Reason Electric Bass ReFill - thoughts?

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
xRwu8

27 May 2016

I'm definitely considering grabbing the Reason Electric Bass ReFill while it's on sale. I'm sure many of you have used it for years or tried it before - what are your thoughts? I've been happy before with the Reason Piano and Drum Kits refills, so I'm wondering if it's as good.

Do you feel it's an essential tool to getting a realistic bass sound, short of playing an amped bass and recording it yourself? Or have you been able to fake a realistic bass using stock Reason devices? Lately, I've just been using Subtractor's bass guitar preset with decent success, but they've been electronic songs, so realism hasn't been a huge priority, but that option seems appealing.
:reason: :recycle: :refill: :re: :rt:

PurpleMonkeyDishes

27 May 2016

Music is everything

PurpleMonkeyDishwasher

xRwu8

28 May 2016

PurpleMonkeyDishes wrote:https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/rockinbackre/ Still on sale
Interesting! Do you use it regularly? Is it as good or better than the Props bass refill?

PurpleMonkeyDishes

28 May 2016

xRwu8 wrote:
PurpleMonkeyDishes wrote:https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/rockinbackre/ Still on sale
Interesting! Do you use it regularly? Is it as good or better than the Props bass refill?

Good morning..
Yes for sure, since I got it I have not used the Reason Bass refill. And seen as it is currently less than half the price I paid for it originally it is an absolute no-brainer! 20 bucks well spent if you use real bass guitars.
Music is everything

PurpleMonkeyDishwasher

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

28 May 2016

Reason Bass is brilliant. I use it on nearly all of my non-electro tracks.

decibel

28 May 2016

oh shit, its on sale!, i have wanted this since it came out, and just realized that now i have R8 i can get it :) time to swoop down on my prey it seems lol

Yonatan

28 May 2016

Reason Bass refill is a go-to for me. Softphonics Bass Refill seems very good too, just have not tried it (it is from a Rickenbacker bass).
Reason Bass have several different types of basses. Have seen it is included in the Backline Rig 1 so if you dont have other things in that, it might also be a consideration.

decibel

28 May 2016

Product details

Rockinbackre is essentially an electric bass guitar instrument in the form of a refill. It has been modelled on a very prestigious brand of bass guitars using a number of models from this very guitar range. The mutlisampled Bass guitar models used - 4003 / 4004 / Vintage Maple / Upright

The refill also contains the 'Bass PlayRe' This is a series of combinator patches which have real live bass grooves pre recorded. All you need to do is select the notes and pattern to suit your track. With the Instruments there is a variation you can choose on each sampled bass instrument via the amp settings etc, which helps you get the tone and feel you desire for free playing your riff on your MIDI keyboard. The most realistic bass player you have ever had in your music!
Content

78 Combinators
27 OctRex Patches
190 Dr Rex Loops
7 NNXT Patches
3.6GB 24Bit Multi sampled audio, Pre Packing.
Delivered in Refill Format 1.2GB
Requires Reason 8 or above

Yonatan

28 May 2016

That playRe...I guess its more suited for standard Rock/Pop?

eXode

28 May 2016

Reason Bass is really good. Very playable and with some clever switching (ghost note and slide iirc).

xRwu8

28 May 2016

PurpleMonkeyDishes wrote: Good morning..
Yes for sure, since I got it I have not used the Reason Bass refill. And seen as it is currently less than half the price I paid for it originally it is an absolute no-brainer! 20 bucks well spent if you use real bass guitars.
Wow, that's impressive because the Reason Bass looks super playable and realistic. With the Rockinbackre, are you still using it to manually program realistic bass lines, or have you been using the rex loops and making new ones based off of those? Seems like the loops could be helpful to generate ideas.

Hmm, might have to get both... :puf_bigsmile:

decibel

28 May 2016

xRwu8 wrote:
PurpleMonkeyDishes wrote: Good morning..
Wow, that's impressive because the Reason Bass looks super playable and realistic. With the Rockinbackre, are you still using it to manually program realistic bass lines, or have you been using the rex loops and making new ones based off of those? Seems like the loops could be helpful to generate ideas.

Hmm, might have to get both... :puf_bigsmile:
you can play basslines straight of your midi controller man, get both yeah ;)
seriously for the amount of work that has gone into either of these products they are both excellent value

Ostermilk

28 May 2016

I love REB I picked up a remaindered retail boxed version for peanuts but I'd still pay the sale price to get it as a download if my one spontaneously combusted and I lost my authorization code simultaneously.

You used to be able to get some legit used boxed versions of the classic ol' Props refills at keen prices too but they have become really scarce now.

So I'd say strike while the price is reasonable.

dvdrtldg

28 May 2016

REB is great, the only thing lacking for me is round-robin note samples - if you're doing repetitive single-note stuff and you want to bring it forward in the mix, it's a bit machine-gunny. Otherwise - beautiful sound, highly playable

xRwu8

28 May 2016

Thanks for the input everyone! I picked up Rockinbackre today. I'm gonna let my bank account breathe overnight (bought other stuff too) and gonna revisit if Reason Electric Bass still feels urgent. Almost certainly still gonna want it...

The sale goes through the end of Sunday May 29th, right?

Yonatan

29 May 2016

Remember there is a black friday too...or other sales.
Rockenbackre might be enough for quite a while.
I guess we will soon see an A-list Bass RE too.
Think it is hanging in the air.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

29 May 2016

dvdrtldg wrote:REB is great, the only thing lacking for me is round-robin note samples - if you're doing repetitive single-note stuff and you want to bring it forward in the mix, it's a bit machine-gunny. Otherwise - beautiful sound, highly playable
That's not entirely true (sort of... but not quite! ;) ). REB has both "up" and "down" strokes (think of it as alternating between using index and middle finger to strike). Usually when playing repeated notes you would alternate between the two. So there is effectively two round-robins.

Normally I just create everything in the normal range first, then select all repeated notes and add +36 semitones to put them in the alt stroke sample range to get the alternating. Together with slightly different velocities, it's pretty good imo.
reb1.png
reb1.png (18.62 KiB) Viewed 4859 times
reb2.png
reb2.png (51.05 KiB) Viewed 4859 times

dvdrtldg

29 May 2016

^^^ True dat. I was thinking more of the Johnny Ramone* style of playing, where it's all downstrokes

* Yeah I know Dee Dee was the bass player, but sometimes you just want to hammer it like Johnny

Skullture

29 May 2016

I've used it in my french touch projects. Works great on nu-disco stuff as well. I love it!

PhutureD

29 May 2016

xRwu8 wrote:I'm definitely considering grabbing the Reason Electric Bass ReFill while it's on sale. I'm sure many of you have used it for years or tried it before - what are your thoughts? I've been happy before with the Reason Piano and Drum Kits refills, so I'm wondering if it's as good.

Do you feel it's an essential tool to getting a realistic bass sound, short of playing an amped bass and recording it yourself? Or have you been able to fake a realistic bass using stock Reason devices? Lately, I've just been using Subtractor's bass guitar preset with decent success, but they've been electronic songs, so realism hasn't been a huge priority, but that option seems appealing.
This is s must-have refill if u are looking for realistic bass, highly recommended:)

david1806

28 Apr 2020

I know I am a bit late to the party, but I got REB just now, and saw your message xRwu8, and thought I would give it a shot and see if you are about, and more importantly - did you get Reason Bass, and are you glad that you did?

anko

29 Apr 2020

great refill. :thumbs_up:

also i contacted ph and asked, since i had this refill, whether i could get a 24bit sample refill of this, and guess what, they sent me two 24bit refills, "Reason Electric Bass 24-bit samples - part 1" and "Reason Electric Bass 24-bit samples - part 2". :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

that's some great customer support there! :D

challism

02 May 2020

Wow, talk about resurrecting an old, dead thread. This sucker dates all the way back to 2016. Reason Electric Bass is a great refill. I think it's one of RS's best refills.

Something that was released since this thread started is Reason Electric Bass as a Rack Extension, which is, as I understand it, the refill in RE format with a few added bells and whistles such as mixing between amp and DI, and mixing between pickups. Very similar to what they did with Reason Drum Kits. I don't have REB, but it's included in Reason Suite, so I might have it when R12 rolls out. Suite is looking pretty tempting with all those included REs. And I think I would prefer to have REB in RE format.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason ... ctric-bass
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

arqui

09 May 2020

Too bad this Re has no audio input, it would be great if it had ....
      Reason 11 Suite, perpetual license :reason:

Boombastix
Competition Winner

26 May 2020

I'm guessing with EZ Bass out now this thread can go back to sleep, lol
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

• Information