Question about balance.

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
ravisingh

25 Apr 2015

i love my balance but need more outputs for new monitors im going to be adding. is there a way to expand it and keep my balance, at least 4 now?  i need like 4 outputs maybe 2 for headphone, etc.  any comments, suggestions or discussion welcome.  thanks.

EnochLight

25 Apr 2015

ravisingh wrote:i love my balance but need more outputs for new monitors im going to be adding. is there a way to expand it and keep my balance, at least 4 now?  i need like 4 outputs maybe 2 for headphone, etc.  any comments, suggestions or discussion welcome.  thanks.
The only way you would be able to do it currently is to split your existing Balance monitor outputs using some XLR or TRS y-cables, a mixer with multiple monitor outs, or XLR line splitter.  If all you need to do is to add a couple of headphone outs, you can use some y-splitter cables on your existing Balance headphone out, or run your Balance into a hardware mixer that has all of the outputs you need and use the hardware mixer to manage your monitor out, headphone out, etc.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

selig
RE Developer

25 Apr 2015

I suggest folks look into getting monitor sections to go with their audio interfaces for jobs like this. That's the missing component of a studio console - software handles all the rest.

A monitor section includes the ability to switch speakers, monitor in mono, hook up headphones, use "talk back", select different sources for monitoring (like a turntable, CD player, smart phone/mp3 player, etc). 

I've been using the Presonus Central Station for years now for this job, and there are some very useful features with that device IMO. There are plenty of other options as well that can provide this common functionality.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

25 Apr 2015

selig wrote:I suggest folks look into getting monitor sections to go with their audio interfaces for jobs like this. That's the missing component of a studio console - software handles all the rest.

A monitor section includes the ability to switch speakers, monitor in mono, hook up headphones, use "talk back", select different sources for monitoring (like a turntable, CD player, smart phone/mp3 player, etc). 

I've been using the Presonus Central Station for years now for this job, and there are some very useful features with that device IMO. There are plenty of other options as well that can provide this common functionality.
:)
That's a great suggestion.  I was trying to think of cheap/affordable, but ultimately adding a monitor station is the way to go.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

normen

25 Apr 2015

EnochLight wrote:That's a great suggestion.  I was trying to think of cheap/affordable, but ultimately adding a monitor station is the way to go.
Totally, also to easily switch to CD players etc. for comparisons, "blowing out" your ears during mixing etc. I am using this one, might be a bit overblown for most users though ;)

http://audient.com/products/centro-mast ... controller

ravisingh

15 May 2015

hey guys, thought i had already said thanks for your suggestions, but i had not so just wanted to say thanks very much.  it helped a lot!

• Information