact your local Primal Audio dealer or write to us directly at support@primal-audio.com. ;)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information