Mentorship/mentee support

List your suggestions here for the reasontalk.com website (not Reason feature requests)!
Forum rules
Keep in mind that this forum is for Reasontalk.com suggestions, and not for support on your Reason Studios software.
jappe

05 May 2016

A forum is a great place to learn and develop.

But nothing beats a real mentor.

Reasontalk could support mentorship/mentor agreements for short or long periods in some way?

Perhaps every member could have tag icons, where one icon would mean: Looking For Mentor, and another Looking For Mentee.
Or some other way to encourage mentorship relations.

avasopht
Competition Winner

05 May 2016

In absolute alignment.

pushedbutton

05 May 2016

The problem is most experts arrive here knowing everything then use reason for some time and realise they know nothing,
Not you of course, you're an expert.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

avasopht
Competition Winner

05 May 2016

Mentorship needn't be about just mastering reason but could be on leading towards general mastery of the production process, customer relations and general day to day goings on.

Even having someone to sanity check your recording routine or your thoughts about creating a sound library by sampling your homebrew Thor patches because you've not seen the sound you're after.

It could have a tremendous impact on what is produced here :)

Benedict
Competition Winner

05 May 2016

Oh indeed it would be a good idea. That was a lot of the idea behind forums. There are even websites dedicated to exactly this

https://audiu.net

However in my experience, people don't actually want to be mentored. They want to be minted, one quick stamp and they are shiny and famous. Mentoring requires a relationship and time. Neither things seem to suit the modern...

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

avasopht
Competition Winner

05 May 2016

Mentoring requires no major technology, like, say you and I had a mentoring relationship, I'd just call you on skype, we'd chat about XY and Z, .. I'll ask you questions, you'll ask me questions and through the process I'll learn what I need from you and you will have shared your knowledge and experience with someone who will eventually go on to do the same to others.

This thread can be more than enough.

For mentors:

For mentees:

So the only question now is, who is in?

Benedict
Competition Winner

06 May 2016

Yes definitely, Skype is a great way and about the most complex thing required in technology.

I think that if someone really wants support they can/should simply approach the person and ask for the relationship. If the person is experienced enough to be asked they should have some idea on how to proceed.

The person asking for support should be prepared to commit and always show respect so they don't come off as a waste of time. Things like saying thanks and completing any 'homework' set.

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

jappe

06 May 2016

avasopht wrote:Mentorship needn't be about just mastering reason but could be on leading towards general mastery of the production process, customer relations and general day to day goings on.

Even having someone to sanity check your recording routine or your thoughts about creating a sound library by sampling your homebrew Thor patches because you've not seen the sound you're after.

It could have a tremendous impact on what is produced here :)
I hope so too!
The forum is great for a width of learning, and a mentor could find those surgical improvement points when sanity checking.

jappe

06 May 2016

Benedict wrote:Oh indeed it would be a good idea. That was a lot of the idea behind forums. There are even websites dedicated to exactly this

https://audiu.net

However in my experience, people don't actually want to be mentored. They want to be minted, one quick stamp and they are shiny and famous. Mentoring requires a relationship and time. Neither things seem to suit the modern...

That's an inspiring site, thanks for sharing.
True about requiring some effort over time.

Impatient times made me think of this clip: Modern band factory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_WtiYl ... u.be&t=141

• Information