new midi keyboard

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Soft Enerji

17 Jun 2016

Okay, given that I posted about the "strange pitch bend behavior" from my Axiom 49 and the conclusion is that it's def the keyboard, I'm now looking at buying a new one. I've got workarounds in both Reason and Sonar and will probably open up the Axiom and disable the pitch wheel so I guess I'm not in a hurry but I'd like to know what others are using before I go shopping.

I really only need something similar in functionality to the Axiom and so far I've been looking at the Novation Launchkey 49, the Nektar Impact LX49 and the Alesis VI49. The Alesis is probably a non starter as from what I can see it won't automap to either Reason or Sonar.

Anyone care to chime in?

jjpscott01

17 Jun 2016

I have the both the Nektar LX49 and its little brother, the LX25. Nektar has great integration with Reason and so far its been my favorite 49 key controller in general.(I previously owned M-audios keystation, Oxygen, and Samson's Carbon49) Its well laid out and simple while still being full featured enough for most of us. The price is pretty hard to beat and ive given mine quite a good run as its the only controller ive been using in my primary studio for the past 3 years. I do like M-audio's oxygen series as well and you can grab the 49 key(both gen 3 and 4) at a great price as well. I also have the Launchkey (25 key version) and they are cool but I still feel the Nektar's have better integration and for me at least, they're much easier to look at. Hope this helps brother and good luck!
| REASON 12 | BITWIG 4 | SAMPLITUDE PRO X5 | BALANCE | AUDIENT ID4 | ERIS E5 MONITORS | ESP LTD TE-212 | MXL MICS | LES PAUL TRADITIONAL PRO II | NEKTAR T4 |[/color] :reason: :re: :PUF_balance: :refill:

QVprod

18 Jun 2016

I have a Panorama, and will happily say get the Lx49. If I didn't already have the P6 I'd consider buying an LX61.

Soft Enerji

18 Jun 2016

Thanks guys. Looking at info on the Nektar it also integrates with Sonar so at this stage I'm leaning towards it.

pjeudy

18 Jun 2016

do most Midi keyboard controllers eventually glitch ? My Oxygen pitch wheel is all over the place and the controller is constantly moving parameters around.
I swore never to by another M'Audio product, but is this an issue with KC in general? Are the more expensive brands less prone to those kind of issues?
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

Sinistereo

18 Jun 2016

I've been happy with my Arturia Keylab 61. They are often on sale for ridiculously low prices and come with a good softsynth bundle. Got mine for $250 with a full version of Bitwig (meh). For that price, it has exceeded my expectations.

I would have preferred a Panorama, but decided I really didn't need the little screen and angst over spotty support for Reason.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

18 Jun 2016

Panorama P4, great little keyboard and we keep the mappings up to date http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7491466

I went for the P4 due to space (I have Korg T1 when I need full size keyboard)

Aquila

18 Jun 2016

Interestingly I'm also looking at the LX49 so very keen to hear what others think of it

Blanka

18 Jun 2016

I have the LX49 and love it for it's budget price and nice integration into Reason. I would say the keybed and pads are not the best, but perfectly good enough in this price range, and works well for me.

O1B

18 Jun 2016

Soft Enerji wrote:... I'd like to know what others are using before I go shopping.

I really only need something similar in functionality to the Axiom and so far I've been looking at the Novation Launchkey 49, the Nektar Impact LX49 and the Alesis VI49. The Alesis is probably a non starter as from what I can see it won't automap to either Reason or Sonar.

Anyone care to chime in?
Bus Powered ?only?… no MIDI DIN out… onboard info reduced to

Basic transport control, it seems.
but for $150, there seems to be a lot of BELLS n knobs, n faders, n pads, and easy access transpose. nice.
i got the A-49 (bus only, DIN Midi port, D-Beam control, and a couple of buttons n knobs) to toss in a yoga bag.

The Lx49's price point is great, but imo Nektar's keys are no NI S-49, or Roland A-49, or even the AxPro.
….At least that was my experience trying their flagship P6 in B&H Photo.

If key action matters, i hope it's updated and doable.
…. sure would be nice of Behringer to release their Motor series already …

swamptooth

04 Jul 2016

I highly recommend the Samson Graphite 49.
Major pluses - aftertouch, 5 midi ports through usb, external power, midi out din, 16 assignable buttons.
Major drawbacks - endless rotaries that don't sweep well, no expression pedal jack, lackluster editing software.
For aftertouch alone, at its price point, it's a great bargain.
Last edited by swamptooth on 04 Jul 2016, edited 1 time in total.

swamptooth

04 Jul 2016

have you tried disabling the pitch wheel??
http://community.m-audio.com/m-audio/to ... n-axiom-61

gak

04 Jul 2016

I have an LX 61 fwiw, and unless you need aftertouch it's REALLY high in value. Integrates with reason very nicely and it's complicated.....certainly is within virtually anyones budget.

I'd like a panorama, but I really hate aftertouch and don't "need" it. Especially considering the recent update (meaning they really ARE still working on it......which "we" (users) were worried about, so it's not bad at all.

Just get it from a place with a return policy JUST IN CASE. But I've had mine for 1 1/2 years and it's been solid. I also use tracktion and reaper from time to time (they are good too, except for tracktion's latest beta, which is a mess :( )

fieldframe
RE Developer

07 Jul 2016

Behringer has been teasing new Mötor videos on Twitter as if they're actually going to launch soon. It's only been 2 1/2 years since they demoed them at NAMM... :?

zabukowski

07 Jul 2016

Just got Nektar Impact LX49 few days ago - impressed with flawless Reason and Cubase/Nuendo integration. Pretty cheap considering feature set - excellent value for money.

pjeudy

19 Jul 2016

Just bought the Nektar lx 49.... have to wait a few days for delivery :-(
But I'm not spending Axiom, behringer and panorama money....for a Midi Keyboard. The $150 for the lx 49 was extreme for me..... and I will never buy anything m-Audio again even if they are a bargain.

Fingers crossed I like the Lx 49!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST

gak

20 Jul 2016

Aquila wrote:Interestingly I'm also looking at the LX49 so very keen to hear what others think of it
If you don't need aftertouch, and you want something that basically works, you'll like it. Some don't like the keys, I think ALL sub 400 keys are floppy POS. The one that isn't is the AKAI stuff, and they are TOO STIFF for me :lol:

Let's face it. I've been waiting for "that" controller for over a decade. No dice. For reason the impact does things and works. Had mine since Feb 2015, so it's pretty sturdy.

YMMV.

pjeudy

20 Jul 2016

Hahahahahah I love life !! There's nothing like it !
So I ordered the lx 49 the other day and today Nektar announced this :

The good thing is they are going for $200 and I'm not paying 200 for a Midi Keyboard.... so all is well for me :-)

gak

20 Jul 2016

beat to it

But those might be list prices.

• Information