End dubble posting

List your suggestions here for the reasontalk.com website (not Reason feature requests)!
Forum rules
Keep in mind that this forum is for Reasontalk.com suggestions, and not for support on your Reason Studios software.
Skullture

27 May 2016

Guys, there is an edit button, no need to keep post after post going on these threads. I've seen some mods do this as well. I've been on other boards in the past where this was never tolerated. Neither should it be here. :roll:

selig
RE Developer

27 May 2016

Skullture wrote:Guys, there is an edit button, no need to keep post after post going on these threads. I've seen some mods do this as well. I've been on other boards in the past where this was never tolerated. Neither should it be here. :roll:
Can you clarify - what do you mean by "double posting" - do you mean quoting?
:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Skullture

27 May 2016

selig wrote:
Skullture wrote:Guys, there is an edit button, no need to keep post after post going on these threads. I've seen some mods do this as well. I've been on other boards in the past where this was never tolerated. Neither should it be here. :roll:

No, literally making two posts (replies) after each other. Rather than putting it neatly in one post and wait until someone replies to make another one.

orthodox
RE Developer

27 May 2016

I think if you happen to see this, just report it with the orange button. Moderators are unable to check every post.

Edit: I don't know if the button is orange in every skin actually. The one marked with "!" next to "Quote".

selig
RE Developer

27 May 2016

Skullture wrote:
selig wrote:

No, literally making two posts (replies) after each other. Rather than putting it neatly in one post and wait until someone replies to make another one.
So you feel two separate posts is different than one post with two replies? Not trying to be clever here, just not sure I'm following the reasoning - why is this a problem?

Apologies if I'm totally missing your point, I'll eventually get on the same page as you! (And allow me to personally thank you for taking the time to try to make this a better place for everyone)
Selig Audio, LLC

Skullture

28 May 2016

selig wrote:
Skullture wrote:
selig wrote:

So you feel two separate posts is different than one post with two replies? Not trying to be clever here, just not sure I'm following the reasoning - why is this a problem?

Apologies if I'm totally missing your point, I'll eventually get on the same page as you! (And allow me to personally thank you for taking the time to try to make this a better place for everyone)
You can quote two persons in one single reply. Some people feel that they have to do it twice (two seperate replies following each other, causing to cram the page), so this comes over as spamming.

Skullture

28 May 2016

Example: this post. Right after I posted a reply to Selig. This is how we should NOT do it. It's oldschool spamming. :exclamation:

selig
RE Developer

28 May 2016

Skullture wrote:
selig wrote:
Skullture wrote:
selig wrote:

You can quote two persons in one single reply. Some people feel that they have to do it twice (two seperate replies following each other, causing to cram the page), so this comes over as spamming.
OK, but I'll say we have a very different definition of "cramming the page" and especially "spamming".

IMO
Keeping the replies different helps keep discussion sub-theads cleaner IMO: when someone responses to your reply they don't have to edit out the parts that don't apply. Unless you're suggesting they should keep adding to the post - but then talk about cramming the page! Seems more confusing to me.

I'll let Kenni handle make a call on this one, as it seems like a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" thing to me so I'm not the best judge of which approach to take.

Selig Audio, LLC

orthodox
RE Developer

28 May 2016

Skullture wrote:Example: this post. Right after I posted a reply to Selig. This is how we should NOT do it. It's oldschool spamming. :exclamation:
Ah, I see. First I thought you were talking about posts duplicated by mistake.
I don't think 2 consecutive posts is spamming. It can be misused for spamming, and it can be used for splitting a reply into on and off topic parts, for example.

selig
RE Developer

28 May 2016

Skullture wrote:Example: this post. Right after I posted a reply to Selig. This is how we should NOT do it. It's oldschool spamming. :exclamation:

OK this is different than what I thought we were talking about - in this example you added to your previous text but used a second post. Is this what this thread is talking about?
Selig Audio, LLC

Skullture

28 May 2016

selig wrote:

OK this is different than what I thought we were talking about - in this example you added to your previous text but used a second post. Is this what this thread is talking about?
Yes, I have to admit my description was a tad confusing though.. :redface:

selig
RE Developer

28 May 2016

Skullture wrote:
selig wrote:

OK then, I can agree with you it's better to keep all responses in one post where possible, but I hardly see it as anything out of control or as something that hurts the user experience. I guess it's a matter of quantity - if someone does that 3-4 or more times in a row, then yes it's out of control and unnecessary.

To be honest, to date I've not noticed this - yet. Possibly by being made aware of it I will begin to see it more often and more obviously, and will be happy to clean up any messes I spot!

Thanks for taking the time to point this out!
Selig Audio, LLC

Skullture

28 May 2016

selig wrote:
Skullture wrote:
selig wrote:

OK then, I can agree with you it's better to keep all responses in one post where possible, but I hardly see it as anything out of control or as something that hurts the user experience. I guess it's a matter of quantity - if someone does that 3-4 or more times in a row, then yes it's out of control and unnecessary.

To be honest, to date I've not noticed this - yet. Possibly by being made aware of it I will begin to see it more often and more obviously, and will be happy to clean up any messes I spot!

Thanks for taking the time to point this out!
And you thanks for taking note :) it only hurts the user experience sometimes when discussions heat up (reason 9 lol) and you want to keep a decent oversight of the topic itself.

Ostermilk

28 May 2016

In the old days when I was a young whipper-snapper hanging out on bulletin boards I understood SPAM to mean posts of a Self-Promotion, Advertising, Marketing nature hence the acronym.

Nowadays it just seems to be a blanket-term for any kind of netiquette misdemeanor, including trolling and cross-posting.

So no wonder it is difficult to define or understand what a particular problem is anymore.

Ostermilk

28 May 2016

Misuse of multi posting to me is for no other purpose to bump a post so it gets more prominence.

Ostermilk

28 May 2016

...worse still to pad out ones 'post count'.

Ostermilk

28 May 2016

Ostermilk wrote:...worse still to pad out ones 'post count'.
+1

selig
RE Developer

28 May 2016

Ostermilk wrote:In the old days when I was a young whipper-snapper hanging out on bulletin boards I understood SPAM to mean posts of a Self-Promotion, Advertising, Marketing nature hence the acronym.

Nowadays it just seems to be a blanket-term for any kind of netiquette misdemeanor, including trolling and cross-posting.

So no wonder it is difficult to define or understand what a particular problem is anymore.
That's what I thought too. Maybe "flooding" is a better example…
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

28 May 2016

…like so…
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

28 May 2016

…and so…
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

28 May 2016

selig wrote:
Ostermilk wrote:In the old days when I was a young whipper-snapper hanging out on bulletin boards I understood SPAM to mean posts of a Self-Promotion, Advertising, Marketing nature hence the acronym.

That's what I thought too. Maybe "flooding" is a better example…
I mean a better "term", not example…
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

28 May 2016

…for example…
Selig Audio, LLC

Ostermilk

28 May 2016

Me personally I don't think this board suffers too badly on either of these counts generally.

(except when I'm making a point of course... :D )

selig
RE Developer

28 May 2016

Ahh, the simple pleasures of a lazy Saturday morning…
Selig Audio, LLC

Ostermilk

28 May 2016

selig wrote:…for example…
LOL

I think we both got there in the end...

• Information