M-Audio Oxygen 61 question

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
deepndark

17 Jun 2016

Ok, I have been setting up my new midi-keyboard (M-Audio Oxygen 61).
The channel 10 needs to be used. Anyway, is the "auto" only way to get my keyboard controlling devices?
If you know a way that also is mapped for Reason use, other than "auto" - then let me know.

orthodox
RE Developer

17 Jun 2016

Channel 10 for keyboard? AFAIK, only by changing "Global Channel" on Oxygens.
Btw, Oxygen mk4(black) or mk3(blue)? The mk4 has pads which always use Ch10.
IMO, the best way is to use DirectLink, but I am not sure mk4 model is supported by Reason, it's not in the list.

deepndark

17 Jun 2016

orthodox wrote:Channel 10 for keyboard? AFAIK, only by changing "Global Channel" on Oxygens.
Btw, Oxygen mk4(black) or mk3(blue)? The mk4 has pads which always use Ch10.
IMO, the best way is to use DirectLink, but I am not sure mk4 model is supported by Reason, it's not in the list.
I bought a MK4 (black). You're right, it seems my keyboard uses the mk3 one. The "auto" works a bit weird, the mapping doesn't make sense the way it is created. As example the drum pads of Kong are triggered here and there instead of from 1-8.
Thank you for the answer. :thumbs_up:

orthodox
RE Developer

17 Jun 2016

deepndark wrote:the drum pads of Kong are triggered here and there instead of from 1-8.
You can program them manually to notes you like as described in the manual "Assigning a Note to a Button". Then save it to the preset (10). If something goes wrong, you can always restore factory settings.

deepndark

17 Jun 2016

orthodox wrote:
deepndark wrote:the drum pads of Kong are triggered here and there instead of from 1-8.
You can program them manually to notes you like as described in the manual "Assigning a Note to a Button". Then save it to the preset (10). If something goes wrong, you can always restore factory settings.
In the Oxygen or Reason manual?

orthodox
RE Developer

17 Jun 2016

deepndark wrote:In the Oxygen or Reason manual?
Oxygen61-UserGuide-v1.1.pdf downloaded from http://m-audio.com/support/documents

deepndark

17 Jun 2016

orthodox wrote:
deepndark wrote:In the Oxygen or Reason manual?
Oxygen61-UserGuide-v1.1.pdf downloaded from http://m-audio.com/support/documents
Yeah, I downloaded this yesterday and already read some things. I'll need to put some time into it and learn more. Thanks!
Hey, do you also have Oxygen?

orthodox
RE Developer

17 Jun 2016

No, I have Axiom 25 mk2 (I cannot play with two hands anyway :)). I disassembled and examined it many times. Hope I've learned everything about it.

deepndark

17 Jun 2016

orthodox wrote:No, I have Axiom 25 mk2 (I cannot play with two hands anyway :)). I disassembled and examined it many times. Hope I've learned everything about it.
Ok, I had 5 octave one before I got my Oxygen, which also has 61 keys. It's a bit weird but I like this new one a lot more. Not regretting at all. :D

orthodox
RE Developer

17 Jun 2016

I haven't had a chance to try Oxygen mk4. I've only heard that the keys feel better than on mk3. And now they have illuminated pads.

Gorgon

17 Jun 2016

The Oxygen pads correspond to certain notes. It's a stupid design.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

orthodox
RE Developer

17 Jun 2016

Gorgon wrote:The Oxygen pads correspond to certain notes. It's a stupid design.
What is the smart alternative to that?

They actually correspond to anything they (each pad individually) have been programmed to, notes, CC, whatever.

Gorgon

19 Jun 2016

orthodox wrote:
Gorgon wrote:The Oxygen pads correspond to certain notes. It's a stupid design.
What is the smart alternative to that?

They actually correspond to anything they (each pad individually) have been programmed to, notes, CC, whatever.
pads.png
pads.png (59.22 KiB) Viewed 4251 times
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

pushedbutton

19 Jun 2016

I bought a MK4. it's wank. Not a patch on Mk3. I don't often swear on here but those pads are fucking useless shit. I've spent countless hours talking to M-Audio about getting this fixed and they say it's up to Props to fix it and Props (correctly) say it's up to M-Audio to provide them with the remote file for it.
If I were you I'd get your money back.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

orthodox
RE Developer

19 Jun 2016

Gorgon wrote:
pads.png
Ok, I was probably wrong. The phrase "...assignable knobs, pads, and faders" confused me. I'm so used to having them assignable on my Axiom that I couldn't even think they were not.

Gorgon

20 Jun 2016

orthodox wrote:
Gorgon wrote:
pads.png
Ok, I was probably wrong. The phrase "...assignable knobs, pads, and faders" confused me. I'm so used to having them assignable on my Axiom that I couldn't even think they were not.
More like ASS-ignable. :D

Gorgon

20 Jun 2016

pushedbutton wrote:I bought a MK4. it's wank. Not a patch on Mk3. I don't often swear on here but those pads are fucking useless shit. I've spent countless hours talking to M-Audio about getting this fixed and they say it's up to Props to fix it and Props (correctly) say it's up to M-Audio to provide them with the remote file for it.
If I were you I'd get your money back.
Yeah, I'd never have bought the damn thing if I had known that the pads were set up this way. How the hell can you expect that in this age? I think I'll sell it and hope that the buyer is not too intelligent.

Lizard

21 Jun 2016

Isn't there a tool to create your own mappings for M-Audio devices? If I recall there was one when I owned one. As it was said earlier Preset 10 is what the remote maps defaults its values to. These have corresponding MIDI CC values by default right? Each preset of course has different assigned values for sliders, buttons and pads. This said, you can copy preset 10 to say preset 11 (could be any other actually) and then using the editor change the CC values for those pads to suit your preference. I would suspect this is something that could be done by the user.

In another situation you could use the generic MIDI controller in Reason and create your own map off the remote file. It's actually pretty easy to do if you have the CC assignments written out and use Reason documentation to assign targets.

Of course I don't have one in front of me and the problems you all are encountering may be a bigger problem. No would consider the two ideas I mentioned if you are having trouble. You should only have to do them once and you will get an opportunity to understand Remote a bit more in the process. Good luck

orthodox
RE Developer

21 Jun 2016

Lizard wrote:Each preset of course has different assigned values for sliders, buttons and pads.
With this particular model this is not the case. Presets do not contain pads at all. Pads always send the same set of notes. Never CC.

deepndark

21 Jun 2016

I contacted the Props, and they said I should contact M-Audio to get a support for Oxygen 61 MK4 - So I did, hopefully they make a proper remote support for Reason.

deepndark

03 Jan 2017

Ok, yeah, I made a phonecall to M-audio USA 5 months ago and got my request through, but if they ignore it then they're bag of dicks. :evil:

oneway

08 Feb 2017

Hello, I had the same problem with the pads. But this blog post gave me an idea:
https://www.propellerheads.se/blog/rema ... l-drum-kit

So i have build a combinator preset. This combinator routes the note value through 8 thors. These thors trigger the kong.

So here is the patch:
Attachments
Kong-Oxygen61.zip
Kong Combinator Preset for the Oxygen61 Pads
(4.45 KiB) Downloaded 99 times

pushedbutton

11 Feb 2017

Cool,
that's a nice workaround. I think M-Audio have listened to the feedback about this product and instead of doing anything helpful have come up with the M-Audio Code line of products which should be more flexible. Will I buy one? Will I fuck.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

CloudsOfSound

09 Feb 2019

I had some trouble with my Akai MPKMini Mk2, it suddenly stopped sustaining notes that I played on the keys.
After doing a re-install of the firmware, removing it from Reason and re-adding it, then it suddenly worked again, for a session or two, then it started acting up like this again.

It was so annoying that a couple of days ago I threw it in the floor and crushed the thing with a big hammer, bits and pieces flying all over the place. It was a really satisfying experience. 😜

Then I purchased a replacement, a M-Audio Oxygen 25 IV, I figured, M-Audio and DirectLink has been around for ages so they probably work just fine, but as mentioned in this thread, it is NOT doing what it should in Reason. 🙏

I get the transport buttons to work when enabling the "auto" button, but the all the knobs and pads are all over the place! WTF??
Guess I'll end up manually re-mapping the knobs and pads into different presets for various parts of Reason's devices and areas to get it working, but that's a PITA to do, and it shouldn't be necessary for end-users to have to go through that when buying a product that claims to be compatible with this and that.

Is it that hard to implement a working DirectLink configuration for the Oxygen IV series? 🤬

I have a Nektar Impact LX 61+ that I use on my desktop computer, and it has much more advanced remote control abilities than the Oxygen, but they provide an installer for every major DAW, Reason included, that actually works!

Guess I'll sell the crappy M-Audio Oxygen 25 and buy a Nektar Impact LX 25+ instead.
:reason: Reason 10 running on  MacBook Pro 16" 2019
(6-Core Intel Core i7 / AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4GB / 16GB RAM)
macOS Catalina v.10.15.2
Software Developer and Wannabe Musician

• Information