Engl sound in Reason

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
jfrichards

06 May 2015

I'm interested in getting an Engl sound in Reason.  Has anyone done it yet?  Here is where I'm at using multiple Kuassa amps.  One is a Creme, and the other is two Vermilions going into Creme cabs:

http://phead.mu/s/WDzJxRLe

If you don't have Spacre, here it is:
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... ank-plate/
but you don't need it.
Attachments
Kuassa_Engl.cmb.zip
(102.73 KiB) Downloaded 81 times

jfrichards

07 May 2015

Just in case you don't know what's up with Engl, here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqMEeW5lRtw

I have a long way to go... but I'm not giving up.

MetalKris

07 May 2015

Love the sound he's switching on starting at 4:20 (the high gain).
What's your main goal, the clean or the "dirty" sound?

jfrichards

07 May 2015

MetalKris wrote:Love the sound he's switching on starting at 4:20 (the high gain).
What's your main goal, the clean or the "dirty" sound?
The dirty ones with heavy bass.  4:20 exactly.  And 8:00.  Engl does a fabulous Fender clean and a stunning Marshall monster but then it goes one step further with the heavy metal-style distortion.  That's what I want.  It's a multi-stage tube thing with parallel amp chains too.  It floods the brain and vibrates the gut.  The head alone is $3200.

They really understand tubes.
Attachments
engl_tubes.png
engl_tubes.png (285.94 KiB) Viewed 2220 times

Ocean of Waves

07 May 2015

I'm recording a ENGL Savage 120 alongside a Peavy 5150 for our new album, it compliments the Peavy nicely with its low-end. Our last album was done with a ENGL Powerball alone and this new setup is definitely better sounding.

jfrichards

07 May 2015

Ocean of Waves wrote:I'm recording a ENGL Savage 120 alongside a Peavy 5150 for our new album...
I'm jealous.  I'd love to get to 75% of that sound inside Reason.  My Amplitube Metal does it, so it can be done in software.  When Jason Last Alternative finishes his album, I'm hoping he can work on it too.  He's got a good ear for guitar tone design inside Reason.

MetalKris

07 May 2015

Ocean of Waves wrote:I'm recording a ENGL Savage 120 alongside a Peavy 5150 for our new album...
jfrichards wrote: I'm jealous.  I'd love to get to 75% of that sound inside Reason.  My Amplitube Metal does it, so it can be done in software.  When Jason Last Alternative finishes his album, I'm hoping he can work on it too.  He's got a good ear for guitar tone design inside Reason.
Well, I'm in with 75% of your 75%!  :s0230:
I am actually not that good in Reason but would love to learn (very few free time to dedicate to, and have to share it also to real-guitar playing)... anyhow, about 1 year ago or so, a great guy from the PUF made me hear the sound he achieved with the std racks of Reason. Simply amazing. He was replicating the sound of Chuck Schuldiner from Death.

jfrichards

09 May 2015

Here's a tri-amp setup in Reason.  Vermilion amp C on overdrive with everything on 10, Revival Silver High Gain amp with 4x12 White cab, and Softube Crunch amp with Room cab and both gains on 10 with boost.  It's a nice Marshall sound.  It seems Reason needs Creme to go into Engl territory.  Maybe two Cremes, a Vermilion, a Revival Blue and a Revival Silver?

http://phead.mu/s/2dBbKIcX

gak

09 May 2015

Before last night, I'd never seen an ENGL. They had one at GC and I plugged in. It was a powerball II...I almost cried it sounded so good. 

I can get a knarly tone out of the Kuassa stuff but now I hope to win the lottery, get out of this living situation, and get a powerball II. 

odarmonix

10 May 2015

MetalKris wrote:Well, I'm in with 75% of your 75%!  :s0230:
I am actually not that good in Reason but would love to learn (very few free time to dedicate to, and have to share it also to real-guitar playing)... anyhow, about 1 year ago or so, a great guy from the PUF made me hear the sound he achieved with the std racks of Reason. Simply amazing. He was replicating the sound of Chuck Schuldiner from Death.
Holy sh*t, you still remember that old demo ?? I was far from thinking it would make such an impression to you ! :s0230:

jfrichards

10 May 2015

odarmonix wrote:...
Holy sh*t, you still remember that old demo ?? I was far from thinking it would make such an impression to you ! :s0230:
That sound certainly has one of the components of an Engl going on.  How did you make it?

odarmonix

10 May 2015

jfrichards wrote:That sound certainly has one of the components of an Engl going on.  How did you make it?
Funnily enough, the effect Combinator I used to get this result isn't even supposed to faithfully recreate any Engl amp, it's only vaguely inspired from Amplitube's model of the Fender MH 500. To put it another way, it doesn't even deserve to be referred to as "proper amp-modelling" ... but of course the fact it sounds good to other people's ears as well as mine is the only thing that really matters in the end.

If you want more details about the above-mentionned patch and its cousins, I invite you to continue this discussion via PM, mostly because I don't want to derail this thread. ;)

jfrichards

10 May 2015

odarmonix wrote:...If you want more details about the above-mentionned patch and its cousins, I invite you to continue this discussion via PM, mostly because I don't want to derail this thread. ;)
The way I'm hearing it, your MH500 inspired patch has some of the smooth low-mid distortion that is one of the numerous components of a cranked up Engl.  The topic of this thread is how to assemble an Engl sound using the components available in Reason, so your method is right on topic, if you care to share any of it.  Your patch doesn't have that insane low chunk attack of an Engl, or the searing bell-like clarity in the upper midrange (like a Twin maxed out) but it has that cool smooth part that I can't get out of the Vermilion or Creme.  If it's a Line6 patch with Scream or something like that, that would be cool.  I'm thinking it will take several Reason amps in parallel to get near to the Engl.

odarmonix

10 May 2015

jfrichards wrote:The way I'm hearing it, your MH500 inspired patch has some of the smooth low-mid distortion that is one of the numerous components of a cranked up Engl.  The topic of this thread is how to assemble an Engl sound using the components available in Reason, so your method is right on topic, if you care to share any of it.  Your patch doesn't have that insane low chunk attack of an Engl, or the searing bell-like clarity in the upper midrange (like a Twin maxed out) but it has that cool smooth part that I can't get out of the Vermilion or Creme.  If it's a Line6 patch with Scream or something like that, that would be cool.  I'm thinking it will take several Reason amps in parallel to get near to the Engl.
There are many other reasons I don't want to share those patches publicly or reveal too many details about them (at least not right now), the main one being that I'm absolutely not the kind of guitar player and amp user anyone would automatically expect by hearing what I do. You'll either be astonished or seriously disappointed after hearing the truth about my guitar work, provided you really want to hear it.

The only thing I can tell you about my patches for now is that they were made back in 2010, using every possible stock device (except the Line 6 amps) to imitate typical guitar amp and stomp components. The L6 aren't exactly bad, I've just always found them terribly underwhelming feature-wise and I never felt like investing in L6 hardware or Pod Farm to overcome this. Instead, I wanted to see how far I could go in recreating popular guitar effects by wiring a whole bunch of stock Reason devices together. Obviously, things have changed a bit with the introduction of REs.

Oh BTW, the patch I used for the audio demo above is actually based on the Mesa Triple Rectifier, not the MH500 ... I guess this says a lot about my actual "knowledge" on guitar amps. :s0959:

MetalKris

11 May 2015

odarmonix wrote: Oh BTW, the patch I used for the audio demo above is actually based on the Mesa Triple Rectifier, not the MH500 ... I guess this says a lot about my actual "knowledge" on guitar amps. :s0959:
Hi Nik! Good to see you again!
Don't worry, I wasn't even aware of the existence of Fender's MH! :)
And I am supposed to be a guitar player! :D

EddieG

26 May 2015

Bridge Humbucker
I go into a tube preamp with 2 outs and a mono out
Creme on the one side, vermillion on the other
takes some tweaking  per guitar on each plugin
blend in the direct mono and the others to a bus

Start with a PRS, or tame the tone on your guitar
My PRS sounds similar to his on the video clean-
Neutral clean tone with bridge humbucker -not fender tele/strat bright, which
my PRS can also do
I did  try to emulate my bogner red ch with a tele with some success
using the Kuassa plugins and compressors
Creme has all the gain you need
Vermillion I swear sometimes sounds like a live amp
Do they blend?
Yes they do !

EdItEd: I use the Pulverizer, the MEQ and the MComp to get a cood clear sound like an clean amp
stratcatfl in the house !

gak

28 May 2015

BTW, brainworx/plugin alliance has released two ENGL ensembles that were part of the UAD program to native.

I'm not in the market for anything that doesn't work with reason right now, but some of the demos did indeed have a nice tone.

EddieG

29 May 2015

added
Thankjs for the combi Jon
Great fun to play with

I turned down all the gains and went from OVD to CLN  on one Vermillin
I turned off one of the overdrives
set all speakers to son 12
tweaked a lot of gating
SOunds like a killer  amp rig to me
Thanks again
stratcatfl in the house !

CharlyCharlzz

29 May 2015

one thing I notice is that the lows are centered and there is a reverb on the sides that play a high freq distortion on most of these sounds .
maybe try with some line6 will you still can haha ;)
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

• Information