RE Blackout Purchasing

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Namahs Amrak

18 Jan 2015

After going into my account and actually counting the number of RE's I have, I am a bit shocked to see that I have 22 of them ! And none of those are even the free CV stuff that is available - although I got Janitor today from 'Lectric Panda for nix.

Here I am under the assumption that I neither need nor want many REs, yet strangely I have amassed 22 of them. A couple of them were free, or discounted but most were full price.

Blamsoft DC-1 Distortion
Blamsoft DC-9 Overdrive
Blamsoft Tube Distortion
Etch Red Dual Filter
Chenille Chorus Ensemble
Steerpike Delay Ensemble
Titus Delay
Korg MonoPoly
Kuassa Vermillion amp sim
Microtune
Peff Spacre
Audiocraptic
Parsec
Polar pitch shifter
Pulsar dual LFO
Synchronous
Ivoks synth
Eculid Rhythm Generator
Softube Saturation
TMC Distortion Chain
TMC Phaser

Valuable tools or toys to create distraction? I'm feeling a bit more drawn towards guitar lately, and sometimes it's just a lot more satisfying to pick up an instrument, crank up the distortion and play for a few hours. Apart from JP's wonderful BBD Steerpike (my most recent buy), none of the other RE's are required for guitar. Time to put a 2015 ban on RE purchases, I think.... well after one more little taste.. then I'll stop, honest.

My Words are my ART

tibah

18 Jan 2015

Welcome to G.A.S. ;)

I got about 21, including the freebies like Saturation Knob, Morfin FX, Synchronous, Pulsar, CV Suite Line Processor. Every purchase I made was for a good reason. I ended up buying 2 Reverbs, Uhbik-A and TSAR-1R, not my initial plan, but different enough for both to have a right to sit in my rack! :)

Things change. People have different phases. One day I like to noodle with synths only and the next day is me going crazy with cutting and processing samples. At the end, I try to combine both worlds currently more and also for you, playing guitar and doing random noodles with CV or processing may lead to new song ideas. 

CephaloPod

18 Jan 2015

I've got WAY too many of them and have decided to stop buying new ones, unless it's a fantastic synth that does something new/interesting.  I wouldn't go back on any of my synth RE purchases, I almost view purchasing those as if I'm purchasing a new sound bank, plus the ability to program a new synth if I desire.  

I have WAY overestimated the amount of time I'm willing to invest in wiring, CV, programing, so I have purchased quite a few gadget type RE's that are very cool concepts, but I don't use much.  

If I added it all up, it would be a lot of money.  But if I added up all the money I spent on beer, or going to the movies, or going out to lunch for the past two years, it would be a lot more!

My main reason for halting further purchases is that I just have TOO MUCH stuff now.

edited to add:  Except the new Ochen K RE that's coming out.  I HAVE to have that!
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

tibah

18 Jan 2015

Lovely exceptions! :D

CephaloPod

18 Jan 2015

emotica wrote:Lovely exceptions! :D
What can I say, I'm still in the "bargaining stage."
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

tibah

18 Jan 2015

I have all the *possible* goodies bookmarked in Chrome. LittleLFO comes to mind, loads of fun with the FM/AM capabilities. Then I probably could need a gate, and there are just 2 in the shop. Had a guitarist and my friend recording vocals and both sessions could have benefit from a gate, but Essentials has none, but in the same time recording session are pretty rare around here, so...

Then there is stuff like Predator with all the presets, being a nice multi-fx too. Already went with Antidote. I loved Predator as a plug-in, but back when I tried the first RE incarnation it wasn't that great.

Then there is PX7 as well...

Glad I'm not that much into CV! :D

You get the idea. ;)

tt_lab

18 Jan 2015

CephaloPod wrote:I've got WAY too many of them and have decided to stop buying new ones, unless it's a fantastic synth that does something new/interesting.  I wouldn't go back on any of my synth RE purchases, I almost view purchasing those as if I'm purchasing a new sound bank, plus the ability to program a new synth if I desire.  

I have WAY overestimated the amount of time I'm willing to invest in wiring, CV, programing, so I have purchased quite a few gadget type RE's that are very cool concepts, but I don't use much.  

If I added it all up, it would be a lot of money.  But if I added up all the money I spent on beer, or going to the movies, or going out to lunch for the past two years, it would be a lot more!

My main reason for halting further purchases is that I just have TOO MUCH stuff now.

edited to add:  Except the new Ochen K RE that's coming out.  I HAVE to have that!
I say the same thing to myself...but cool stuff keeps coming and cannot stop purchasing :crazy:

electrochoc (PRX-A)

18 Jan 2015

Oh boy... I have the obscene number of 69 of them right now (pun intended! :s0238: )!

But I don't feel they are a distraction... Once I've bought a RE, it just became one of my available tools... Many of them became my go-to devices for different functions, notably in the CV department: I flip the rack very often for CV manipulation, and the Reason stock devices related to CV are pretty limited... I also have many synths, but I know usually which one to use to get the sound I have in mind.

Trying many REs though, notably while massive sales happen like those we had in December, I feel that as being a distraction! Exploring a synth is time-consuming, and it's time you don't put on "real music".

I must say that, even if I didn't upgrade yet to Reason 7 or 8 for other reasons, the fact that I won't really be able to try/get most of the new Rack Extensions (the SDK 2 ones) is not a bad thing in my case: I'll have more time to focuss on music, and less on shopping for tools!
This comment is provided courtesy of PRX-A!

zeebot

18 Jan 2015

I think I'm done with REs for now, I have all I need.
Just waiting for the hybrid user loadable wavetable/granular synth with convolution reverb made by props :D
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

Yorick

18 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:After going into my account and actually counting the number of RE's I have, I am a bit shocked to see that I have 22 of them ! And none of those are even the free CV stuff that is available - although I got Janitor today from 'Lectric Panda for nix.

Here I am under the assumption that I neither need nor want many REs, yet strangely I have amassed 22 of them. A couple of them were free, or discounted but most were full price.

Blamsoft DC-1 Distortion
Blamsoft DC-9 Overdrive
Blamsoft Tube Distortion
Etch Red Dual Filter
Chenille Chorus Ensemble
Steerpike Delay Ensemble
Titus Delay
Korg MonoPoly
Kuassa Vermillion amp sim
Microtune
Peff Spacre
Audiocraptic
Parsec
Polar pitch shifter
Pulsar dual LFO
Synchronous
Ivoks synth
Eculid Rhythm Generator
Softube Saturation
TMC Distortion Chain
TMC Phaser

Valuable tools or toys to create distraction? I'm feeling a bit more drawn towards guitar lately, and sometimes it's just a lot more satisfying to pick up an instrument, crank up the distortion and play for a few hours. Apart from JP's wonderful BBD Steerpike (my most recent buy), none of the other RE's are required for guitar. Time to put a 2015 ban on RE purchases, I think.... well after one more little taste.. then I'll stop, honest.

GAS... the struggle is real!

Sinistereo

18 Jan 2015

Thirty something RE's. Only regret one or two. I'm still in for far less than the cost of a workstation. Fantastic value when it comes right down to it.

That's my rationalization and I'm sticking to it!

Namahs Amrak

18 Jan 2015

If you had asked me two days ago, I would have said I'm immune to GAS. But come to think of it, I have four guitars also. Why the fuck do I have four guitars? I only have one pair of hands !

Time to Find a GAS Anonymous 12-step meeting.
My Words are my ART

Yorick

18 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:If you had asked me two days ago, I would have said I'm immune to GAS. But come to think of it, I have four guitars also. Why the fuck do I have four guitars? I only have one pair of hands !

Time to Find a GAS Anonymous 12-step meeting.
Man, I hear you. I have 4 electrics, a baritone, two electric basses, two acoustic guitars and an upright bass.
And I keep looking at guitars on ebay wtf??
And so of course all my personally tailored google and facebook ads are for..... Gear.... 

Namahs Amrak

18 Jan 2015

Yorick wrote: Man, I hear you. I have 4 electrics, a baritone, two electric basses, two acoustic guitars and an upright bass.
That's not so out of control though, for a career musician such as you are. A tradesman needs his tools.
My Words are my ART

zeebot

19 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:Why the fuck do I have four guitars? I only have one pair of hands !
But you also have a pair of feet! at least I assume you have feet?
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

JNeffLind

19 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:Why the fuck do I have four guitars? I only have one pair of hands !

Alternate tunings my man! I keep all my guitars in different tunings for noodling out riffs. If you're new to alt tunings start with DADGAD. Very easy to get cool chords/harmonies there. If that seems too much, even playing in Drop D or double drop D can make a world of difference. Happy exploring!

Namahs Amrak

20 Jan 2015

zeebot wrote: But you also have a pair of feet! at least I assume you have feet?
I do, and only own one pair of shoes ! Why do people need more than one pair, unless they have more than one pair of feet ? Seems wasteful.

JNeffLind wrote: Alternate tunings my man! I keep all my guitars in different tunings for noodling out riffs. If you're new to alt tunings start with DADGAD. Very easy to get cool chords/harmonies there. If that seems too much, even playing in Drop D or double drop D can make a world of difference. Happy exploring!
Actually one of them is set up to be permanently three semitones down (the key of DOOM!) and another is tuned for droning strings for when I want to riff out on some world music. The third is standard, and I'm going to heavily modify a cheap Squier this year for sympathetic strings, to build something similar to this:

My Words are my ART

JNeffLind

20 Jan 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:
:thumbup: :t2018: :thumbup: :t2018: :thumbup: :t2018: :thumbup: :t2018: :thumbup: :t2018: :thumbup: :t2018: :thumbup: :t2018: :thumbup: :t2018: :thumbup: :t2018: :thumbup: :t2018:

motuscott

20 Jan 2015

zeebot wrote: But you also have a pair of feet! at least I assume you have feet?
I do, and only own one pair of shoes ! Why do people need more than one pair, unless they have more than one pair of feet ? Seems wasteful.

JNeffLind wrote: Image 
You buy me one now please Mommy!
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

dvdrtldg

20 Jan 2015

140 REs

0 regrets

tibah

21 Jan 2015

I remember 3(?) bigger sales in 2014. Then, introduction prices when a new RE comes, mostly.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

21 Jan 2015

I'm on the 40'ish, but price-wise it doesn't compare to hardware...
I'm trying to calm down and get ready for a Softube sale with the tubetechs...

Ah, and talking about G.A.S. ....
This will be my next crazy non-reason musica purchase:

Grinder One

21 Jan 2015

On a side note(I didn't wanna start a new thread for this but want to submit my first post)

I'm relatively new to RE's although I've used Reason for years, and so I've spent a lot of time recently in the shop looking through all the different options and buying the odd 1 or 2. Anyway, I always look at the back panel as I do like my CV. So after a good look, I constantly find myself pressing TAB to flip back to the front, before remembering that I'm in the shop, not the rack. Sometimes it drives me quite mad :)
Anyone else guilty of this ?

Mart.

Exowildebeest

21 Jan 2015

Grinder One wrote:On a side note(I didn't wanna start a new thread for this but want to submit my first post)

I'm relatively new to RE's although I've used Reason for years, and so I've spent a lot of time recently in the shop looking through all the different options and buying the odd 1 or 2. Anyway, I always look at the back panel as I do like my CV. So after a good look, I constantly find myself pressing TAB to flip back to the front, before remembering that I'm in the shop, not the rack. Sometimes it drives me quite mad :)
Anyone else guilty of this ?

Mart.
Honestly? This is getting old. You're not the only one. It's a cliché! Speak no more of it :P

Bigsby

21 Jan 2015

I have a bunch of guitars.  They all sound different!

As far as REs go, my rule is the same for any music gear purchase.  If there's a sale on something I know I'll use, I buy it.  Otherwise, I wait until I face some specific problem or situation that I know something will solve, then I'll pay full price.  I don't waste the "try" period on just fooling around with an RE.  I might need to try it down the road for some specific thing!  I bought most of the Softube REs on sale as I know I will absolutely use them.  That tsar-1 reverb sounds beautiful.

• Information